Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 19 2013
By: CritRate Sackboy 370 posts

The Last of Us Shiv Guide (Multiplayer)

11 replies 1194 views Edited Jul 19, 2013

The Last of Us Shiv Guide (Multiplayer)

The Shiv can be crafted with a binding and a blade which can be used twice (2 durability). The loadout booster Covert Training grants you a shiv (1 durability) that can be used once (1 durability). The Brawler booster does not increase the durability of a shiv.

Shiv Executions 

Shiv kills can be performed by getting behind an enemy and pressing triangle. Shiv kills can also be performed from the front if the enemy is stunned by a smoke grenade. A green triangle icon will appear when you are in the appropriate position. Note you cannot simply walk into a smoke cloud and press triangle to perform a frontal shiv kill, the enemy must be choking.

CritRate's Shiv Loadout

• Revolver / No long arm
  • Covert Training 1 - Spawn with a shiv
  • Strategist 3 - Know when marked, see nearby enemies on radar, spawn early on an ally
  • Marathon Runner 2 - Increases your sprinting by 30% and decreases your sprint recovery time by 30%
  • Explosion Expert 2 - Increases your explosion radius by 50%

Loadout Explaination

My shiv loadout and playstyle is very aggressive. Covert Training ensures you have at least 1 shiv each life. I chose Strategist 3 over Covert Training 3 (which makes you unmarkable) because Strategist will notify me if marked anyway. I also want the option to spawn early near allies, see the location of nearby enemies. Marathon Runner 2 allows me enough sprinting time to rush in, shiv and rush out. Explosion Expert 2 improves the choking radius of my smoke grenade.

You can see my Shiv loadout in action in my Shiv video guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zIdq91MOWU

Frontal Assault (with Smoke Grenade)

With a smoke grenade, it is possible to engage the enemies from the front. Throw the smoke grenade, move in closer but out of range of the explosion. If you hear a whipping sound, it means your grenade hit an enemy. Even if you hit more than one enemy with the smoke grenade, you will usually have time to shiv just one before the stun effects wear off.

Frontal Assault (without Smoke Grenade)

You can run at an opponent and try to manuever around them, however generally they'll be aiming and turning at you and their looking is faster than your running making it difficult to get behind them. Combine that with the dangers of a one-hit upgraded 2x4 that could take you out before you have time to run around and the odds are against you.

Stealth and Flanking

You can hide visually behind objects or wait in crevices or bathrooms (such as on High School) and wait for opponents to pass by, using the camera (Right Stick) to look around corners. Crouch walk to be less visible, avoid making noise and showing up on radar. (Note: If you plan on stealthing a lot, you may want to trade up something for Covert Training 3, you won't need Strategist 3 because you can't be marked.)

You can reference your teammates' health to see where they are being engaged (+ sign over their heads will change color as they get hurt) in addition to them marking the enemies. The most opportune time to strike is when they are firing at your teammates, crafting items or reviving their teammates.

Getting Out

If attacking a group, have a plan (or atleast a direction to sprint) ready for how you are getting out once you get the shiv off. If undetected stealthing from the rear, you can shiv multiple enemies, just don't sprint until you need to as it will give you off on their radar.

Additional Notes

• Having an upgraded melee weapon can also help if your enemy notices you at the last second.
  • Spamming triangle while approaching them with downed players around may cause you to start reviving or perform a special execution instead of a shiv on your intended target. Same goes for supply caches...

If you guys have any questions, opinions or think of anything I left out, post a reply.

Message 1 of 12 (1,194 Views)
Big Daddy
16326 posts

Re: The Last of Us Shiv Guide (Multiplayer)

Jul 19, 2013

Nice guide.  nothin' quite like a shivving.

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Message 2 of 12 (1,189 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
555 posts

Jul 19, 2013

Do you do the commentary while playing the match?

I like cats :3

Message 3 of 12 (1,180 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
370 posts

Jul 19, 2013

MachoTbig wrote:

Do you do the commentary while playing the match?

Yes and no. I'll record a live commentary track separate from game audio, have notepad open on my other monitor or laptop with a list of related topics to hit that I'll reference.

When editing I'll listen through and any areas that are exceptionally weak where I didn't give all the information I wanted or long awkward silences I'll re-record that segment.

Then I go through my collection of TLOU gameplay footage and find related clips to complement what I said in the commentary to overlay on top of the match.

And that's my general "guide" workflow. 

Message 4 of 12 (1,136 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

Jul 19, 2013
There is also a window of opportunity to shiv someone directly after you hit them with a 2x4.
Message 5 of 12 (1,133 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
529 posts

Jul 19, 2013
Great guide and video :smileyhappy:

calcunnon wrote:
There is also a window of opportunity to shiv someone directly after you hit them with a 2x4.

wow I never noticed that, nice!

'Rock is OP, paper is fine as it is': Scissors

Click This! ---> Youtube
Don't click this! --> Blog
Message 6 of 12 (1,091 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
370 posts

Jul 20, 2013
Yeah I performed the 2x4 Shiv once and got DC'd right after, never tried it again.
Message 7 of 12 (1,043 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
346 posts

Jul 20, 2013

Yea I'm a shiver! I love shiving, mainly going for that circle shiv( What you call Frontasl Assault). Me and my cousin be shiving peple left and right.

I run Crafter 2 (To craft my shivs fast and hopefully gift my cousin smokes)

I'd run covert but I hate that after you craft a shiv if you die before you use a shiv you will lose a notch.

First aid 2 (to heal the people and be able to get armored up more)

Marathon 2(Obvious reasons, Love going on a chase)

and strategist 1 (Just to be like yup I don't know you saw me, hopefully I can get around a corner or doorway and as they turn to catch me I circle shiv them, only fails it I was hawkeyed or the guy is quick to pull the nail board)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bring the Carlton to TLOU

Message 8 of 12 (1,010 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Jul 20, 2013

The loadout is great for doing shiv missions, but I wouldn't want to rely on such a linear style. 

Message 9 of 12 (1,002 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
370 posts

Jul 20, 2013
Too many people with upgraded 2x4s for me to try to circle around in front of them. Maybe I'll try some other techniques but I haven't had much luck getting around more experienced players.
Message 10 of 12 (955 Views)
0 Likes