Sep 25 2013
By: A_Nerd_Slapper Lombax Warrior 200 posts

The Reason The Burst Rifle Glitch Exists

10 replies 637 views Edited Sep 25, 2013
Please read entirely before posting an ignorant comment....

First off, it is not even a glitch at all. The damage the burst rifle does against armor is working as intended. However, that does not mean it should be ignored. Here is a deeper look into how armor works in this game. (Granted i do not know any source code, or actual values of damages. Everything i am stating is from pure gameplay experience over 7 days of clocked gametime.)

The way armor behaves is alittle tricky. But there is one truth about it that everyone seems to understand. Armor can only take so much damage before it breaks. Most weapons require multiple hits to break it, others like the Hunting Rifle and Bow only require one hit.

But there is another property about armor that many people do not notice. ARMOR CAN BE BROKEN IF IT TAKES TOO MUCH DAMAGE IN A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. This allows weapons like the assault rifle, revolver and even the 9mm to break it much fast the burst rifle.

If we look at all the low damage weapons, assault rifle included; they seem to break armor just fine as long as you focus fire and never miss a shot. The 9mm and the Assault Rifle can both break it in 4-5 shots, if you hesitate or even miss one round, it will take 6-8 rounds to break it.

Now when we look at the Burst Rifle, its name should say it all; burst. It should break armor in atleast 2 shots (6 rounds). But this is not always the case. The delay in between each shot of 3 rounds, combined with the vertical recoil of the weapon causing misses; is not enough focus fire to break the armor via "too much damage in very short amount of time"

This leads the armor requiring ATLEAST 3 shots (7-9 rounds) to break it. And by this time your enemy is already planting hits on you and you probably need to reload.

I believe this is truly what happens with the Burst Rifle Armor glitch, and it isnt the only thing that should be addressed. For instance, if i need 5-9 rounds from my 9mm (which is already choking on ammo); why should a wooden arrow from the Bow be able to break its threshold in one hit.

All complaints aside i only propose one idea to the Dev team.

Change how armor behaves and give it a Max Threshold for all weapons across the game. Remove the "Lots of damage in short time frame" property. No more varibles or regenerative properties to the armor.
Just simple amount of rounds needed from each weapon respectively.

5 rounds low damage weapons (9mm, Burst Rifle, Assault Rifle)
3 rounds medium damage weapons (Revolver, Semi- Auto)
2 rounds medium-high damage weapons (Bow, El Diablo, Shorty)
1 round from High damage weapons (Hunting Rifle, Military Sniper, Shotgun)

Message 1 of 11 (637 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Re: The Reason The Burst Rifle Glitch Exists

Sep 25, 2013
Will test tomorrow and report. If it's true kudos to you for figuring it out.
Message 2 of 11 (621 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1872 posts

Sep 25, 2013

Im guessing that you have to put certain damage into the body armour for it to break. Thing is with the Burst Rifle in beginning stage the bullets move up to the head so only one or two bullets from a burst will hit the body armour.

Message 3 of 11 (614 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
143 posts

Sep 25, 2013
Do you really think there is a time factor?

And two bow hits to remove? One is fine.
Message 4 of 11 (608 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Sep 26, 2013
aim at the knee cap, once down, shoot the armor pieces and burn the body
www.youtube.com/arolsouls - Come by my channel to experience some of the best LoU vids, including sick plays, tutorials, commentaries and general entertaining quality content.
Message 5 of 11 (551 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
248 posts

Sep 26, 2013

Armor only adds 50% health. So one shot burst should destroy. Don't understand your issue.

~Do the Impossible, See the Invisible~
 photo 751de066-2c16-41a9-adff-091a26c3fdf9.jpg
Message 6 of 11 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1872 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 26, 2013

If one burst should destroy it then thats why it does not get destroyed because only one or two bullets of the burst rifle hit the body armour. So say for example that it takes three bullets (one BR burst) to break the body armour then thats why its not breaking. IDK though thats just a guess. Btw Im not saying it takes three bullets Im just using it as a example. I presume that all three bullets from the BR would have to hit the body armour for body armour to come off (whatever the amount of bullets/bursts is needed to break the body armour has to presumably hit the body armour) I could be wrong though although I do like theory discussions Smiley Happy If OP is correct with it being 6 bullets (two bursts) to break and only four of those bullets are hitting the body armour when it needs 6 to break then it wont break.

Message 7 of 11 (493 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Sep 26, 2013

5 rounds low damage weapons (9mm, Burst Rifle, Assault Rifle)
3 rounds medium damage weapons (Revolver, Semi- Auto)
2 rounds medium-high damage weapons (Bow, El Diablo, Shorty)
1 round from High damage weapons (Hunting Rifle, Military Sniper, Shotgun)

You mention this section at the end of your Post. As someone stated, All armor does is add 50% Extra Health to your Head and Body. Which seems to translate to 50 Extra health. This additional added health is just like your Health Bar, which is why "damaged" armor will lead to the game telling you can you buy New armor, despite still having a full set currently equipped.  and you are correct about the Damage of the Burst Rifle, as it is comparable to the 9mm Pistol, doing about 1 bar per Body shot. here is the issue people have, it takes about 5 Shots(2 bursts) to remove Armor with a  Burst rifle. The 9mm in my experiance only takes 3 shots to remove armor, same with the Assault rifle. the 3 shot down weapons take 2 shots and anything else require only 1 to remove armor. Yet the Burst Rifle always seems to require atleast 4-5 Bullets to remove armor. which is more than the Free hand guns. I beleive this is why people have such an issue with the Burst Rifle VS Armor Issue. I think they really want is the Burst Rifle to be more effective at the range its ment to be used at, Close and have it be effective against Armor like the other weapons

Message 8 of 11 (488 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Sep 26, 2013
Hey, not of my information is concrete. Im only sharing what i seem to notice about how armor behaves.

Just want us players to actually give feedback of our experiences in game, so that this info can be used to implement any changes correctly.

Some interesting info here. Someone mentioned that a Burst Rifle shot probably hits the helmet also, with its vertical recoil this makes sense. And could def contribute to the gripe that armor absorbs way too many Burst Rifle rounds.

There is one more thing i didnt mention. Whenever u hit armor with a bullet, it leaves a pock mark in the armor itself. Maybe hitting these already pocked spots on armor is what actually breaks it.

That would explain why Burst Rifle doesnt fare well against armor. (Recoil makes it nearly impossible to hit same spot twice). Where as with the 9mm it breaks it easier. (Ability to keep shots on target,low recoil, better chance to hit a previously pocked mark)

I dont know, thread is pure speculation anyway. Only ND knows the real stats to how armor operates. I just hope they adjust it fairly without leaving other weapons with the same issues the Burst Rifle had.

Message 9 of 11 (454 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3478 posts

Sep 26, 2013

I concur with 2 shots from a bow and all the other weapons as well. Think your wrong about the time factor though

Message 10 of 11 (438 Views)
0 Likes