Highlighted
Aug 28 2013
By: DEATH__MACHINIST Treasure Hunter 3825 posts

The future of Naughty Dog multiplayers.

[ Edited ]
18 replies 529 views Edited Aug 28, 2013

I'm trying not to any way make this out to be a rank, but a sharing my thoughts on the future of ND titles.

Naughty Dog in my eyes has always made multi players that are near perfect, but always having one or two things about them that just simply don't make any sense or they take things that were near perfection and break them.

I have a list that I believe should be taken into consideration for any future ND game that I believe will push their next title into over throwing the top selling giants of the multi player industry.

1st off.

Welfare systems.

This system that was present in U3 and the last of us is no excuse for bad match making.
Giving the loosing team free kills, letting them see players behind walls, giving half health, and singling out a player to be killed for more points is not balance, and does not make players feel like they really one the match, but does anger a customer that is doing things right.

Welfare systems in games may not break or change the score for the winning team, but it also doesn't make the losing team learn what they did wrong.

Losing is a learning experience, just as much as winning is.

You learn more getting your butt whooped by good players than you learn beating the pants off newbies.

I believe that your community wants balance, wants to win by skill, doesn't want help by the game, and wants to become better on their own.

Giving easy kills with out earning them does the opposite of this.

Relying on generous crates when losing, getting power plays, getting free medals for doing bad, does not teach a learning curve but in turn hinders it.

2.  Load outs

Some times the simplest thing can be the best thing.

Balanced has never really been achieved through load outs and choosing your gun for that load out on a ND game.

At least in my eyes, and I'm sure many others from what I have talk to.

Guns laying on the map like Uncharted 2 was the most balanced gun play I have ever experience in a shooter, from COD, BF, Halo, U3, Unreal tournament,  Golden eye, and The last of us including a list to long to write here.

Going back to U2 style of guns laying on the map where you get to use what you pick up and having players fighting for power weapons is a very very balanced game.

Battle field 3 has this in a scavenger mode which many players go that are good with every thing, and separates the players that are good, with the players that are good with A certain gun.

Match Making

It has become completely clear to me why match making is so broken in this game.

That one thing dare I too say is, that players can see the levels of their opponents before they commit to the match.

If I use my acct that's lvl 130, I have a very difficult time finding a match.

Not because players aren't there, because they see my level and others in my party and leave the lobby quickly.

Levels 0-10 always stay, seeming to me that they don't know any better.

This leaves only new players to get destroyed, ruining the player base and dropping the player pool.

This feature I admit, I use to check the languages of the players in lobby to see if I would want to play that match.

I can assume their lag to some extent.

This causes me to have low lag matches on this title, some thing I can not say ever about a ND game.

Matches should be mixed of high and low levels, but never high solely against low.

Even if its a party, find another party. Don't put your new players in with vets when they cant even aim yet.

Welfare system does not fix this.

With all this noob stomping going on I would ask for this.

Before you commit to the match like we have now, remove the level icons and replace them with the players ping.

Not in just bars, but numbers. My cell phone shows bars, and they mean crap.

Consistency

Make your games more consistent.

A bullet pattern for one person should be exactly the same for everyone, rate of fire should be the same for everyone, scope should be the same for everyone, offering no upgrades to gun giving anyone an advantage with some thing that is not a power weapon. This like I said goes hand in hand with weapons removed from your load outs.

Giving people a choice in weapons, upgrading does not make things balanced.

It makes things balanced when everyone figures out the most powerful combination and separates new players with out the unlocks even further.

Leveling system.

I believe that the steep nail biting leveling system of Uncharted 2 is one of the main reasons I found the game so addicting, and I still feel I have unfinished business over there never reaching max.

A leveling system should be hard, should require long periods of time into the game, have rewards, and should have a KNOWN level cap.

Goals in leveling in online game play breed addiction to that game.

We as the human race are prone to risk reward stimulation, any one with one class of psychology in college can tell you that.

With this type of leveling system should also come xp events, or weekends.

These 2X,3X, events not only keep the game flowing, but they let your customers know or at least give the appearance that your working hard on their game.

Games are competitive with each other and should rightfully so reflect that.

With this in mind, ND Xp events should be absolutely in direct conflict with COD'S, Battlefield's, or any other competitive multiplier currently running at the same time as a ND title.

Your cable stations put their top programs on at certain time slot to make you choose them over another program, games should too.

This is part of marketing.

Make your game good, make leveling hard, and make xp events happen at the same time as competitors.

Steal your customers and make them stay.

Unlocks and Missions

Unlocks, skins, awards, "bling" should be some thing that does not give advantages over other players but must

be based on skill to earn and not a lottery of luck.

This can be missions ranging from easy to extremely hard.

These missions you should NOT be able to fail, but require you to do special things to unlock them.

What I mean is they should be missions like   ex. 1000 kills with a certain weapon, 1000 head shots, kill four players with one grenade, capture 500 idols in plunder. These should never be time based, and should not need to be in a chain ie. 1000 kills with hunting rifle but cant use anything else or it resets.

Character skins, masks, emblems, taunts, and accessories can all fit into this.

These should in no way give players an advantage in themselves but show others that you did some thing that took time and patience.

Each game mode should have these as separate.

Game modes and leader boards.

Game modes other than just death match kill based game play should come stock at the games release.

Objective based game modes require skill just the same as kill based ones do.

These should be there upon release because adding these modes late may bring players back, but back up against players that haven't left and have acquired or mastered the skill set of the game.

Plunder, capture the flag, objectives, game modes like hunting rifle only, should be there, not the promise that you'll get to it.

All of these should in my opinion have their own respective leader boards.

For plunder type modes the leader board should NOT count kills, but count captures, wins, and protectorate type stats.

Global leader boards for wins should count all modes.

KDR should NOT have a leader board but still be present on them.

PPM can usually on almost every single game I played be easily faked.

Never should you have a leader board where a stat can be easily faked.

Players should have the option to have their stats tracked globally or not.

Players stats can be only visible to them or who they choose, on the lines of how facebook does with your profile.

Stats are some thing that keeps players playing, they should be embraced by the developers and should be highly watched for boosting and faking them.

Those who opt out, can never have to even worry about them and the players that play for them will have it their way as well.

I want to be the reason you're looking down at your phone laughing as you walk into a pole.
Message 1 of 19 (529 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3825 posts

Re: The future of Naughty Dog multiplayers.

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2013

Updated at 4.07 8-28

I want to be the reason you're looking down at your phone laughing as you walk into a pole.
Message 2 of 19 (527 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17666 posts

Aug 28, 2013
Matchmaking is appalling, but if players stick around in no parties mode, players do shuffle and rotate.
In party mode my teams almost always annihilate folk. It would be mixed to have the system try to match po4 to po4. Happened a lot in uncharted.

I don't really have any issues with your other issues. Welfare systems make poor players believe they have a chance, so maybe they stick around. I don't think it decides many games.

I think that a lot of the deaths at game end are from the winning team throwing caution away hunting the last man.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 3 of 19 (490 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Aug 28, 2013

DEATH__MACHINIST wrote:

Before you commit to the match like we have now, remove the level icons and replace them with the players ping.

Agreed. People tend to judge others by their rank.

I'd prefer to just see PSN IDs and their latency (bars, milliseconds or bars & milliseconds <-- make it an option).

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 4 of 19 (452 Views)
Naughty Paw
11911 posts

Aug 28, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

DEATH__MACHINIST wrote:

I'd prefer to just see PSN IDs and their latency (bars, milliseconds or bars & milliseconds <-- make it an option).

I made a thread about the leaderboards a while back, including rankings.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-General/No-Numbered-Rankings-in-Multiplayer/td...

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 5 of 19 (440 Views)
Splicer
81 posts

Aug 28, 2013
You made some very good points here especially about UC2 weapons and the "power play" system which favors the team who is getting blown out.

The weapons being unbalanced has been an issue since UC3, not all but majority of the people use M9 on multiplayer and now, the SAR on TLOU. In UC2, you could literally pick up ANY weapon in the game and be dominant with it and part of that reason is the weapons were fairly balanced. Maybe that's why I played UC2 MP for a long time, due to variety of weapons and several game modes.

The power play system in TLOU doesn't bother me as much because I understand why they did it but the weapon balance issue is annoying. I'd like to see more people use other weapons besides the SAR but I don't blame them and guess what I still use it a lot too 102 weeks in. There is a reason 90% of the people use this weapon only... I think this is the main reason the multiplayer is getting boring for me. And yes, I've tried every other weapons but it turns me off the fact that they're all so inferior to the SAR. Fully upgraded hunting rifle vs Fully upgraded SA.... Wait you can beat it with a non upgraded SAR. You get shot once while you're aiming with a HR, next thing you know you're aiming at a freaking sky, lol.

This MP is great, no doubt. It's a different pace and team work based multiplayer which I love. But you can't deny it's tacked on, only 2 game modes? You've gotta be kidding me...
Message 6 of 19 (436 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Aug 28, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

DEATH__MACHINIST wrote:

I made a thread about the leaderboards a while back, including rankings.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-General/No-Numbered-Rankings-in-Multiplayer/td... 

Too bad ND ignored your feedback. Smiley Sad

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 7 of 19 (433 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Aug 28, 2013
@scootgar The matchmaking system used to bother me sooo much but since I got the skull mask and everything, it doesn't bother me anymore. Seriously though, this needs to be fixed.
Message 8 of 19 (431 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3825 posts

Aug 28, 2013

I added too it now that I'm off work.

Tell me what you guys think.

Message 9 of 19 (377 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
245 posts

Aug 28, 2013

I'm quite agree with you, especially about your reward system. To get some new clothes, hats and stuff like that for succeeding some missions sounds very cool. Smiley Very Happy

Actually, customization is very poor in TLOU MP, we need some fresh items who DO NOT advantage the player like in U3 (worst idea ever imo). And if it's linked with your skill, it could be awesome !

Message 10 of 19 (352 Views)
0 Likes