Splicer
81 posts

Re: The future of Naughty Dog multiplayers.

Aug 28, 2013
Hunting Rifle only game mode sounds fun.
Message 11 of 19 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4343 posts

Aug 28, 2013

1. Outside of Mario Kart I can't think of any other game that even has a welfare system. Even CoD got ride of the whole "deathstreaks" thing. I don't die 5x in a row in Black Ops 2 and suddenly the game gives me pity and gives me more health, second stand for free, or a free scorestreak. Giving people hand outs when their doing poorly is a short term solution to a long term problem. People have to develope skills as a player on their own, without the aid of in game mechanics holding them up. It just spoils people and ruins the competitive atmosphere in general.

2. Loadouts aren't really a issue and balance can be achieved with them. ND just needs to balance things out on their own, having/no having loadouts does not directly mean the game is either A. balanced or B. not balanced

3. I have a slightly different mentality of matchmaking. I do it for two reasons. One I enjoy curb stomping noobs lol. Seriously a lot of people do. Two I enjoy running into tryhards and giving them the GOML. Point being is I don't take matchmaking all that seriously due to the fact that if I want fair/balanced competition I sign up for a league/ladder. To me matchmaking is like strolling through the park and playing a game of X or Y. It's fun and I am at the basic level being competitive but it's not always going to be balanced/super serious.

I mean people will complain about noob stomping because they think it's "unfair". As soon as you make matchmaking based on level people will complain about the next logic thing "lag" or "how hard people try". People will always complain at the end of the day. Turthfully I do believe focusing on a Ping based matchmaking is the best solution. No matter how bad the other team is, no matter how hard their trying, online gamers greatest foe will forever be lag and I think we can all agree on thaat. Matchmaking should do as much as possibe to reduce that latency between players.

Sorry level only means how much experience a player has in the multiplayer. I've seen level 100+ in TLOU do worse than people who haven't even completed a journey. I've played against prestige masters in BO2 get handled by people half their prestige rank. If you want to do matchmaking based on actual skill emulate the league mode found in other competitive multiplayer games, introduce a ladder to the multiplayer and match people based on that.

Also can we seriously drop the whole "bars" thing and just give us Ping numbers like on PC seriously....Is there some technical issue prevent devs from doing that on consoles or what?

4. I have no idea what your trying to get a consistency...As as for the whole "most powerful combination" statement. I've said this a thousands times and I'll say it again. This isn't a particularly special or unique problem with ND games, it's just common in the multiplayer space in general. Any multiplayer game has it's tiers which are established by player base. At the top tier level everyone is going to want to be on equal ground and if that means everyones rocking the same loadout than what's the issue? When I watch major fighting tournaments I see people using the top tier characters pretty often.

There's a tier for everything. Even in real life certain things are just going to be better than others. Weapons, characters, etc...their just tools for the player to use. If you wanna compete your gonna want the best toolset right?

5. Leveling up isn't really an issue I care all that much about. I only find fault with it when people that are of higher level in a game have a significant advantage over those that are of lower level. Obviously it's natural for people higher level to get rewards for their grind up but the game should be balanced overall as well. For example when the FAL-SS was OP as hell in Uncharted 3 it was kind of BS that people who prestige/legacy/whatever basically lost their FAL-SS and then ran into people of higher level who did have it and were at a clear disadvantage. Other multiplayer games are serious offenders of this as well but you get my point.

6. I don't care about missions/unlocks. If I can make my character look like a chicken great, if not I am not crying over it. End of the day being able to change the appearance of my avatar in game that's great. Just make sure it's for aesthetic purposes only overwise that's a whole different layer of balance the developers are going to have to factor in.

7. Game modes should be thoughtfully planned out and balanced for competitive play. That's what really matters. Just because the mode seems "cool" or "fun" doesn't mean it's going to be balanced or have that same appeal 100x over. Just look at those brilliant "cinematic sequences" introduced in Uncharted 3 multiplayer. The appeal of that sure ran out fast huh? As for leaderboards who cares? Doesn't affect the minute to minute gameplay so it's not of concern to me.

Message 12 of 19 (169 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Aug 28, 2013

GMRcris wrote:

Also can we seriously drop the whole "bars" thing and just give us Ping numbers like on PC seriously....Is there some technical issue prevent devs from doing that on consoles or what?

Game devs think that console gamers are uneducated peasants compared to the PC master race.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 13 of 19 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14139 posts

Aug 28, 2013

I agree with everything except the leveling thing.

The Uncharted 2 leveling is why I quit playing U2 as much before U3 even launched.

I grew tired of the barrier infront of my face and ND moving the goal posts as I'm about to score.

Bottom line to that, takes too long out of someones life if they have one and moving the goal is just a horrible thing to do

Message 14 of 19 (141 Views)
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Aug 28, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

GMRcris wrote:

Game devs think that console gamers are uneducated peasants compared to the PC master race.

Gah, I know. I know for a fact that people playing TLoU are FAR more confused by the connection bars system than they would be if there was a simple number indicating the player's ms ping.

"I have zero bars, huh."

"Me too"

"yeah me too, but you have 4 on my screen bro"

"This isn't confusing in the slightest!"

Message 15 of 19 (137 Views)
Big Daddy
16970 posts

Aug 28, 2013
Someone was being ridiculous.

You couldn't dominate with "any" weapon in UC2. Only the AK and fal were freely available, and by therelease if uc3,, only the AK was useful due to lag and bunny hopping.
[ 39 ]
Message 16 of 19 (123 Views)
Splicer
81 posts

Aug 28, 2013
@scootgar Maybe I exaggerated by saying "any" but weapons are far more balanced in UC2 than weapons in TLOU.
Message 17 of 19 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Aug 28, 2013
What do you mean AK was the only useful weapon by the release of U3? I can pick up any weapon in that game and get my kill streak going. Funny thing is, I use my pistol more than I do wit an AK so idk what you're trying to say there. Lol at bunny hopping, maybe your aim is just bad if your only way to kill those people is with an AK.
Message 18 of 19 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3465 posts

Aug 29, 2013

I scanned through it, and it seems I agree with almost everything, good points! Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 19 (85 Views)
0 Likes