Jul 25 2013
By: MaidenVelka Hekseville Citizen 339 posts

Two Things That are Still Ruining MP for me

21 replies 618 views Edited Jul 25, 2013

1. Late Joining.  Even if it is just one round joining in late, it handicaps the experience.  That's a precious round in which you could have earned many parts.  I don't understand why this is an option at all.  Why does the game bother to have late joins?  It should be that if someone quits out, the other team is given an incentive to also leave, so that the match is down to 3 vs 3.  Something like, either one player can take a buyout of 3000 parts, OR, be given the exact amount to neither lose nor gain any survivors, then adding on the parts already earned in the match.  Call me crazy, but I would absolutely take a buyout and move on to the next round, so long as it didn't cost me any of my clan.

2. Far too many parts are becoming required.  Even though I'm just on week 5, it is becoming impossible to keep up.  If your team does well then forget about it, you are definitely not going to get your required parts.  If your team is doing only ok, or poorly, you might make the requirement, but if you are doing too poorly, and getting killed too quickly, then you don't have a chance either.

Note: This is clearly both complaints regarding the metagame.  If your reply is anything related to fogetting about the metagame, then don't bother.  I absolutely care, as the mp isn't quite compelling enough outside of the metagame to have me play it.

Message 1 of 22 (618 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Re: Two Things That are Still Ruining MP for me

Jul 25, 2013

MaidenVelka wrote:

1. Late Joining.  Even if it is just one round joining in late, it handicaps the experience.  That's a precious round in which you could have earned many parts.  I don't understand why this is an option at all.  Why does the game bother to have late joins?  It should be that if someone quits out, the other team is given an incentive to also leave, so that the match is down to 3 vs 3.  Something like, either one player can take a buyout of 3000 parts, OR, be given the exact amount to neither lose nor gain any survivors, then adding on the parts already earned in the match.  Call me crazy, but I would absolutely take a buyout and move on to the next round, so long as it didn't cost me any of my clan.

2. Far too many parts are becoming required.  Even though I'm just on week 5, it is becoming impossible to keep up.  If your team does well then forget about it, you are definitely not going to get your required parts.  If your team is doing only ok, or poorly, you might make the requirement, but if you are doing too poorly, and getting killed too quickly, then you don't have a chance either.

Note: This is clearly both complaints regarding the metagame.  If your reply is anything related to fogetting about the metagame, then don't bother.  I absolutely care, as the mp isn't quite compelling enough outside of the metagame to have me play it.

I understand about point 1. however it happens so rarely that I don't really care too much and also you never get put in that late, usually with 17-19 lives left or so.

Point 2. Well, you do sound like you maybe are not that good at it? Or are not choosing the right perks and boosters to enable you to get your parts? Choose healing and reviver with a per booster and you'll get your parts, as long as you do stay close to your team and heal them and revive etc, mark enemies for free points too.

I play in a team who may loose one match every 30-40 or so! And I regulary get my supplies (90+) and alsways try choosing the right perks to assist.

Message 2 of 22 (588 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Jul 25, 2013
Last gamesession happened to me twice. Joins on the losing teams with 8 reinforcements left, both times. I opened my first box and All I got was 3 different items, which I could do nothing about. Lost the first of those two with 1/0/3/0, but managed to do good on the other with 9/7/1/2, finishing top on my team even though we lost. Point is, at least throw me a bone, something, so I can stand a chance against assault rifles, armor, shotguns and all their crafted items. First of those two, besides losing 60% of my clan, I also got a negative 57 supplies. Second, got +48 supplies, but that was after the massacre which almost had me restart a journey. So while I think the metagame usa fun way to go about the multiplayer, it is at times, retarded.
Message 3 of 22 (554 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42149 posts

Jul 25, 2013

StarJT26 wrote:

MaidenVelka wrote:

I understand about point 1. however it happens so rarely that I don't really care too much and also you never get put in that late, usually with 17-19 lives left or so.

Point 2. Well, you do sound like you maybe are not that good at it? Or are not choosing the right perks and boosters to enable you to get your parts? Choose healing and reviver with a per booster and you'll get your parts, as long as you do stay close to your team and heal them and revive etc, mark enemies for free points too.

I play in a team who may loose one match every 30-40 or so! And I regulary get my supplies (90+) and alsways try choosing the right perks to assist.

Does it strike anyone else as 'odd' that you have to have a particular loadout or play a particular 'class' just to handle the upkeep of more survivors later on?  Once you hit a certain point of survivors in your clan, you have to switch over to mainly a 'Medic' role to just keep them healthy cause playing by your normal means just isn't enough.

The meta game is poorly implemented.  The way it's 'tacked' on right now is more of a headache most of the time as you're wondering if you're going to make your quota, is counterproductive at times to team play (people concerned about missions so they get tunnel vision in completing that) and seems like it could have been way more meatier in it's execution.  Instead of just piling on more and more survivors to the point where people can't keep up, there should have been more management involved (I don't have enough supplies for x amount of new survivors so I can't allow them to stay with me or since New Survivor B has better skills than Survivor D in my clan already, I'll tell Survivor D to pack his stuff so I can make room for New Survivor B) which would allow people to play to their styles throughout and still enjoy the meta game overall.

Message 4 of 22 (539 Views)
Limit Breaker
17639 posts

Jul 25, 2013
You can keep up in week 5?

How many survivors are you talking about? You should be able to maintain 50-60 extremely easy, and 60-80 with consistent good games.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 5 of 22 (524 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Jul 25, 2013

I also feel the metagame needs some tweaking. I'm level 101, rank 8 (cross, 2 dots and 2 dashes) and I average around 100-120 survivors for the majority of each 12 week journey. I agree that the system for challenges and the parts to supplies conversion all ends up distorting the experience for players, making it so that if we want to do well in the metagame we have to sacrifice our own playstyle and play different ways to how we'd like, just to get the supplies and the survivors we want. For the last two or so 12 weeks I've done I've started just focusing on how I want to play, sacrificing the highest scores I'd be capable of with the right load-outs and so sacrificing higher numbers of survivors. To an extent I'm ok with this but I also just feel that it really takes away from a players enjoyment of the game, especially considering that as the OP stated, doing overly well as a team in matches often results in each individuals score lacking in that team. 

Overall I think that there definitely needs to be higher degrees of winning team supply buffs. Maybe something like supply bonuses relating to how many tickets the winning team has left at the end of the match (in supply raid) and bonuses relating to how many rounds a team won by (in survivors). For all I know there may already be such bonuses in place but if so then they should be increased. Good players and good teams that co-operate and work well (like the game intends them to do) should not have their scores hindered by doing so. This is because even though people can argue that in this case people should just use first aid and crafter etc, there's already the obvious hindrance that if your team is doing well enough, you get no items from boxes and you most likely have little healing to do, making having those skills pointless. 

This game encourages team-work and cooperation to win, but seems to punish the scores of those teams on average if they do exceedingly well at it and win big. It's a contradiction and should be fixed.

Message 6 of 22 (487 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Jul 25, 2013

How about this: You do not care about your clan.

Seriously, it's an extra addition, it only unlocks some customization items, not a big deal at all. I've stopped caring about my clan and only doing enough for it to survive once I finished the journey on both Fireflies and Hunters. 

Message 7 of 22 (470 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7056 posts

Jul 25, 2013

Your point number 2 is invalid, because no matter how good you are, you'll eventually find yourself peaking on how many parts you can achieve and therefor not being able to get enough parts from then on until you get hit by a hunter/firefly attack, or lose enough people that you start making your quota again.

Even if you were good enough to get 150 supplies each match, your population would eventually grow so that you would need slightly more than that to stay stable, and thus you would start not being able to get enough. What I'm saying is it's impossible to make you quota all of the time, and the only way people make it most of the time is because their population keeps getting cut by hunter/firefly attacks.

Message 8 of 22 (456 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Jul 25, 2013
^ This. It is very to do well enough to unlock everything once you've got some experience under the belt, after which you will find you have absolutely no reason to care about the metagame at all. I actually let Fireflies kill off my clan en masse during Attacks just so I can farm surplus suppies for Boosters (which I then hoard and never use, lol)

The important thing is getting enough parts to actually do well in the current game you are playing (for upgrades, etc.) Your clan size is just a number that's only significant if you let it be.

I should also point out that whether your team is winning or losing has absolutely no bearing to the amount of parts you can get. I have had games where it was a complete massacre on my side and still manage to get 2000 parts more than all the players on the other team. Why? Because boxes reward you with extra Parts, and more supplies to craft items when you are losing, so much so that it's often enough to offset any you could have gotten from killing the team, especially if you run Crafter 3. The important thing is staying alive to actually get those parts for playing the game. If you're one of those idiots that like to rush ahead then you deserve whatever you get.
Message 9 of 22 (445 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Jul 25, 2013

lol741 wrote:

How about this: You do not care about your clan.

Seriously, it's an extra addition, it only unlocks some customization items, not a big deal at all. I've stopped caring about my clan and only doing enough for it to survive once I finished the journey on both Fireflies and Hunters. 

Yes that is an option and fair enough to you if that's what you want to do. For me though I want to still do well and importantly I enjoy challenging myself to keep high on the leaderboards. I play supply raid nearly exclusively and on the supply raid leaderboards I'm ranked around 1600 when I last saw it last night and I want to get as high as I can. I just feel that the way the game is set up that if you want to get the highest scores everything has to be just right and it's not even entirely in your hands. First you can't necessarily play the way you want to, the support skills are usually vital for the highest scores and not everyone wants to use those skills, then provided you do use them you need to hope that your team doesn't decimate the opposing team so that you can actually use those skills and get points from them each match. Similarly you need to hope that your team doesn't get decimated. Often one player can do well, maybe the best on both teams, but if the team is bad then they get smashed and he/she only just gets a positive supply result, but more often a negative. On the winning side though, if more than one player is doing particularly well then it's much less likely that either will get a high score in terms of what they'd average if they alone were doing well. 

Ultimately, the meta-game system and the in-match game often contradict each other. The better your team is at quickly and co-operatively beating the other team, the worse on average each individual players score on that winning team will be. That shouldn't be the case. It takes away from the enjoyment and the reward that that team gets for winning so well.

Message 10 of 22 (440 Views)
0 Likes