Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 07 2014
By: SanchoWest PlayStation MVP 70 posts

What would be your strategy? 3 vs 4 Bows +Shivs Only Rd1 Match 3 (DAM)

10 replies 170 views Edited Mar 7, 2014

Hello guys and gals,

http://youtu.be/3wxAI22PF0E

Here is the last match from the first round of Reddit's Bow+Shiv Only Tournament (which is now cancelled).

Anyways, I've been asking the TLOU communities what they would have done in this situation?

Clearly the other team expertly countered our "camping" strategy by selecting The Dam which enable them to destroy us again.  

Look forward to hearing from PSN Forum community, 

SW

SanchoWest Gaming: Comedy and Good Honest Gaming
Twitter: @SanchoWest
Facebook: facebook.com/sanchowestgaming
YouTube: YouTube.com/SanchoWest
Twitch: Twitch.TV/SanchoWest
Message 1 of 11 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1292 posts

Re: What would be your strategy? 3 vs 4 Bows +Shivs Only Rd1 Match 3 (DAM)

Mar 7, 2014

There really wasn't much you could do with the map you got delt sancho. 

Myself I would of tried to get into a shootout with the other team from a mid distance.

I would of had one player crouched healing the other two with FAT 3 and Revivor 3

With the other two I would of ran Sharp Shooter 3 Bow and revivor 2 and FAT 1 or collector 2 to be able to buy more arrows. 

Probably would of ended the same though. 3v4 is tough no matter how you slice it. 

Message 2 of 11 (166 Views)
PlayStation MVP
70 posts

Mar 8, 2014

That's a good idea. The only place that would be possible would be on the dam itself. It has clean sight lines and the flanks are defendable becuase it would take the 4 player a long time to flank. 

Pockets heals are a must. Once my partner and I figured that out, we were able to take down a couple of them. 

I didn't think of that, SS 3 would have help shoot through the fog and assist the other teammates with potential head shots.

Good ideas there! 

Message 3 of 11 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Mar 12, 2014

Idk if a bump from page 4, 5 days ago qualifies as a necro, but I waned to weigh in here.

Personally I think starting off camping was what lost it for ya. As soon as they got that life-lead it was too big of a hill to climb. You needed to grab that life lead and run. MR2 I think would have been key here. As you said, flanking on the Dam takes time and it would have split up their firepower. You needed to force them to do this. If you could get one or two to head round to your flank, you can then stop running and go and engage one party either 3v2 or 3v1, If they refused, and stuck to eachother like glue, and you have the life-lead, you coulda outrun them all day, frustrated them and forced them to take risks and expose themselves to pick off 1 or 2 before you kept running. I think the only way you could have ever won was to force mistakes and capitalize on them while co-ordinating your movements and playing as safe as possible to limit your own mistakes. Engaging at distance, running, behind cover, let the sprint regen, take a few shots, try to get atleast one gone, and then back on the run. Rinse, repeat.

Two with MR2, FAT3 and Covert 2, and one with MR2, Reviver 3, and Covert 2 woulda probably been my choice.

I woulda started off the match two flanking and when their scout was calling you out, woulda had one move in from the other side to get that early down, and then run. As soon as it looked like they may get one of you, woulda bugged out. The whole match would have been pretty much just us running away.

But who can say.. This may not have worked any more than your strategy did, but dat map.. You were boned no matter what really. Only thing that can be said is that some strategies may have given you a slightly better chance at pulling out dat miracle.

___________________________________________________________________________________
PSN - ArctiC_HazE--

UK player, terrible connection, but add me if you wanna play.
Message 4 of 11 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1724 posts

Mar 13, 2014
Arctic haze Mr2, fat 3 and covert 2= 13 pts no pts for the bow. I think maybe mr2 ,fat 1, covert 3 and bow wouldve been interesting. Mr2 , covert 2 and reviver 3= 11 points maybe that one just switch reviver 3 for reviver 2 =10 with bow 13 .

However your strategy sounds like would've worked better however all pure speculation . It was a tough hand they were dealt.
Message 5 of 11 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
616 posts

Mar 13, 2014

You got lucky with your camping.

I would have attacked non-stop.

Because that's what the group of 4 wouldn't expect.

Message 6 of 11 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Mar 13, 2014

My strategy would be to get destroyed by sancho and his team while my team ragequits leaving me alone

:smileylol:

Message 7 of 11 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 13, 2014

@INCAN Yeah that was silly of me lol. 

Bow, MR2, FAT3, Reviver 1

Bow, MR2, Rev 3, FAT1 

Bow, MR2, Covert 2, Rev 2

I actually had no idea how much Rev 2/3 cost. Have never used them lol.

@ Lordi Come on man that's a little harsh don't you think? Sure luck was a factor, and they were very lucky but regardless of that it was some world-class teamwork and excellent co-ordination in my opinion.

Attacking relentlessly may have worked if you could continuously kept them split and pinned the spawn points down but first you gotta get it to that point and you'd have to hit them pretty hard and fast to do that. The wider your swing and more power you put into your punch also leaves you that much more vulnerable, and if they'd gotten the life lead and holed up in High School, there'd be no coming back 3vs4.

@SanchoWestIf you don't mind some constructive criticism, I'd like to offer some analasys. I'm a Bow main. 3/4 of my loadouts have one. I watched all 3 matches. Gotta say I think Checkpoint isn't too bad a map. Dam or Uni are much worse IMO. In this first match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm4LvjZbdMU for anyone that hasn't seen it), at one point early on you saw all 3 of them in a room to your left, with you being just outside the window. You called it and ran towards your team, spotted the fourth who was vulnerable shooting at your team, and you stopped to shoot him right outside the room all 3 were in, with no cover. You only had time to take 1 shot max. I was willing you so hard to run after you missed. That event was the turning point. Up until then you were just about holding your own and still within comeback reach.  

The drawing and shooting was too immobile. Several times later you were in open-area shoot-outs with people, and more often than not it's a draw-and-shoot-til-one-dies. Often one of his buddies show up and 2v1 you. The fact their team was doing it too is something you could've capitalized on. When I take the bow into firefights I run after every shot, hit or miss. I line it up, shoot, and immediately I'm moving position. Whether its a sprint to cover. or just a meter to the side, pop out, line her up, shoot. Then I'm moving again. I guess what I'm saying is I got conditioned to stop holding L1 after every shot because I kept getting blown up by good players with SARs. I'll only  push if I know I'll win, or to pressure them if it doesn't compromise myself. You especially need to be doing this vs other bows. If you run and run and run, its very hard to hit with a bow. MR2 is great for this. Make em chase you, pop out, fire a shot, run away or push once you've confirmed hit/miss. Also, make 'em waste arrows. They wanna stand there holding L1 and shooting, make it difficult, run around, in and out of cover. Fake a sprint round an object, then jog back round and pop out the other side. Fake aim too, make 'em miss, pop yours on their arrow-draw recovery while they're still holding L1 strafing at snail-pace. 

But the main thing was you guys didn't run enough and regroup. You spent alot of this map spread out after respawning, and then when you saw the enemy, tried to engage. I think you needed to avoid them Enemy had too much positional advantage and you engaged them while they had that advantage.

Hope this helps.

You guys are all great and I really appreciate your videos and all the effort that goes into them!The reason I got into the Bow was because of your tutorial!

Peace

___________________________________________________________________________________
PSN - ArctiC_HazE--

UK player, terrible connection, but add me if you wanna play.
Message 8 of 11 (72 Views)
PlayStation MVP
70 posts

Mar 14, 2014

Thanks for the tips and taking the time watching all three matches. I believe being outnumber put myself in a "kill now" mentality, that's why you see me play too loose or sometimes too timid. I never really found a good foothold in the matches we lost in. I agree with your tactic of hiding and shooting, it's great to do especially in firefight or pin down stand offs. 

Again, thanks for the time and for watching my vids!

SW

Message 9 of 11 (45 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
70 posts

Mar 14, 2014

The other team's strategy was very successful and worked because we didn't have any explosive devices to break their "camp". Looking back, I wish I used more variety of bow load outs instead of going in with one because it would have allowed me to switch up my approach. 

Thanks for the comment !

SW

Message 10 of 11 (43 Views)
0 Likes