Uncharted Territory
1239 posts

Re: Who are you?

Aug 28, 2013

37 year old grumpy man from Los Angeles.  I rage over traffic, ahole drivers, laggers, when people's nail stick beats mine when i clearly swung mine first.

Been gaming for a LONG time.  

I do not remember the name of first video game system that I had.  It was built in the 1970's and had a gun, paddles and you could play pong and a light gun game amongst other built in black and white games.  

When I was around 4-5 my dad owned an arcade out in the San Fernando Valley.  I have found memories of being 5 years old and hoarding the Pac-Man video game.  I clearly remember playing and looking behind me and seeing a long line of people waiting to play.  Wasn't good for business lol.  I remember pops had a deal where customers could pay $2 and it was free play for an hour (or was it two).

After the arcade was sold, we had a few video games in my garage that I would play occasionally.  I also had tons of little portable video game machines that I would setup around the living room like it was my own arcade.  I would then go around to each portable machine and play a few games.  Then my sister got a ColecoVision for her bday, which I proudly took a claim to being mine.   I got an Atari 2600 adapter for the ColecoVision.  To this day, I still don't know how legally Coleco sold that adapter that allowed you to play 2600 games.  

After that came the Apple IIe spent my years bootlegging and illegally copying games from friends then the NES came out.  My all time favorite system, NES.  Nothing will every top the nostolgia that beast generated.  After that - Genesis -> PS1 -PS2 -> PS3.  I have an Xbox someone gave to me for my bday, I NEVER OPENED IT UP.  In fact it's still sitting at my parents house I think. 

I've noticed somethign about my gaming habits:  I tend to have a slight addiction to 1 game and play the cr@p out of it and wil disregard other games.  For instance I've been playing TLOU and only TLOU, even though I have a backlog of games I haven't opened.

Game addiction, I am ALL over the place in genres:

Arcade 1980's - Pac-Man

ColecoVision - Miner 2049er

Atari 2600 - Don't think there were any because they were all pretty simple lame games

Apple IIe - Ultima 4 and Ultima 5

NES - Super Mario Bros. and then Legend of Zelda (favorite NES game)

Genesis - Don't think there was any one game I was addicted too.

Arcade 1990's - Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II Championship, Street Fighter II Hyper...oh the money I spent on that game

PS1 - No game I was addicted to maybe Street Fighter Alpha 2 a litte bit.

PC gaming 2000's - Warcraft 3

PS2 - Easily my least favorite video game console in terms of games.  There isn't one PS2 title that I really stuck with me.   

PS3 - Street Fighter II HD Remix, Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, Mortal Kombat 9, TLOU

I wasn't heavily into gaming in the late 90's to mid 2000's due to that being my college years, being in a frat, and going to a million plus parties.

I will probably get a PS4 and continue my gaming "career" lol.

Message 61 of 72 (207 Views)
Naughty Paw
10988 posts

Aug 28, 2013

TimeWarnerSux wrote:

I do not remember the name of first video game system that I had.  It was built in the 1970's and had a gun, paddles and you could play pong and a light gun game amongst other built in black and white games.  

Magnavox Odyssey?

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 62 of 72 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17371 posts

Aug 28, 2013
Great post, tws. Now, to complete your Odyssey, all you have to do is ACCEPT MY TLOU INVITE!

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 63 of 72 (197 Views)
Highlighted
Wastelander
755 posts

Aug 28, 2013

44 year old father of 2.  I live in the suburbs of Dallas.  First video game system was the Atari 2600.  I had to play it on an old B&W TV the size of an upright piano (w about a 15" picture lol) because my mom wasn't going to have screen burn-in on the color TV.

I have fond memories of riding my bike up to the several convenience stores around town to play various games.  Dearl's drive-in for Donkey Kong and Defender, 7-eleven for Star Wars and that game by Don Bluth with Dirk the Daring (name of game eludes me), Quick Stop for the greatness of Akari Warriors (that was in HS).

I've had the Sega system with the little add-on for Atari 2600 games then I think there was one more console before the PS1.

I stil have my original PS1.  It is in my youngest's room and we mostly play Oddworld, but I still have about 30 games that still work like Crash, Wipeout etc.

I also still have my original PS2.  It's in my oldest's room.  I only have about 10 games or so for it.  Most of the time we just play the greatness that is Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.

The only MP games I play are the ND games, RDR.  I tried Tomb Raider, Max Payne and GOW, none of which were very good IMO.

Oh, I forgot, I will fire up the MP of Zombie Tycoon on my Vita every once in a while.

With BF3 being free for PS+ I have been thinking of trying it but I am sure I will get destroyed at this point.

Message 64 of 72 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
441 posts

Sep 2, 2014

This really needed a bump. So... BUMP.

GRAB
Message 65 of 72 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2416 posts

Sep 2, 2014
Luke, I am your father.
Message 66 of 72 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3188 posts

Sep 2, 2014

I've been known by a name or a number.

I was no "crap hat", I was a jumper.

Took me 4 minutes from one footstep to the next.

In my sights? You'll get rekt.

That's all I'll say of where I've been

What I've done and what I've seen.

43, father of 1.

England.

Gaming on and off since 1978.

Favourite games of all time (in no order)

Lords of Midnight (ZX Spectrum)

Centurion (Sega Megadrive)

Command and Conquer (Various consoles/PC)

Final Fantasy X (PS2)

Resident Evil 2 (PS2)

TLOU/R (PS4)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3vPDpbsHk_L1zuIelKwTxw

MGSV S rank walkthrough in progress.
Message 67 of 72 (88 Views)
Lombax Warrior
76 posts

Sep 2, 2014
34 father of 2 from the glorious county of Lancashire.
Cut my teeth on the keys of my zx spectrum 128k- skool daze, Kane, dizzy.
Moved through master system/nes, Amiga 600, mega drive/ snes/ 64/ gc/ wii and ps1 through 3.
Put major time into; monkey island, sensible world of soccer, mariokart, tenchu, RE (4), MGS (3), dark cloud, gta (pioneering at the time, grossly overrated now), uncharted 3, i put 110hrs into Ni No Kuni-deep game and of course TLOU.
I'm also the unofficial 100m world record holder at track and field 2000 with a time of 7.85 seconds.😄
Message 68 of 72 (66 Views)
Splicer
36 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 2, 2014

I'm a 43yr old male ex-Project Manager from London (England). I say 'ex' because after 26 years working for the same Company I recently decided to get out of the rat-race, go back to College, get a Gas Engineer qualification and hopefully have a crack at self-employment with some friends.

I have one 16yr old daughter who thinks I'm cool because I love video games, she is immensely proud of the fact that her Dad can kick all of her friends butts and never lets them forget it!

My first memory of playing at home was with Atari 2600, truly great times arguing with brother for my turn to play games like  'Frogger' and 'Pitfall' (dem crocodiles tho')

I spent an unhealthy amount of my time in arcades in the 80s/early 90s playing such games as Defender, Asteroids, Tron, Centipede, Mr. Do, Scramble, Kung-Fu Master, Ghosts n' Goblins, Star Wars, Karate Champ, Commando, Dragons Lair, Paper Boy the list goes on.

I actually remember crying my eyes outs when my Grandparents and my Mum gave me £250 in £5 notes to get a Commodore 64 Home Computer (loading cassette deck sold separately for £49.99). We were working-class an in those days so this sort of money was very hard for them to save.

I then remember owning a Saturn, an N64 and a Sega Megadrive (which my Sister still has). After a break from gaming I got myslef a PS1 and have not left Play Station since (current system PS4)

I'm not often on this forum but I must say it's refreshing to discover that past threads/posts that I have read have been wriiten by guy/gals in their post teenage years (like me).

Nice to read about you all.

Message 69 of 72 (101 Views)
Lombax Warrior
76 posts

Sep 2, 2014
^ ghosts n goblins cost my dad a lot of 10p s back in the day.
Also my dad ended up having a pub with a couple of arcade machines- r- type and karate champ with the twin stick controls. Top game. Like way of the exploding fist but with better controls. Had to go round the world spinning round house kicking karate dudes and twatting bulls on bridges.
Message 70 of 72 (86 Views)
0 Likes