Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 21 2013
By: HoodlumX Uncharted Territory 1357 posts

Why the new Mercenary Mode is a BAD idea

[ Edited ]
143 replies 1732 views Edited Jun 21, 2013

Naughty Dog announced that there will be a new mode coming to the multiplayer in the coming weeks. If you've played Call of Duty, you know what Mercenary Mode is. They are bringing Mercenary Mode to both Supply Raid and Survivor. It means you can play those modes without worrying about parties. Now this is why I think it's a bad idea.

1. Splitting up the player pool for a game like this is a bad idea. More modes mean more issues.

2. This is going to be stupid now, because every regular Supply Raid and Survivor Match will be nothing but parties. I have a feeling that matches are going to be really annoying now. 

3. You have to remember that this isn't Call of Duty. There isn't an average of 300,000 people online. A game like this is best fitted with just a few modes. There is no point in making two new modes which offer nothing new at all. It's the same modes, just without parties.

4. If you look at COD for example, the mode with the least amount of players on it is Mercenary. Out of the 300k average that play it, I only notice maybe 500 people at most on Mercenary Mode. That is pretty pathetic. It's kind of dumb to add a mode to help sympathize with people who aren't good or can't stand up against parties. 

5. For the players who want Mercenary Mode: You do know that this doesn't mean your team is going to be any better, right? Your team will still be running around like chickens with their head cut off. Again, I find it stupid to make a mode for people who are scared to play parties. Man up and take on the competition. Find some friends online and get a party started. 

I can keep going on and on about this, but what do you guys think? I don't like the idea at all. Out of all the awesome ideas on the forums, this is the one they take and put in the game? :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 144 (1,732 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5307 posts

Re: Why the new Mercenary Mode is a BAD idea

Jun 21, 2013
I agree. Splitting the player pool is going to end up being a problem for lag. It's already bad enough that poor connections have been allowed to play since the live update.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 144 (1,715 Views)
Welcoming Committee
13198 posts

Re: Why the new Mercenary Mode is a bad idea

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

CoD had about 9000 last time I checked a few weeks ago.

Actually the modes with the least players in COD are the league play playlists.

Mercenary modes are vital to all video games. They keep people happy if they don't have friends.

If there are going to only be small amounts of players for mercenary then you have nothing to worry about.

If you play parties all the time? Well.. I guess it was fine to stomp those unpartied newbies.

I have nothing against newbie stomping. But we both know party vs party is fair.

Anyway.. It's 4 modes. it's not the end of the world. The end of the world for this game already came, it was the last update that let laggers run free.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 144 (1,706 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1357 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

Mercenary modes are vital to all video games. They keep people happy if they don't have friends.

If there are going to only be small amounts of players for mercenary then you have nothing to worry about.

If you play parties all the time? Well.. I guess it was fine to stomp those unpartied newbies.

I have nothing against newbie stomping. But we both know party vs party is fair.

You must play on Xbox then, because on PS3 the average players online is 300k, and I see maybe 500 people tops on Mercenary, because I play it sometimes myself. Trust me, I know. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 144 (1,701 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13198 posts

Jun 21, 2013

HoodlumX wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

You must play on Xbox then, because on PS3 the average players online is 300k, and I see maybe 500 people tops on Mercenary, because I play it sometimes myself. Trust me, I know. 

I don't even have an XBOX. It also depends what time of the day you are on it. Numbers change throughout the day.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 144 (1,690 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1357 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

HoodlumX wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

I don't even have an XBOX. It also depends what time of the day you are on it. Numbers change throughout the day.

I'm a huge COD player and I play throughout the day and night. If you have the game, go check right now. I will bet you my copy of The Last of Us that it's no higher than 750 people. Most modes have 5000+.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 144 (1,685 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13198 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

750 is still more than 500.

:smileytongue:

But yeah I'll take a look. But unless you are European, you'd be in work/school or whatever when I'm playing stuff :smileytongue:

Would appear that you are right. 427.

But there are considerably less than 300K online. 260k.. The numbers have dropped a lot since TLOU came out it would appear.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 144 (1,679 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9879 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Sounds like exactly what people said when Merc mode was presented for their previous game.

Honestly, I don't see why you'd want to discourage parties, if you started with that option before. If you want to put a Merc mode, just do NOT put partying on the start. That way parties wouldn't be **bleep** since they would have never played.

Also that means lower player pool, but I guess the implementation of Merc mode doesn't consider that. Oh well. I don't care much since ny friends already switched to UC3 and I just started on the MP because I'm paying the story 4 times.

Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 144 (1,655 Views)
Lombax Warrior
114 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

Are we proactively complaining about stuff that hasn't even yet been implemented now? Why not just wait and see.

To me this just sounds like whining that you won't be able to steamroll casuals anymore with your ub3r l33t party of friends and your voice chat, especially with that unnecessary baiting on your last point.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 144 (1,652 Views)
Welcoming Committee
13198 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Dezmixbe wrote:

Are we proactively complaining about stuff that hasn't even yet been implemented now? Why not just wait and see.

To me this just sounds whining that you won't be able to steamroll casuals with your ub3r l33t party of friends with voice chat, especially with that unnecessary baiting on your last point.

Sure. I get the point that it may damage the player pool a bit.

But.

If I cared about the game that much I'd be angry that I couldn't steamroll n00bs anymore too.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 144 (1,642 Views)
0 Likes