Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: Why the new Mercenary Mode is a BAD idea

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:
Making friends isn't easy.

If making friends "isn't easy" (there is even a dedicated thread about that), then I can't possibly fathom how hard must it be for those people to find a girlfriend. Smiley Indifferent That's really sad.

Being social is beneficial in real life as well, not just in video games...

obliviondoll wrote:

Here's a wall of text about the difference between splitting your playerbase and supporting player choices: http://obliviondoll.blog.com/2013/01/14/splitting-the-playerbase-what-does-it-mean-in-the-context-of...

The TL;DR version, as it pertains here, is that they shouldn't add new modes unless they're certain the playerbase is large enough to support it, and/or they're certain the new mode(s) will be sufficiently unique for players to want to play them AS WELL AS the existing modes. And if they're going to add new maps, they shouldn't be paid DLC. That's just a bad idea. They can charge through the nose for cosmetic extras, or new modes if they go that route, but either no maps, or free maps.

Excellent article! I think I just found my alter ego. Smiley Happy I posted it on the UC3 MP forum as well, if you don't mind:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/An-interesting-article-regardin...

Regarding playlists/modes, here's how it should be IMHO:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/All-Competitive-Consolidate-10-...

Maps and modes/playlists should always be free. They can always charge for DLCs that don't split the player pool (skins, weapons, emblems, hats, backbacks etc.), as long as they fit in the game's universe of course.

Flawless83 wrote:

1) But there´s a difference difference between friends and friends.

Some people like me only partying up with real-life friends, there´s everything about having fun.

2) And the other group partying up because of good KdRs, there´s everything about winning and quitting avoiding a loss if a good party comes up, isn´ it.

1) And what if my real life friends DON'T PLAY VIDEO GAMES??? Have you ever thought about that?

So according to you, I should never party up, because my real life friends don't even have a PS3. Smiley Indifferent Stupid logic.

2) I don't judge people by their KDR (edit: I judge them by their KDR only if it's fake/inflated Smiley Very Happy), so that's not a factor for me. I have plenty of friends with negative KDRs.

I do judge people by their selfish behavior though (crying about assists, using Revenge, not using Team Safe when they use explosives etc.)

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 131 of 144 (237 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

Well, let me elaborate. It's easy to find people to add, sure. I have tons of them.

Half of them? I haven't played with, even though they're in the forums and I get to talk to them all the time.

1/4 of them? Still in another game I used to play.

Only a few actually "play" play. Like, when I added them so we can play, we actually play, and we play a lot.

Edit: I just realized something. @tap, are you implying I'm antisocial?

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 132 of 144 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 26, 2013

Blame timezone differences. It's not easy to party up with everyone on a regular basis.

Also, it's the summer and people tend to do other things than playing video games... at least in the northern hemisphere.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 133 of 144 (220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

@OP

I actually like the mercenary mode because my friends are not online the same time as me on weekdays (different timezones). About splitting the player base that is understandable. But don't tell me that mercenary is the same thing!

Yes my teamates are not gonna get any better on mercenary mode but atleast this time around I wont go against a full team with mics. Want to play with your friends then you're gonna go against other ppl with their friends. Seems fair to me.

Message 134 of 144 (213 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1085 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

@tap

According to me everyone can party up (so hard) as they want, as long as they wont make anti-mercenary threads.Smiley Wink

A multiplayer is supposed to feel the same as the game before it. You made that mistake with Uc3 but it was manageable. Now with Uc4 this is just ridiculous.

DeFy Sushi
Message 135 of 144 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17603 posts

Jun 26, 2013
Playing solo shouldn't mean your chances of a good game are automatically so slim.

Adding friends in this game is quite easy. From this forum, plus adds coming after games, my list had basically doubled this week.

With sufficient numbers we can have both. Let's try and make a community where we have mired than enough for two SR and Survivor play lists.

Kicking each other in the balls over personal theories about things isn't productive.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 136 of 144 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
729 posts

Jun 26, 2013

I still think making two modes (raid and survivors) in a separate list a really bad move by ND

Imo they should have created a new mode, especially for lone wolf players, maybe a free for all or a regular team deathmatch (more of a solo deathmatch lol) mode

Making the same modes but with restriction to parties is just a tad lazy and unecessary to split the player pool

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 137 of 144 (159 Views)
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Jun 26, 2013

As is, theres no shortage of players at all. Will the situation remain the same in the coming weeks? I say it will as long as Naughty Dogg keeps building upon the MP they've established.

Message 138 of 144 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Jun 26, 2013

cdub420-- wrote:

As is, theres no shortage of players at all. Will the situation remain the same in the coming weeks? I say it will as long as Naughty Dogg keeps building upon the MP they've established.

It's a great building block for some great ideas, that's for sure. We need more maps though.

Message 139 of 144 (131 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Jun 26, 2013

More maps and game modes are needed.

- 4v4v4 Free-For-All modes between 3 teams. Make the third faction the military and give them the same setup as the other factions, just different uniforms. 

- Variant of Supply Raid with random infected on map.

- Coop Horde Mode

Thats what I'd like to see.

Message 140 of 144 (128 Views)
0 Likes