Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Big Daddy
16326 posts

Re: Wow, told you so...

Nov 26, 2013
All hail captain produce, voice of sanity.

The noob pool is far larger than the skilled. Simple economics on whom to court.

Not every game mechanic is designed solely to enhance game play. Why are people so blind to this, is it intentional?

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Message 91 of 99 (194 Views)
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 26, 2013

scootgar wrote:
All hail captain produce, voice of sanity.

The noob pool is far larger than the skilled. Simple economics on whom to court.

Not every game mechanic is designed solely to enhance game play. Why are people so blind to this, is it intentional?

I think some people just have a problem with unfairness (be it real or merely perceived).  I don't have a problem with the welfare system, even if it can be unfair at times, because I'm fine with a certain degree of unfairness.  I've played other games that were way more unbalanced that this MP.  Maybe that's why. 

Message 92 of 99 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
460 posts

Nov 27, 2013

scootgar wrote:

might be. but a game mechanic that punishes good play and limits or even  takes away a major part of the game from a player is simply a bad design imo.

if youre doing well you get parts. you can use parts to upgrade/purchase weapons/ammo/armour.

if youre not doing so well you get parts as well... and more materials. that alone evens the playing field (even without the increased material drop).

Message 93 of 99 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Nov 28, 2013

Fairness.

Ahhh…there’s the crux.  Fair to whom? You (and you alone)? Skilled players? Unskilled players? The TLOU gaming community at large?  New players? Naughty Dog?

I think the answer to that question is largely what we have in the current TLOU implementation.  Although I find Uncharted 3 MP more fun (a large part of that is the more lighthearted nature of the Uncharted franchise), the thing that struck me with TLOU MP upon release was how remarkably balanced it was (still is for the most part – technically, I think TLOU is the much better MP).  I honestly believe that what has made the difference since release is how people approach the game.  After an initial shaking out, the more competitive-minded players (more power to you) have discovered the quirks in the game that allow more aggressive play.

I can accept that the handicap system may need some tweaking but I’m absolutely and unequivocally opposed to its removal.  By the same token, my support of some sort handicap system in ND’s games remains just as strong.  I like to think that most players (including me) are charitable enough not to stomp less skilled players but let’s face it, human nature being what it is, people like to win and who doesn’t like a good blowout?  I’m certainly willing to live with being “reined in” for what I trust is the greater good.

I could address the considerations for each of the “stakeholders” (mentioned in my second paragraph) but as much as I like writing, I suspect that some are growing tired of reading my longwinded posts (this one is already longer than I intended). :smileyhappy:  Suffice it to say, that I’m trying to look at the bigger picture.  Whether ND has hard numbers to back up their design choices or not, they’re a business and I trust they’ve made an informed decision.  If they’re wrong, hopefully they’re still around to correct their mistake in future releases but if they’re right, then we just may end up with a larger gaming community that will support more game modes.  Personally, I don’t see ND attracting hordes of players from the existing pool of shooter fans…rather, I believe (and hope) that it can grow its player pool from the casuals and people that haven’t gamed in the past.  With 3 Uncharted titles and now TLOU, maybe they’ve maxed out and I’m deluding myself, who knows.

One last thing…while I personally don’t see the current handicap system being a deciding factor in my matches, I recognize that I play the game a certain way and the experience of others may be different (gamestyle is the only rational explanation I can envision to explain this difference).  I play the game the way I do because I see it as being consistent (neither right nor wrong) with the game design elements that are in place.  If the majority perceives things differently, then I suppose TLOU will evolve into something resembling a traditional shooter…in which case I will, with sadness and reluctance, move onto other games.

Message 94 of 99 (96 Views)
First Son
13 posts

Nov 28, 2013

I would like TLOU MP to stay just like it is. 

There are so few good MP games on PS3 that have single spawn and a real sense of tension about them. 

As long as it stays like that, I can see myself playing this for a long time to come.  

Message 95 of 99 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6008 posts

Nov 28, 2013

If you notice, most people against the welfare system will more then likely accept a simple tweaking to it rather than it being removed entirely.

I mean there are much better ways to keep the majority of players happy, including newer less skilled players. Matching players of similar level or playtime, a handicap system that helps them is fine too, but only when the team needs it...

photo Sniper.png
Message 96 of 99 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Nov 28, 2013

@sanddude20…

Agreed.  Tweaking is acceptable to me provided it doesn’t change the nature of the game.  I’m just trying to cover all my bases.  When the subject of the handicap system comes up (as it has many times before), some passionate opponents have stated their case in such strong terms that abolishment of the system seems like the preferred (and in some cases, only) solution.

I hope it hasn’t gone unnoticed that, in this thread and many others, I have doggedly referred to the system as a handicap rather than another word.  The current state of the system notwithstanding, this semantic difference is based on an assumption that such a system is, in fact, fair.

Message 97 of 99 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11119 posts

Nov 28, 2013
Perhaps you should stop playing the game if you think it's ruined? :smileyindifferent:
Message 98 of 99 (60 Views)
Wastelander
679 posts

Nov 28, 2013

@renatabls…

To whom is your "ruined" comment addressed?

If me, I don’t think the game is ruined…far from it.  I am afraid it might be ruined if too much is changed.

Message 99 of 99 (54 Views)
0 Likes