Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Re: Wow, told you so...

Nov 22, 2013

MY opinion:

The welfare system is fine.

It gives the losing team an actual chance for comeback, and it keeps the winning team from just steamrolling through the match. AKA. an actual challenge and space for actual competition.
How else is a random team of 4 lvl 50 or less gonna fight against a Party of 4 lvl 400?
Yes they're pity parts, but they balance the game out wheter you like it or not.

I don't know about some other people in the forum, but i've never had matches drastically turned around because of the welfare system.

Besides, take the whole welfare system/crafting out of this game and you'll end up with just a generic 3rd Person shooter.
And there are enough of those already.

Message 31 of 99 (196 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1528 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 22, 2013
People shouldn't be given a leg up in games. It's in complete contradiction to the entire purpose of competition. If so-called casual gamers don't want to invest the time it takes to get good at the game then they deserve to do poorly. Everybody's going to have trouble starting out either way. Handing out free bombs isn't going to help change that.

And I agree that challenging games are fun, if it's because the other team is an fair match because of their teamwork, coordination, resourcefulness, individual skill level, etc. If it's a "challenge" because I can't go anywhere without getting pasted by crafted items then it's not really an actual challenge. It's the enemy team getting free kills because boxes are giving them free bombs, and it makes me want to simply sign out and move on to the next match.
Message 32 of 99 (192 Views)
Wastelander
683 posts

Nov 22, 2013
The welfare system is NOT fine. It's a good concept done terribly wrong.

Like sandman said, you can certainly see how much of a difference it makes when you have to equally skilled teams and one of them is winning by a small margin. The winning team literally gets *beep* over until the opposing team gets 3 or 4 kills. Kills which are usually done by spamming whatever the hell they got on their arsenal..

I'm fine with the system, but it needs to be tweaked.
Message 33 of 99 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6275 posts

Nov 22, 2013

Arzharkhel wrote:

Like sandman said, you can certainly see how much of a difference it makes when you have to equally skilled teams and one of them is winning by a small margin. The winning team literally gets *beep* over until the opposing team gets 3 or 4 kills. Kills which are usually done by spamming whatever the hell they got on their arsenal..

this basically, a good welfare system should be virtually nonexistent when 2 fairly equally skilled teams square off and are neck and neck on the scoreboard throughout the match, this isn't the case in TLOU.

photo Sniper.png
Message 34 of 99 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
683 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 22, 2013
Where the hell did I get the sandman from...? Lol
Message 35 of 99 (169 Views)
Naughty Host
9659 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 22, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

Arzharkhel wrote:

this basically, a good welfare system should be virtually nonexistent when 2 fairly equally skilled teams square off and are neck and neck on the scoreboard throughout the match, this isn't the case in TLOU.

I feel the welfare system should have taken player merit into account, such as level, kills, deaths, etc. when determining what to give to the player, at least in public matchmaking. Private matches should give the option of turning this system off or on.

Still, I'd rather ND not touch the welfare system in public matches at all. I don't want any negative unintended consequences.

Message 36 of 99 (161 Views)
Wastelander
683 posts

Nov 22, 2013
First thing naughty dog did wrong was not making an algorithm to gauge a player's skill... Instead we're stuck with levels.

I guess I agree that it would be better to leave it alone than having them *beep* it up even more, but the least they should do is have a look at it.
Message 37 of 99 (148 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Nov 22, 2013

The welfare system is just stupid. It gives the loosing team way too much stuff and the winning team too little.

I am tired of legitimately beating people with guns/tactics only to see them get like 3 free molotovs (while I maybe have the resources to craft 1) which they then promptly spam and then rage quit via PSN. Uhh this game is so dumb sometimes....

Message 38 of 99 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1185 posts

Nov 22, 2013

I think the system is just fine. However, you can also exploit it: If you know you are better than the other team, just let yourself get killed couple of times, then let hell begin :smileylol:

Art by Janice Chu
Message 39 of 99 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16348 posts

Nov 22, 2013
I'm just not seeing these matches where the initial lead team gets turned over by supplies.

Even in random no party play. Most of the time the game has a between, and they lead from the start.

And when I play with forum members, they lead and win running away.

The system may allow losers a few kills, but i'm just not seeing it winning matches as its portrayed here.

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Message 40 of 99 (109 Views)