Keyblade Wielder
7083 posts

Re: covert training overrated?

Jul 11, 2013

nah it's useless, I get by without using it except level 1 for the free shiv and do just fine overall in-game. People say it's an integral part with the ever important Listen mode(lol good one) but it is far from the best survival skill in this game. If anything I would have to place my bets on first aid training being the best skill in the game, seeing as that if 1-2 guys have this thing, your entire team will almost always be at full health throughout the game.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 11 of 44 (1,415 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Limit Breaker
17632 posts

Jul 11, 2013
Well we all "get by without it".

But used properly, it wins fights.

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 12 of 44 (1,410 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1284 posts

Jul 11, 2013

The OP is sort of right.  Unless you are a lone wolf who likes to snipe or flank, having covert 2-3 isn't that great since it only takes one teammate to not have it equipped, or be walking upright or even worse, running to you to blow your cover.

The chances of playing "no parties" and having everyone equipped with covert 2 and everyone crouch walking is very slim.  That's why I have a loadout to deal with such situations

Message 13 of 44 (1,402 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
90 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Zelisius wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks so?
Its great for the lone wolves and has a place in survivor mode, but from a team player pov, I find it near worthless.

You could be running crafter 3 to assist the team, or first aid 2 and reviver 1 to keep the team on their feet.

Maybe its just me and my playstyle, but I notice a major difference in matches when I'm rocking a team oriented setup as apposed to a combat heavy or stealth setup.

I don't think so.

Not being picked up on listen mode and not dying is more helpful to my TEAM then me having to run all over the map to gift them things because nobody ever stands still for more than half a second.

I once followed a teammate for a good 3 minutes TRYING to gift him something, he wouldn't stop jogging away.

Besides, I'm more helpful to my team when I go 10-10-0-2 then I would be going 5-5-2-2 and gifting them things they don't use properly.

Plus I run Reviver and Hawk-Eyed 2 as well, which is super helpful to my team.   But not being detected sneaking up on the flank usually works out better than gifting people medkits and smoke bombs they end up not using properly.

Message 14 of 44 (1,392 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
385 posts

Jul 11, 2013

scootgar wrote:
Well we all "get by without it".

But used properly, it wins fights.

I would qualify that by saying it CAN win SOME fights. Just like every other tool in TLoU, it's situational. Use it right, and it will benefit you in certain situations. If you do your best to put yourself into those kinds of situations, it will be very useful. If you don't play that way, use something else.

----V^^^V----
I want my meals to think for myself
Message 15 of 44 (1,374 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
441 posts

Jul 11, 2013
strategist 2/3 isn't really a counter, your assuming they're always going to wanna shiv you or get close to you.
Message 16 of 44 (1,368 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2179 posts

Jul 11, 2013

I might give Covert a try today. I remember using it in almost all my loadouts when the game launched, but then I discovered First Aid Training and Collector which are far more worth my time. Since I am always in some sort of party I guess I can tell my friends to stay away from me while I try it out. I also just gained new interest in the shiv. I have less than 10 shivs in over 100 games. I had less then 5 before yesterday. I want to change that. So maybe Covert might help me a little.

Message 17 of 44 (1,365 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
442 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013

Wait until you fight an enemy team that uses Covert Training and silenced semi-autos. Its a nightmare..

Message 18 of 44 (1,346 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Best skill in the game, IMO.

Message 19 of 44 (1,338 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
820 posts

Jul 11, 2013

sanddude20 wrote:

nah it's useless, I get by without using it except level 1 for the free shiv and do just fine overall in-game. People say it's an integral part with the ever important Listen mode(lol good one) but it is far from the best survival skill in this game. If anything I would have to place my bets on first aid training being the best skill in the game, seeing as that if 1-2 guys have this thing, your entire team will almost always be at full health throughout the game.

I have to agree with you on this man, covert ops never helped me at all. First aid, Sharpshooter, or hawk-eyed is better.

The Kingdom of Longbow shall reign forever, for it is written in the stars above~
Message 20 of 44 (1,311 Views)
0 Likes