Jul 28 2013
By: captain-tripp First Son 9 posts

dodgy balance

7 replies 217 views Edited Jul 28, 2013

know it's been said before but...

the dodgy balance in multiplayer is getting out of control.

for average/casual players it becomes a little pointless to keep trying to get better

and progress.

unfortunately it alienates a lot of  players. people who would contribute to the lifespan of multiplayer as well as the 

size of its' community. player levels need to have some kind of segragation in increments of like 20. as in levels 1-20 play each other. once you progress to level 21, you start to move up to playing level 21s  to level 40s. maybe this is impossible due to programming or whatever. i dont know.

what i do know is that  when my team is made up of levels 0 to 15 and the opposing team is made up  of  a mixture of level 55 all the way up to 114, then chances are we have a very good chance of  getting obliterated and in turn losing most of our clan.

problem being that we end up getting stuck at level 9 and are constantly trying to get back up in weeks. and then having to start over from week one. dont get me wrong i realize all is fair in war and all that. just means alot of people pack it in and move on to another  game. which shortens the lifespan of multiplayer. and this game deserves a long multiplayer life.

yes i know, i know. if i am not good enough at the game then i have no business playing. i have heard this one before.

but just think. without all of us, the average/casual players, the random and micless, even the down right goofy players, without us the multiplayer population ends up with small portion of great players constantly playing each other until the game dies. and as a result no one else gets the chance to become great players as well. 

so i would say multiplayer matchmaking needs to operate in stages. I guess i could have just said that in the first place, but i 

just got butchered on multiplayer so this is all like 50% anger rant.

anyways, feel free to agree, disagree or insult, whichever feels right.

Message 1 of 8 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6781 posts

Re: dodgy balance

[ Edited ]
Jul 28, 2013

The match making is terrible but I just focused on meeting new people who played the game and who were good and adding them as a friend. Used the thread here and got a couple then got several from just playing. Build up your friendslist with enough high levels and finding a good group to roll with won't be too hard. I haven't had a problem with match making since, other than getting put on the other team once inawhile.

I think I like your suggestion but only if it's in "no parties".

Photobucket
Message 2 of 8 (191 Views)
Wastelander
674 posts

Jul 28, 2013
The number next to a players ID is not a wholly accurate way to tell if hes an awesome player or not. I've seen players with level 80+ who don't play well. I've also seen level 2s knocking the hell out of these players. Its just an indication of how many weeks his clan survived.
Message 3 of 8 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Yeah, rank means nothing here. But what is ridiculous is when the game splits up a team. Last night I was in a party with 3 other friends and were just dominating. We all have head sets and we just having a grand old time. So the game decides, during one match up, to take me away from my party and place with me 3 randoms, and place 1 random in my team. I was so **bleep** when I found out. It was kinda funny to try to fight them (that match didn't end well for me) but there's absolutely no reason why a party made up of friends who party up in the lobby to be separated by the game. ND needs to fix this.

Message 4 of 8 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42149 posts

Jul 28, 2013
^^ I've been in one of those matches. The 3 people on my team were talking about a friend being on another so when he came into the room, they said don't shoot him. Don't know why the game took 1 guy out of a party of 4 and put him on the opposite team =\ Can't recall if it corrected itself the next match or if it continued.

Message 5 of 8 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Getting split from your party is one of my favorite glitches in MPs (and it happens in almost all the MPs  I've played). I love battling good players and loooove battling my friens, sometimes. Imo, it doesn't happen in TLOU all that much.

As to the OP...this game is, without a doubt, set up for vets to dominate. They have more loadout points, a huge advantage, more map knowledge and experience...all this should add up to a noob never having a chance. In reality, however, the gap doesn't seem that huge, once the new player gets "over the hump" of the initial learning curve, which is steep.

Does the game's initial learning curve drive some players away? Yeah, no doubt. The trade off is the satisfaction of a MP experience that rewards teamwork, the ultimate "balancer".

Message 6 of 8 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20402 posts

Jul 28, 2013
I believe the main reason these unfair teams are being made is because the number next to your rank means absolutely nothing at all in terms of skill. Since it's merely a showing of how long you've played and not your actual skill, there really is no need to balance teams based on the number. If you go into a private game with 7 other people and constantly start new games, you will see that every single time, the teams will be different in some way.

It does get annoying when it lumps all the higher levels together due to not factoring in your weeks completed number, but random chance is pretty random. If you want to avoid having lower levels on your team, try partying up with people you know.
Message 7 of 8 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Level-based matchmaking? Hell no!

Better team balancing? Yes please!

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 8 of 8 (77 Views)