May 10 2014
By: infromous First Son 10 posts

tool boxes, safes, and revives ruining shiving...

11 replies 267 views Edited May 10, 2014

I have to get this out of my system...

Please fix the shiv function. I'm sick of trying to shiv someone only to find that because said person was standing too close to a tool box, safe, or downed ally I end up doing something else instead and then get 2x4'd or shot in the face. The problem is that you have the shiv command linked to the triangle button that's univerrsal for all miscellaneous tasks. 

It's simple ND. Here's the solution:

Give the shiv function top priority above all other commands. ALWAYS. So if I'm going to shiv someone no matter what's near he/she get's shived over me all the sudden stopping what I'm doing to kneel down and open a box.

Here, I even set the priority up for you for the triangle button.

Shiv

revive

execute/interrogate

pick up items

box/safe

Just a switch statement away...

Message 1 of 12 (267 Views)
Naughty Host
9427 posts

Re: tool boxes, safes, and revives ruining shiving...

May 10, 2014
They addressed this in the AMA

Message 2 of 12 (252 Views)
First Son
10 posts

May 10, 2014

AKyemeni wrote:
They addressed this in the AMA

Just saw the reddit... Didn't know he addressed it. Still, they even say in the reddit that it's something they're not fixing anytime soon. Which means the shiv function is going to be broken for a very long time. 

Erin also goes on to say that it's not a priority issue but a range issue with players spamming the shiv button before they're in the shiv cone.... maybe in some cases. But there have been so many times that I'm obviously in the bloody shiv cone and go right behind someone but end up opening a tool box... it's really annoying. 

If the only fix really is to change the button for the shiv then for f**k sake change it. It's so irritating.

Message 3 of 12 (238 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

May 10, 2014

Dude, thanks for bringing this up.

Where was this "Ask Me Anything" discussion? What was their statement?

ND corrected a lot of small issues to make gameplay more "real", why not fixing THIS? They even mumbled the voices of players wearing a mask in 1.07!

By now most people probably know they can't shiv in all the statet situations but I still run into the situation from time to time where I'm intuitively try to do the thing that VERY OBVIOUSLY *would be* shiving!

Message 4 of 12 (234 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

[ Edited ]
May 10, 2014

Ian-GCat wrote:

Dude, thanks for bringing this up.

Where was this "Ask Me Anything" discussion? What was their statement?

ND corrected a lot of small issues to make gameplay more "real", why not fixing THIS? They even mumbled the voices of players wearing a mask in 1.07!

By now most people probably know they can't shiv in all the statet situations but I still run into the situation from time to time where I'm intuitively try to do the thing that VERY OBVIOUSLY *would be* shiving!

Here's the link

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/255ssk/iama_erin_daly_lead_multiplayer_designer_and/

"We definitely feel your pain and I've run into this issue myself many times. We've looked into this problem a lot and it's not actually a priority problem - if you have a downed teammate in front of you and an enemy who can be shivved, the shiv prompt does take priority.

The problem is that players run in spamming triangle so they can get their shiv as quickly as possible, and the range on a revive, execution, or lockbox is large enough that the player gets that before moving inside the shiv cone.

The proper fix for this is to use a different controller input for Shivs, which is doable but because these prompts are all handled in code it requires some tech time which we don't have at this point. It's definitely still on our wish-list to fix however."

Don't get me wrong, I love this game and feel it's pretty balanced and has a pretty nice pace to it... buuuuut this is a glaring issue that drives me insane. Especially since my main load outs revolve around shiving. 

Message 5 of 12 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2812 posts

May 10, 2014

Some "tech"? Like NASA tech? :smileyindifferent:

FFS, it's just a simple "if-then-else" routine. They could've said "sorry, but we're too lazy/busy right now to rewrite our code" and it would've been more believable/honest!

White plug is fair: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/What-does-the-blinking-white-plug-mean-and-why-is-it-disrupting/m-p/44241158/highlight/true#M106983
Message 6 of 12 (207 Views)
First Son
10 posts

May 11, 2014

l-Silhouettes-l wrote:

Some "tech"? Like NASA tech? :smileyindifferent:

FFS, it's just a simple "if-then-else" routine. They could've said "sorry, but we're too lazy/busy right now to rewrite our code" and it would've been more believable/honest!

LOL, yeah I feel ya.

I hate to be that guy but it really doesn't seem like it's more than a one man job to get the change implemented... Even if ultimately they need to change the button they're making it sound a lot harder than it very likely is....

Message 7 of 12 (189 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

May 11, 2014
I think they should take the Gears 3 route, where despite 1 button doing a range of things, it depends how you press it e.g.
Tap Triangle for shiv
FORCED to hold on Triangle for at least 0.5 seconds to open a lock box.
FORCED to hold on Triangle for at least 0.3 seconds before starting a revive.
Dunno if it would work but it's an idea ... Although the priority system probably makes more sense
"You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friends nose"
~ Billy, from Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy
Message 8 of 12 (181 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

[ Edited ]
May 11, 2014

If enemy is very close and I have a shiv

do not show prompt/apply [revive|execute|interrogate|pick up items|open box/safe]

Is that really so complicated? Why would you want to do any of these things if you stand right behind an enemy?

Message 9 of 12 (169 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
960 posts

May 11, 2014

Changing audio of character wearing certain mask/helmet INSTEAD of fixing this **bleep** speaks volume about what ND is really thinking. I am not buying the PS4 Remastered Version due to all these craps. Thanks ND.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join or Support us!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheLastOfUsVideos

Visit my Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/mrsjimmymare
Facebook - www.facebook.com/mrsjmare
Twitter - www.twitter.com/mrsjimmymare

Message 10 of 12 (129 Views)