Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 07 2013
By: piedude1 Hekseville Citizen 324 posts

Games like this?

13 replies 439 views Edited Apr 7, 2013

So my friend lent me tomb raider, and i love the feel of it. it highlights the need to survive. you get stranded on an island. this also kinda happens in FC3, but you feel invincible. you can take out a whole camp and be fine 10 seconds later. In tr,

Spoiler
you hurt yourself at one point, and you need to seal it with hot iron. 

That adds to the "intensity". You want to escape, but have countless troubles. Other games make your character a super person who can do a lot of stuff. I like the feel of having no control. Are there any other games like that?

Message 1 of 14 (439 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11434 posts

Re: Games like this?

Apr 7, 2013
Maybe Dead Space or Bioshock?

R.I.P. Off-Topic.                  "Eerrrm."   -BRIT-KO, on the topic of 'johngie'.
04/09/2014 - Never Forget

Message 2 of 14 (431 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Apr 7, 2013

Have those... i dont want horror though.

Message 3 of 14 (416 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11598 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 7, 2013

piedude1 wrote:

So my friend lent me tomb raider, and i love the feel of it. it highlights the need to survive. you get stranded on an island. this also kinda happens in FC3, but you feel invincible. you can take out a whole camp and be fine 10 seconds later. In tr,

Spoiler
you hurt yourself at one point, and you need to seal it with hot iron. 

That adds to the "intensity". You want to escape, but have countless troubles. Other games make your character a super person who can do a lot of stuff. I like the feel of having no control. Are there any other games like that?

It’s a shame you don’t want to play any survival horror video games…

You could try the Uncharted video games. Whether or not Nathan Drake is “invincible” is a decision that you will need to make for yourself. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Far Cry 3 are my top choices for your description. Feel free to wait for The Last of Us to release if it has anything to offer you.

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison

Message 4 of 14 (402 Views)
PlayStation MVP
18768 posts

Apr 7, 2013

SweetPoison13 wrote:
You could try the Uncharted video games. Whether or not Nathan Drake is “invincible” is a decision that you will need to make for yourself. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Far Cry 3 are my top choices for your description. Feel free to wait for The Last of Us to release if it has anything to offer you.

I was planning on recommending him the Uncharted games since he likes Tomb Raider, but I felt that all the climbing-while-getting-shot action happening in it gave Drake that feel of "invincibility." Granted, Uncharted 2 and 3 have sections showing how Drake is struggling to survive (the train crash, cruise ship and desert chapters come to mind), but besides that, Drake seems to be this guy who can plow through anything.

Far Cry 3 is another great choice, even though the OP mentioned how you feel "invincible" after taking down a camp. The story is really interesting and seeing it progress makes you want to keep playing until you see the end. Plus, the open-world setting and harvesting of plants and animal skins gives the game a whole kind of survival theme.

I would definitely recommend that you pick up The Last of Us when it gets released. It's Naughty Dog (Uncharted) doing a survival game and it really looks like it'll be great. I know I'll be picking it up. :smileyhappy:

Message 5 of 14 (394 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11598 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

I was planning to recommend to some survival horror video games. What better video games to play through for intense challenges, inescapable situations, countless troubles, and characters who either are vulnerable, have no control, or can barely handle their predicaments?  

I hope you find whatever it is that you are looking for, piedude1.

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison

Message 6 of 14 (387 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

I'm guessing you don't like health regen in games primarily.

Try Doom 3. Its "old-school", have to find health packs to heal and you can definitely have trouble finding ammo if you're not careful.

You may want to look into older games, though. There are a lot of older PC games that should be more or less what you're looking for and aren't in the horror genre.

Message 7 of 14 (381 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Apr 8, 2013
You might also like The Elder Scrolls. There's a ton of flexibility in what you have your character do, and there are literally thousands of places to explore.
My PSN
Message 8 of 14 (370 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

I'd suggest these, in no particular order and in general...

Dead Space

Uncharted 

Bioshock

Dead Island

Spec Ops: The Line

Resident Evil 

inFamous

Boderlands

Prototype (though I personally don't like this one)

Grand Theft Auto

Skyrim/Elder Scrolls

Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Edit
Message 9 of 14 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Apr 8, 2013
Hmm...so, you want a game where its hard to survive, and it feels real?

Only game I could recommend would have to be Dishonered, maybe? Honestly, I agree with others, your looking for what sounds more like a survival horror game. Not many games today make you helpless unless its a survival horror game. Almost any action game is going to be that, an action game. I don't agree with anyone on the elder scrolls series, at all. However, maybe you should give Fallout 3 or new vegas a try.

In case you don't know, they are survival/open world/rpg games, where you have to fend for yourself in an apocalyptic wasteland. Its pretty legit and it doesn't give you much power to defend yourself(though, I found new vegas's enemies to be harder than Fallout 3's). That's all I could suggest, really.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 14 (335 Views)
0 Likes