Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 11 2013
By: dulun18 Ghost of Sparta 15114 posts

REMAKE is good!! (Tomb Raider)

20 replies 400 views Edited Mar 11, 2013

just finish Tomb Raider

It was a fun game!! took me 2 days.. maybe 10-15 hours..

this game is so much like uncharted..  (gameplay, weapons select, etc..)

but the customization system is fun !!

I like BOW weapon in all the game that i played and most often time prefer to control FEMALE character

this game provide both :smileyhappy:

This remake is much better than the previous tomb raider that i played  Tomb Raider Anniversary   (PS2)  and Tomb Raider Underworld (PS3)    :smileyhappy:

The offline is fun  but the online is eh.. // it's not as fluid as uncharted online..  but at least you don't need some pass to play online :smileyhappy:

This game is worth a try!!   

for me of the games that i played recently.. DMC, Dead space 3..   Tomb Raider is the most fun.  I'm looking forward to the next Tomb Raider  from Crystal Dynamics!!

To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
Forum Survival Tips for New Members
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
**********The LAST GUARDIAN**********
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Re: REMAKE is good!! (Tomb Raider)

Mar 11, 2013
Really? Better than DMC AND Dead Space 3?? Ill have to give this a try...didn't really look at it as a purchase for 2013, but I guess it would be a wise one since I used to be a huge tomb raider fan in the PS1 era.

Thanks for letting us know. I also love uncharted so the two combined should be a good mix >:smileyhappy:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (398 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15114 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 11, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:
Really? Better than DMC AND Dead Space 3?? Ill have to give this a try...didn't really look at it as a purchase for 2013, but I guess it would be a wise one since I used to be a huge tomb raider fan in the PS1 era.

Thanks for letting us know. I also love uncharted so the two combined should be a good mix >:smileyhappy:

The game has a pretty good rating on metacritic :smileyhappy:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/tomb-raider

This game plays like uncharted.. but it's  MATURE rating so it's much better for my taste.. the environment, the deaths, etc.. suitable for a Mature game...

In tomb raider the first thing i had to do after i got my first (FAVORITE) weapon is hard to do !!!  You will know once you play the game yourself  :smileyhappy:

**NoTE** there's one thing i didn't do..  you can pull your enemies of the cliff if they are standing next to it...  you will get a trophy for pulling 5 guys of the cliff..  i didn't know that i can do it until i checked the trophy list..  :/  ..

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (391 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Mar 11, 2013
Well good, because I like pulling people off cliffs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 21 (385 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15114 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 11, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:
Well good, because I like pulling people off cliffs.

This game will allow you to replay previous areas again to complete challenges, find relics, or explore tombs that you missed without having to play the game over... Since some areas are not accessible until you have the required tools/weapons later in the game

There are tombs around with weapon parts (with its own puzzle) that you have to solve to access to the treasure..

You can dodge in tomb raider which is not possible in uncharted series.. it's like side slide or something it's interesting.. instead of just hiding behind covers all the time..

Play this game for its single player (offline)   :smileyhappy: .. try the online if you wish.. but it's nothing to look forward to...

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (380 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Mar 11, 2013
Absolutely worth playing for the single-player. There are.. a few things that Uncharted1&2 did better when it comes to animation. The immediate context-awareness with the walking and so on, transitions between cover at different angles and heights, that sort of thing. This.. is uniquely well done.

But as a game, with the non-sticky cover, no spraying, rewarding sneaking, and so on, that's really great in Tomb Raider. Really like the vistas and the places with alternative paths across the levels too. The hidden tombs are the pearls in the treasure chest, imo.

Writing is good as well. "I hate tombs!". Or the captain.. Grim? Who end the tall tale with "and I've never touched the bottle since". Great pieces like that in the game. But the way they structure it and pace everything is extremely well done. Even if it doesn't always make complete logical sense, or if you start to wonder what sort of universe the Crofts live in where they apparently make a living by shooting pirates and raiding tombs - it makes narrative sense in the game. Same with the gameplay and the way it gradually changes over time. Matches all of that well. It's even better than Far Cry 3 in that way.

Only gripe is that you're essentially forced to kill your way through a few battles - because the guards stand directly in the way of the only path you can go by. So you didn't really need to kill them - but the game-mechanics make you. Basically, the designers and the testers were concerned with stealth up until you hack someone in the head with an axe. Other options... not so interested. Try to traverse a rock by jumping - and you miss and just jump up and down - and Lara stamps her foot into the ground so everyone hears it, etc.

Other than that - yes, definitely worth playing.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 21 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15114 posts

Mar 11, 2013

fleinn wrote:
Absolutely worth playing for the single-player. There are.. a few things that Uncharted1&2 did better when it comes to animation. The immediate context-awareness with the walking and so on, transitions between cover at different angles and heights, that sort of thing. This.. is uniquely well done.

But as a game, with the non-sticky cover, no spraying, rewarding sneaking, and so on, that's really great in Tomb Raider. Really like the vistas and the places with alternative paths across the levels too. The hidden tombs are the pearls in the treasure chest, imo.

Writing is good as well. "I hate tombs!". Or the captain.. Grim? Who end the tall tale with "and I've never touched the bottle since". Great pieces like that in the game. But the way they structure it and pace everything is extremely well done. Even if it doesn't always make complete logical sense, or if you start to wonder what sort of universe the Crofts live in where they apparently make a living by shooting pirates and raiding tombs - it makes narrative sense in the game. Same with the gameplay and the way it gradually changes over time. Matches all of that well. It's even better than Far Cry 3 in that way.

Only gripe is that you're essentially forced to kill your way through a few battles - because the guards stand directly in the way of the only path you can go by. So you didn't really need to kill them - but the game-mechanics make you. Basically, the designers and the testers were concerned with stealth up until you hack someone in the head with an axe. Other options... not so interested. Try to traverse a rock by jumping - and you miss and just jump up and down - and Lara stamps her foot into the ground so everyone hears it, etc.

Other than that - yes, definitely worth playing.

:smileyhappy:   there are times i can just go without dying.. but i want to see what's the DEATH animation scene was for that particular area.

jumping of a roof top or mountain, being crushed, bombs, burned., floating down the river, walking back in the room after escaping..etc..

it's nice to see the variety of death animations available..  some are BRUTAL!!  worthy of a MATURE game..

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 21 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Mar 11, 2013
Well.. did you play the original? :smileytongue:

Honestly have a lot less problem with the violence in this game than I had with the deaths in the original Tomb Raider. They didn't have them in so good resolution, but Lara's deaths were pretty spectacular. And you shoot people down for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Lara is a moral superwoman in that universe - so she doesn't shoot people down from behind. Unless they were running in the first place, etc.

But that's why I mentioned the needless killing in the remake - it's done so well to give context to all of it. You never really feel as if you're just shooting people because the level-designers didn't have enough creativity to come up with any context or story.

So those few times where you're put in a situation where you're expecting it should be possible to sneak past the guards, but it really isn't, they feel jarring. Same with those slightly too long segments you're walled in, and get hit with homing explosives. Those just scream "lazy design".

But compared to the originals, and pretty much every single "adventure" game with killing in -- this remake is extremely well done. Honestly do not think the "adult" part should apply to this game, because the context for the violence is generally so well explained. And because they avoid the gratuitous "close-up slow-motion head-explode-shot into a spike with a grenade on it" tendency a lot of game-developers use.

It's more that you miss a leap, or you get spiked, etc., because you made a mistake. And you just want to stop it from happening again. Or so I think, at least. You know, that you don't get the sense from this game that you're invincible for as long as the story continues. That the heroes can't die until they've slaughtered everyone and get shot in the back by their own guys, etc. Very little "goon nr. 15 tries to clog your shotgun with his exploded fleshy bits" design. So it doesn't glorify violence in the same way as we usually see in games.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 21 (367 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1772 posts

Mar 11, 2013
This is not a remake....the game is about how she first started
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 21 (364 Views)
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Mar 11, 2013
So.. a "re-imagination"? They've put in and improved so many elements from the original games that "remake" kind of works..
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 21 (352 Views)
0 Likes