Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 27 2013
By: GrayGargoyle PlayStation MVP 11057 posts

What kind of a splash has Tomb Raider made for you?

4 replies 208 views Edited Mar 27, 2013

Remembering the olden Tomb Raiders, I loved venturing through cavernous surroundings, climbing up to the top of a water fall, and plunging down into the pixelated, albeit refreshing body of liquid. Battling everything from wolves, to bears, to my favorite being the T-Rex, Lara seemed to do it all over the years. I also remember it taking me about a month to complete each new Tomb Raider. I'd always say something like, "See you in a month." :smileywink:

It's been some time since I've enjoyed a Tomb Raider as deeply as I did back in the old days. The last Tomb Raider I've fully played through (I wouldn't really count Guardian of Light, even though I've played quite a bit) would be that of 2006's Tomb Raider: Legend. Being the first entry in Crystal's book for the franchise, it was kind of fair but it also wasn't made the same way as the way I was used to playing through Tomb Raiders of the past. In that regard, that version didn't find the same appeal for me... and since then I ended up drifting from the series.

It's now been roughly seven years. From the looks of things Crystal certainly seems to have honed their Tomb Raider skills quite well with this new one. What about everyone else? Do you think the new Tomb Raider made the grade, and makes for one of the best adventures of all-time? How does the latest in Croft's quest compare with the older ones? How does it stack up against the more recent Tomb Raiders from Crystal Dynamics? What say you?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Re: What kind of a splash has Tomb Raider made for you?

Mar 27, 2013

For the most part I love the new Tomb Raider game - story mode only.  I didn't feel it needed an online component.  The multiplayer is one of the worst multiplayer games. Crystal Dynamics has made the bow and arrow more powerful and more practical than the assault rifle, therefore everyone runs around with bows and arrows. When the characters are using firearms they don't even aim them, they just run around shooting from the hip and it's just the most retarded thing to see.  I had to reach level 60 just to unlock the premier character Lara Croft and to unlock the final character we have to reach prestige level 3.  That means you have to reset your rank back to zero and forfeit all the weapons and unlocks you've worked so hard to attain - THREE TIMES!!  I think that's just stupid. 

The worst thing of all is that Crystal Dynamics is on record saying all the downloadable content is only going to be for the multiplayer.  No downloadable content other than the pre-order bonuses will ever be for the story mode.  Story mode is the real meat of the game.  I've never heard of somebody who bought the game for the multiplayer.  Somebody is out of touch, that's all I have to say.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (198 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29172 posts

Mar 27, 2013

I simply love the game. It's one of the best games I've played to date in my opinion. I love the 3rd person style of game and Lara's character is simply awesome in this game. I love the reboot and the recreation and images of Lara. She is so much more of a real person rather than some sex icon.

I did nothing but when I got the game opening day and got my platinum after quite a bit of effort. I'm glad they are patching Shopaholic (or at least they have indicated intent to do so) so that Legacy 3 Level 58 isn't necessary to earn that trophy.

Can't wait for a sequel. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (193 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5890 posts

Mar 28, 2013

Really, really enjoyed the story mode of this game.  Had never played any of the other Tomb Raider games, but ordered the Trilogy yesterday.  Have played all three Uncharted and found this one refreshing as it is not quite as hard as Uncharted.  More of a relaxing adventure, if you can call it that.  

Had one person on the friends list say he did not like the multi-player on Tomb Raider.  I have not tried it yet, but might just to see.

** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
Playstation Signature photo Signature-1.jpg
MVP Terms and Conditions ______(=^‥^=)______ Forum Rules of Conduct

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (190 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4157 posts

Mar 29, 2013

I have fond memories of the first TR. Mainly because it was me and my two older brothers playing it together.

We rented TR as soon as it came out. When we had not yet beaten the game by the time our 3-day rental was up, my oldest brother decided to just buy it for us. After some running around, he finally found a place that still had it in stock.

We worked together, took turns playing, and just had a blast.

I haven't enjoyed a TR game like that since... Now.

The reboot gave me all those feelings again. Even though I wasn't playing with my brothers, I enjoyed the experience just as much.

Of course, my oldest brother isn't really into video games anymore, so I only talk to my other older brother (we're closest in age) about games. We both played it around the same time, so we were able to share the expierence through phone calls and text messages.

I rarely use "Game of the Year" with a game, but this surely is a GOTY contender, in my opinion.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (181 Views)
0 Likes