Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 10 2011
By: Hawkfan267 PlayStation MVP 14015 posts

It's official, No more Tony Hawk games by Hawkfan.

9 replies 1608 views Edited Feb 10, 2011

Intro) Well, hidden in Activision's recent comment about the industry and how well it'll do this year was not only the news that the Guitar hero series was cancellled, but so was the Tony Hawk series. See, http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1148874p1.html.

..and I quote....

In a somewhat unsurprising statement given the earlier announcement of Guitar Hero's end, Activision nonetheless emphasized that not only did series such as Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero fail to meet expectations in 2010, they did not reach profitability. This would explain why Activision took such drastic measures in ending both series rather than trying to radically reinvent them, the route they've tried over the last two years with Tony Hawk: Ride and Shred, and Guitar Hero 5 and Warriors of Rock and the more casual friendly Band Hero. From Activision: Game Industry Becoming Blockbuster or Bust on IGN.com.

Here are the reasons why I think the Hawk series finally ended:

1) It never really fully adapted to the current generation of systems. It was getting there with THPG, but the series needed to adapt to the new industry standards of online and co-op play as well as adding to each game with DLC. No Hawk game ever offered DLC and that's now the norm for most new games.

2) Bad Tony Hawk reviews lead to bad development decisions. IMO Reviewers were not fair to THPG and indeed the previous 2 Hawk games got unfair bad reviews simply because reviewers were tired of reviewing "just another Hawk game" as they always put it. This lead to an under reviewed THPG and an over-reviewd Skate IMO. Now, this in turn lead to the poor development decision of adding a skateboard peripheral. Because the publisher wanted to drastically change the series. Obviously, that did not work.

3) The Skateboard peripheral. The problem with the skateboard wasn't really how it controlled. It did work, just not very well. It was ackward and hard for gamers to adapt to. You add to that the price of $119 at launch and what you have is a disaster waiting to happen.  The truth is the board never caught on. Activision was wrong to stick with it for a second game and sales of Tony Hawk shred proof that. But, the board was only part of the problem. The other is the game itself.

4) Neither TH:Ride or Shred were good games. Tony Hawk ride was basically just a tech demo for the board. It was short and not really that fun to play. Now, one would then assume that the sequel would have fixed Ride's problems. Nope, it didn't. It kept all of the problems that Ride had and even added a new one. And that was that it was marketed to kids.

5) Bad marketing and little to no advertising doomed the last 2 games. If your going to sell the board, then you have to SELL the board in as many venues as possible. Instead, what we happened was that both Ride and Shred were poorly advertised games. As a result,  many confused gamers simply didn't know what to make of the new peripheral. Add that to the fact that the one and only commercial for Shred was aimed at 12 year old kids. Kids that don't have the money for the TH:smileyfrustrated:hred game bundled with the board and their parents not sold on buying a $100 game for thie kids. And you wonder why sales of Shred were so bad. In this economy, the price AND bad marketing help doom the last 2 Hawk games.

6) But, utlimately I blame both the publisher and the developer. Activsion was peripheral crazy and seriously thought a skateboarding  game with a skateboard perpheral would sell well. This despite the fact that the demand for both music games and peripheral-based games (see the demise of guitar hero) were declining. Activison also chose a developer that didn't know what they were doing. I suspect that Activison mostly chose them because they were cheap. Unfortunaly, they focused on the peripheral instead of a game. If the developer had taken time to figure out what made the series so good in the first place, then maybe the last 2 games wouldn't have been so bad. But, you always get what you pay for and in this case it was bad games.

Well, that's my thoughts anyway. I didn't include my opinion in Skate's roll in the Tony Hawk series demise, simply because I don't think it was much of a factor. Sure the competition put more pressure on the developers to make a better game, but ultimately it was the poor descion to incorperate the skateboard peripheral into the series that lead to it's end. That wasn't evolving the Hawk series, it was de-evolving it. And had they changed it back into what it was, the series would be alive today. Oh well, accept and move on I always say.

As for me personally, I'll always be Hawkfan. The series was good up until THPG, so I'll always have older and better Hawk games to play.

Goodbye Tony Hawk franchise. I will miss you.

Discussion: What are your thoughts about the demise of the Hawk franchise? What do you think lead to the series demise (of the reasons that I may have missed)?

-Hawkfan

Multisystem owner. PS Plus member:Legendary status.GAP member with a launch PS3 & PS4.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1685 posts

Re: It's official, No more Tony Hawk games by Hawkfan.

Feb 11, 2011

You make some good points... I especially agree about Activision trying to push the last two expensive, non-functional games and turn it into a gimmick meant for kids is what finally killed it. But, I also think it have started before that (after the Underground games). It seems to me that Activision's only concern was with how much money they could milk out of the series instead of releasing a good, quality game. If they hadn't released them so frequently Neversoft could've put more time into the games, polishing it and bringing improvements. If it hadn't come out on a yearly basis, perhaps reviewers wouldn't have become so tired of them. So instead of improving on THPG and giving it more developing time, they decided that they had to come up with some new, flashy toy to get noticed agian. They also decided the public's opinion didn't matter and spent all their time trying to convince everyone the peripheral is exactly what they wanted...

I'm probably rambling, but I'm kind of sad and frustrated to see it come to an end like this. The Tony Hawk series is one of my favoirte ever. I have lots of memories playing the first four, with friends, with my brother, and just by myself. They were some of the first games I ever loved... The Underground games were great too. The next three were pretty good, and for awhile I played THP8, but I could definitly see the quality decline some... Really, I think it's mostly Activisions fault in refusing to give the fans what they want. They aren't even smart enough to put THPS1-2 on the store, or remake the games and releases them in HD... I'm really starting to hate that company.

Oh well, I'll still have the older games to play, and I will. Theres a few I've traded in over the years, but as soon as I can (and that would be when my family moves back to America) I'll get them back so I can own all of them (except for the Ride and Shred crap). So yeah... goodbye Tony Hawk series.

lensflare15 Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3393 posts

Apr 16, 2011

Activision began to think the series was getting stale so I guess that's why they tried to use this new skate peripheral but, I think that if they were smart they would have ditched it after the release of Ride. I barely even knew about Shred. I really think that with the release of Skate people began to enjoy Skates more realistic approach to Skate boarding and the arcade style of Tony Hawks was beginning to get boring but, I still think they could have made a good Tony Hawk game.

They have to think about what Skate doesn't offer, They don't offer a good story line and creating a skater is not that good either. They can still make a game with a THUG style storyline and give us something that Skate doesn't give us. The hardcore TH fans like my self would give it a chance.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"Only a coward accepts Death"

"
Only a coward accepts death"
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1685 posts

Apr 19, 2011

Shadyhere wrote:

Activision began to think the series was getting stale so I guess that's why they tried to use this new skate peripheral but, I think that if they were smart they would have ditched it after the release of Ride. I barely even knew about Shred. I really think that with the release of Skate people began to enjoy Skates more realistic approach to Skate boarding and the arcade style of Tony Hawks was beginning to get boring but, I still think they could have made a good Tony Hawk game.

They have to think about what Skate doesn't offer, They don't offer a good story line and creating a skater is not that good either. They can still make a game with a THUG style storyline and give us something that Skate doesn't give us. The hardcore TH fans like my self would give it a chance.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"Only a coward accepts Death"

"
Only a coward accepts death"

Yeah, Tony Hawk character customization is some of my favorite in any game, and with the current technology they could put so many creative options... Realism isn't something they need to worry about at all, I think if they focus on making creative levels and challenges, offering something new and a good classic mode, the game could be a success. I would love THUG 3 so much...

lensflare15 Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Apr 27, 2011

It was months ago when I heard the news.  So much for the series redemption.  I just wish they'd repackage THUG, THUG2, and THAW on Bluray, complete with the online environment as well, but of course, that'd be a sonic shot in the dark right there.  Come to think of it, it's been a long while since I even played THPG online.  Are the servers still up, or because of the closure, I can't play against anyone online anymore?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1685 posts

Jun 6, 2011

Lord_Zedd1989 wrote:

It was months ago when I heard the news.  So much for the series redemption.  I just wish they'd repackage THUG, THUG2, and THAW on Bluray, complete with the online environment as well, but of course, that'd be a sonic shot in the dark right there.  Come to think of it, it's been a long while since I even played THPG online.  Are the servers still up, or because of the closure, I can't play against anyone online anymore?

Tony Hawk mentioned there being a new game, so maybe there will be... And yes, a remake of those games would be awesome, along with a remake for the Pro Skater games. Activision doesn't seem to care though.

lensflare15 Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Mar 4, 2013

There may be a new Tony Hawk game and will not be done by Activision. Tony Hawk PS HD is generating the revenue to develop the new game. This is only a rumor but lets hope...

If you got anything from me, it's to find your thing and do you.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (1,321 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2844 posts

Mar 22, 2013

TH Project 8 was the last Tony Hawk game I bought (other than Tony Hawk HD).   They just kept changing the game too much for me to keep enjoying it. I loved THUG 1 and 2, and all the games before that.. Great online play and "create-a-level"...and facemapping...It's like they had the games perfected and then they just started ruining it.

Im loving HD though

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (1,264 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6419 posts

May 5, 2013
HD is good but it's not Underground. Underground 1 and 2 were the best in the series easily. An HD collection of those should be made.
Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion!

http://playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com/

PSN: ScreamAimFire999 [PS4, PS3, PS Vita Owner]
Twitter: @PSPersuasion

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (1,118 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17336 posts

Jun 24, 2013
I remember the days of playing Underground 1 & 2 online. The crazy-**bleep** maps that people would make were awesome. I used to make these "Battle" maps where there were two sides, and the maps were built like forts almost, and you'd play that game-mode where you do a kickflip or whatever to shoot a fireball, haha. Such insanity.

Like a lot of people, I stopped buying the games around the THAW/P8/PG phase. I bought THPS1-4, THUG 1 & 2, THAW, and PG (never tried P8 for some reason). PG was the last one I bought. Then they started doing that board peripheral nonsense, and I knew the series was over then.

I was surprised when HD got announced, but even though it was decent, it still doesn't hold a candle to the older games. THUG 1 was my favorite one, but man, what a shame. Hopefully they just go back to normal skating like the old days (as normal as pulling off a 100 trick combo all across the map was, anyway). Keep the board peripheral crap out of it.

My observation has purpose, hence I am here.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (987 Views)
0 Likes