Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 15 2012
By: jobjobplayrough Lombax Warrior 91 posts

If Your PS3 is Freezing Playing TM (PLEASE READ)(5 Week Update)

[ Edited ]
12 replies 728 views Edited Nov 9, 2012

If your PS3 Freezes While Playing Twisted Metal it could be because your PS3 is overheating.

I am not guaranteeing this but ever since I have done this simple "trick" I Have yet to freeze. While I use to Freeze on a Daily Basis sometimes 3 to 4 times a night!

GIVE YOUR PS3 ROOM TO BREATH - If your PS3 in an entertainment center that is enclosed take it out. The Exhaust is in the rear of the PS3 and if the Heat has no were to go and it will be sucked back into the PS3. The "Intake" vents are along the curved edge on the sides of the PS3.  Since most Entertainment system have a back that air will stay in the chamber that your PS3 is in. Some entertainment system have channels so you can run wires, If you have any other heat producing electronics in the same area. The heat from those will also effect the air that your PS3 is using to cool it's self off with. It that air is Hot then it will not cool itself off. It is also a good Idea to remove it even if you are not having issues with the game. Since Heat can Destroy your PS3.

ELEVATE YOUR PS3 - by placing something underneath your PS3 to raise it off of a flat surface you are allowing more air to reach the INTAKES. If you are to set your PS3 flat on a surface there would only be like a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of space between the bottom of the "curve" on the sides of the PS3. Not much room for the Fan inside the PS3 to grab cool air to move threw your PS3. Simply by raising those slots you are effectively giving your PS3 more air to breath. This will also put less strain on your systems fan to try and draw the air in. I used a book about 2in thick to elevate my PS3. Remember though If you use something Larger then the PS3 to are NOT ELEVATING IT OFF of the SURFACE. So you will be back to square one.

EXAMPLE:

2012-10-15-042141.jpg

Other Possibilities - I take NO RESPONSIBILITY on how these other tricks might effect your PS3.

Trick 1 - Place your PS3 on a Laptop Cooling Pad.

Trick 2 - Purchase an aftermarket Fan attachment.

I can not make ANY PROMISES that this will work for you, but it is something that I have found (atlest) for now to work wonders for me. This game is a great game, it is to bad we have had little support for this game. But we as a community can help "support" this game the best we know how. I plead with any other players who have Had Issues with the game and have "found" a solution to help/fix the Issues to Make a Topic and Post it. While I don't know if we have MODs for this Forum, but If we do could you please STICKY THIS THREAD. If by some chance that I am wrong about it I do apologize and ask that the thread be closed and removed.  BUT THIS COULD ALSO SAVE YOUR PS3!!!

UPDATE: 3 Week update

I have gone from freezing on Daily basis to on Freezing under 10 times in 3 weeks. I have only had 1 night that I have frozen more than once( and that was after 3 hours of continuous play).  Almost everytime I have frozen the Entire Room has also frozen. I have been in many games where others have said they froze but I have not. Freezing has become more of a rarity then the norm it use to be. I am going to use the PopCan trick suggested by EastCoastGhost tonight and see how that goes. PS make sure you vacuum out your vents 1st.

UPDATE: 5 Week update

I have frozen a hand full of times in the last 2 weeks. usually do to Host Issues in my opionion. When I freeze so does everybody else. I need to Vacum out my PS3 as I haven't cleaned it out since the day I purchased it about 2 years ago. If you do have Issues freezing please try this trick. I also wonder if any body that has Download this game off of the PSN store are having the same Issues with freezing.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (728 Views)
Lombax Warrior
91 posts

Re: If Your PS3 is Freezing Playing TM (PLEASE READ)

[ Edited ]
Oct 15, 2012

I realize that this may look funny, but It is WAY BETTER then having to do a Hard Shut Down on my PS3. If any of you try this and It works or it doesn't work for you please Post your Results. The only true way to know if this is a "quick" fix for some of the freezing issues that most have experienced.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (717 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
118 posts

Oct 15, 2012

some games everyone freezes out a game probably due to the host

also first boot up it stays endlesly in testing connection bandwidth loop and i have to quit the game and restart

before the game works fine

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (687 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
91 posts

Oct 15, 2012

I get that sometimes everyone freezes out of the lobby due to host issues. But I have Yet to experiance that as well. I have had it a lobby break up and it sent everyone to thier own new lobby. Like I said I will keep everybody uptodate on how this is working for me. But I must say so far so good. I haven't had to reboot my system as of yet. Sometimes I will get "stuck" on the connecting to Twisted Metal Server Screen, but I just go to the XMB and quit the game and then restart the game and it Goes right in. 

Like I have said before I was a player who would experiance MULTIPLE FREEZES everysingle night. Since doing this I have NOT frozen yet. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (672 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Oct 15, 2012

This is an old trick if you have a phat ps3 you can get the best results using 4 soda cans to prop your system up the cans dissipate heat fast so you don't have to worry about the system laying on something hot and it allows air flow underneath the bottom of the system where extra heat would build up. I had a 60gig with the fan mod that played the game perfectly but I broke it and now have a super slim that runs the game like it's nothing.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (663 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1918 posts

Oct 16, 2012
all of this DOES NOT WORK , yes having it in a closed space will only make it intake its own hot air.. i recommend changing the thermal paste... and or having your room below 80 Deg F , whatyour doing is TBH useless .... its not getting extra air ETC , and unless teh games freezing in SP then heat has nothing to do with it.. this is coming from a guy with a launch date ps3 that has givin me minimal problems .. thanks to me changing the paste on its 4th birthday..
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (638 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Oct 16, 2012

Yeah changing the thermal paste is ideal but the op has a slim that could only be a year old were simply stating ways you can get better airflow if you don't want to take your system apart.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (620 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
91 posts

Oct 17, 2012

If this DOES NOT WORK, then can you please explain to me why in 4 days I have yet to freeze since doing this little trick. So instead of being all negative towards others for trying to help a struggling community out, why don't you just leave the post alone. It is not hurting anyone at all. I said many many times that I can't guarantee that it will work for everyone. But if it helps out one person and they play Twisted Metal without "To many Issues" then I will have done what I could.

O and by the way the freezing issues has been around since launch of the game.

Thanks to EastSideGhost for the Pop Can Trick, I think I might have to switch to that. All this stuff reminds me of the days of having to do the "Blow and Lick" trick on the NES and on my  PS1 during its dying years we had to "Rotate" the console every couple of days because it wouldn't load games.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (605 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
438 posts

Oct 17, 2012
I have had crashing problems with TM only. I have a fat orginal release date ps3...

About 2 weeks ago I vacuumed it out real well and also put it away from anything and laid it vertically and have no crashed a single time o.o
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (596 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
91 posts

Oct 25, 2012

bump... bump.....

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (547 Views)
0 Likes