Mar 29 2013
By: Redman8412 First Son 2 posts

New thoughts on Laser Pistol

[ Edited ]
5 replies 310 views Edited Mar 29, 2013

Hey guys.

I just unlocked the laser (finally - no warthog yet). Of course I didnt expect it to be better than the rockets, but I must say I am a bit dissapointed, given the requirements to unlock it.

So basically, I noticed that the charge bar turns red after each successful hit with the laser, and a misfire will return it back to white (also, if you are frozen). It seems to me that the laser was intended to do more damage (like a stage 2) when red, but it just doesnt happen. (glitch?)

This would then make sense, for a sidearm that requires enough skill to beat the game, it would be the most challenging to use, but if used with extreme accuracy could easily do superior damage.

Perhaps, 2x damage, which would result from a single hit (doesnt matter how long its charged - even a 1 damage hit turns it red) and then hold to full charge and hit - 50 damage, 51 total damage in about 6 seconds. Very tricky to pull off in the heat of a battle, but how rewarding!

Of course I really have no idea whats the real stoy on this laser pistol, and I tried searching all the forums, so I have come here for your thoughts!

See you on the battlefield!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1803 posts

Re: New thoughts on Laser Pistol

Mar 29, 2013

To be honest, it is the best pickup if you have the ability to use it properly. 

You can spam it faster than anything else, and it never runs out, so you could technically do more than 5 damage per second. However, that would mean you aim 100% correct and all that stuff. If you charged it, it could be highly effective against opponents. 

You have good possiblity to make it useful and effective, but of course, it's too demanding to take it to that level when you can rely on the auto-aim function of the rockets. 

What I'm saying is that if you rapidly tap it, it does a lot of damage. However, it's probably beyond wise when this game has auto-aim guided missiles. Even though it sort of is super fast and  deadly. 

Vadimony Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Mar 30, 2013

I'd say after two weeks of playing with the laser pistol, it became my new favorite sidearm.

What sucks about it? Just like every other weapon without homing; being accurate isn't truly accounted for considering lag and whatever skill-detering offsets the game offers.

When shooting at a target moving in a straight line in front of you, you can shoot at tham and will most likely register the hit.  If the target is moving horizontally in your field-of-view, you ABSOLUTELY have to shoot in front of them, because even though the laser pistol can be seen making contact with the target when shot at directly, it usually doesn't register the damage.

You can do more than 25 damage in one shot, but that depends on how many players get hit by it. My record is 3 players going for 75 damage.

The pros of using the laser pistol:

Not too many use it, so most people aren't going to see it coming - Since I unlocked this sidarm on New Year's Day, I have only seen one other person use it up to this day.

People tend to shield after they see it whiz by them; they panic-shield.

Good for poaches.

Most realistically effective damage-dealing sidearm when paired with accuracy(the predictive, compensating-for-game-issues, well-timed accuracy) -

Logistically speaking, the mounted guns do the most damage over time with 100% accuracy(or maybe it's the Magnum?), but  because people aren't going to use it in spurts, it can be absorbed to shoot a stalker - It's easy to do with it's predictability. Also in regards to the mounted guns compared to the laser pistol, you will always be on radar for using the mounted guns whether or not you planned on attacking, as with the pistol you can overcharge it, or save it for the right moment when exposing yourself.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (270 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 30, 2013

I hear what Vad is saying, but the truth is I have been using the rockets for so long now, I kinda just want to try something else.

I saw you(X-Ployt) using the laser, thats what made me curious. I think the room I was in with you the other night was the first time I've ever seen a laser whiz by me (although I may not have been aware of it before, since I didnt know what it looked like until I unlocked it, but it is pretty distinct)

Have you noticed the charge bar turning red after a successful hit though? This is what I am most curious about. Is there more to this thing?

Thanks for the insight

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Mar 30, 2013

Not to derail what the topic is about but I do like to use the Uzi or Rockets.

I like the idea of a small amount of tracking with a guaranteed little chunk of damage.

Less skill involved I know but well...

I play Meat Wagon as well usually so that figures :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (258 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Mar 31, 2013

Meat Wagon takes skill, you just don't realize it.

Piloted gurney - hit 3 destructible and it's gone. RCs and Super Drop Mines take it out easy with their invisible and over-extended range. Get ganged up on by three other players and escaping after coming back to the vehicle can be a task.

People just can't handle the extended shield and the gurney spamming. I'll gurney spam to dump my inventory before I die, but besides that, it's almost a waste.

Lasert pistol - I think the bar turns red  when it can't be used.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (242 Views)
0 Likes