405 posts

You have the FHE. Mate. Enough said! :D

Jul 16, 2010

You have the FHE. Mate. Enough said! :smileyvery-happy:

Message 11 of 51 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
173 posts

I collect old fashioned pulp fiction comics and novels fr...

Jul 16, 2010

I collect old fashioned pulp fiction comics and novels from the 1890's-1960's. The reason I love Uncharted is because I feel it expertly captures the spirit of that style of story telling, paying homage to many archetypes of the genre, and at the same time it's a great send-up to modern action/adventure films.

I've adopted the Uncharted series into my collection of pulp paraphernalia, which is why I'm trying to collect everything I can of the series. It's not easy to find stuff, but it's a hell of a lot easier than tracking down some of the books I've looked for.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Rated-G
Message 12 of 51 (600 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Oh, yeah. I think any fan of Doc Savage, Allan Quatermain...

Jul 16, 2010

Rated-G wrote:

I collect old fashioned pulp fiction comics and novels from the 1890's-1960's. The reason I love Uncharted is because I feel it expertly captures the spirit of that style of story telling.

Oh, yeah. I think any fan of Doc Savage, Allan Quatermain, John Carter of Mars, even Conan the Barbarian would love the Uncharted series. I'd love (LOVE!) some pulpy Nathan Drake novels in that style. On a tangent, I've only really read the big names in pulp novels, are there any lesser-known titles you recommend?

Message 13 of 51 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
173 posts

Totally! I would love it if they made some throwback nove...

Jul 17, 2010

Totally! I would love it if they made some throwback novels based on the Uncharted universe. Be they comics or straight novels. I'd buy those in a heartbeat! I've thought about making some comics myself, but I don't think I have enough time to make them and have them meet the level of quality I'd expect from this series.

As far as other notable pulp series, The Shadow is good, my favorite being the 1938 story "The Dead who Lived". I love the series because of the ambiguity of the character, which ran for quite a while, little pieces of the Shadow's backstory VERY slowly being revealed as the series went on.

A good character that's often overlooked in my opinion, is Sexton Blake, never really it's own magazine, the series ran in with larger publications. It's actually one of the easier series to get a hold of, some anthologies and omnibuses have been published as recently as last year. It was a British series which started out pretty distinctive, but as Sherlock Holmes came to fame the Sexton Blake was written to be more like that character. In the 1910's-1920's though, he became much more action oriented that Holmes. That's when the series starts to get good! Blake's enemies are pretty interesting, for example; Zenith the Albino is considered one of the earliest examples of a super villain in modern English culture.

Speaking of super villains, Fu Manchu is another great series. That character alone inspired many characters in other series including Dr Who and Flash Gordon. What I find interesting about the series is that the character sparked controversy as a negative racial stereotype, and this was in the '30's!

I could probably list some others but now I feel that I'm taking attention away from the purpose of this thread... I hope I answered your question though!

Message 14 of 51 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

I'm very lost in all what you've said, that because I don...

Jul 17, 2010

I'm very lost in all what you've said, that's because I don't know... well anything about what you're saying, but, yeah, Uncharted novel (should it be a comic as well) would be awesome. :smileyhappy: Ratchet & Clank is getting a comic, I think Resistance got a few...so Uncharted could get one, in addition to the animated "Eye Of Indra".

As for the thread's original purpose (though I think what you're talking about is interesting, no worries :smileywink:), here's a little photo of my Uncharted collection: (click the links for individual pictures + description) I'm sorry about the quality of the pictures, I didn't use flash and it wasn't very light in my room.

» Click this image to access Flickr, I've tagged each item. (+ other items)

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Jak X: As a bonus, sort of, my Jak X Poster signed by Naughty Dog, doesn't quite fit with Uncharted, I know. :smileyvery-happy:

Well that's my collection... it's not worth a Fortune Hunter Edition, but they usually go for $2000 or $3000 on eBay (I mean, that's just way too expensive for my 17 year-old pockets ^^), and living in France just didn't give me any change to get one... sadly. Oh well, meeting with Co-President Christophe Balestra does make up for it, he's very friendly, nice guy. :smileyhappy:

Message 15 of 51 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
173 posts

OH MY GOD!!... How did you get the press kits for both ga...

Jul 17, 2010

OH MY GOD!!... How did you get the press kits for both games?! I don't even know where to start trying to get a hold of those!

I was going to post pictures of my collection but I can't compete with that... 

Message 16 of 51 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Well if you don't have contacts in press, like me (well,...

Jul 18, 2010

Well if you don't have contacts in press, like me (well, I have some but it's more with Playstation France's PR), your first choice would be eBay, though I have seen over time that Europe gets more "opportunities" like this than North America.

But be wise, don't buy a Press-Kit too expensive either. I've paid a lot already for the Uncharted 2 PK but now it goes for more than twice as much on Buy It Now... over 300€ is way too much.

Though, these Press Kits become more and more rare as the game's release date passes. Right now you won't find an UDF PK easily, whereas I got mine pretty cheap and with no problems.

And please, post your pictures! :smileyhappy:

Message 17 of 51 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
173 posts

I'll post in a little while, gotta charge my camera.   I'...

Jul 18, 2010

I'll post in a little while, gotta charge my camera.

I'm willing to pay for the press kits, I know the one for Uncharted 2 is on ebay for like... $400 right now... but it's the Drake's Fortune one that I want more. I also really like that bag you have. I've been looking for a bag like that, not necessarily an Uncharted one, but now that I know it exists I'd rather have that.

Message 18 of 51 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

This isn't my whole collection Whats not pictured is my p...

Jul 21, 2010

This isn't my whole collection

Whats not pictured is my press kit for Uncharted 2 and

Drakes Fortune game guide and eventually someone I know is selling me the

Paper clip holder.

Enjoy,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejh343/sets/

Let me know if link doesnt work

Message 19 of 51 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2048 posts

Nice!

Jul 21, 2010

Cool collections! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us JaKhris and ejh343.

Message 20 of 51 (600 Views)
0 Likes