Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 12 2010
By: gmantis First Son 3 posts

Chapter 12 bug, Elaina wont open the door after shooting the planks (Unchartered 2)

6 replies 953 views Edited Jun 12, 2010

I have had some frustration trying to get past this screen, I know its a bug I have referred to the guide and found this problem is not unique to me. Someone else has the same issue posted on the forum below. See second post on page below.

http://www.community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Uncharted/Uncharted-2-Bugs-Thread/td-p/9421784/page/3

The other thing I noticed that if I try to continue when returning to the game it will hang trying to open this screen . Starting the chapter again leaves me stuck in the same place, hanging on the sign waiting for Elaina to open the door, which she never does and I can't get off the sign. I need a patch to go further or a save game after this point, I was really in to it too so its a bummer to be stuck at 45% unable to progress further.

I have the latest service packs, Im always connected.

Regards, Frustrated please help.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (953 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2048 posts

Hello

Jun 17, 2010

gmantis wrote:

I have had some frustration trying to get past this screen, I know its a bug I have referred to the guide and found this problem is not unique to me. Someone else has the same issue posted on the forum below. See second post on page below.

http://www.community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Uncharted/Uncharted-2-Bugs-Thread/td-p/9421784/page/3

The other thing I noticed that if I try to continue when returning to the game it will hang trying to open this screen . Starting the chapter again leaves me stuck in the same place, hanging on the sign waiting for Elaina to open the door, which she never does and I can't get off the sign. I need a patch to go further or a save game after this point, I was really in to it too so its a bummer to be stuck at 45% unable to progress further.

I have the latest service packs, Im always connected.

Regards, Frustrated please help.

Hmm this sounds like an issue I have never come across in all my years working on the title.

So after you defeat all the enemy waves while hanging off the lightpost(4 or 5 I think, it's been a while), you shoot the boards blocking the door, and Elena won't open the door?

Can you reproduce the issue for me and write down exactly the steps of what occured? Like this:

Chapter title

1. "I did ___ with Drake, using ___ weapon and hanging off ____"

2. "Elena said ____"

3. "Enemies appeared. I went through ____ waves"

4. "No more enemies appeared. I shot the boards with the _____ weapon"

5. "Elena did ____ and progress was unable to continue"

If you can fill in the blanks with some of what you were doing, it will help us diagnose this issue further. Thanks for taking the time to post the issue!

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (953 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4542 posts

You shoot the planks before of after killing all mercenar...

Jun 17, 2010

You shoot the planks before or after killing all mercenaries? Try both and see if it works.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (953 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Chapter 12 Glitch - Elena doesn't lower the bridge after the gunfight while hanging on the signs.

Apr 18, 2011

I'm so surprised that this other player never replied to your request.

Hopefully this thread is still being watched because this happened to me yesterday and I'm still trying to find some information to get around it.  The one thing that's most peculiar about this chapter, other than the obvious non-triggering event, is that when I watch others play through on YouTube there is an extensive dialog with Elena.  

Here is my rather winded walkthrough of the problem starting at the opening Chapter 12 FMV:

The conversation between Drake and Elena ends once Elena tells Drake to "Be Careful".

I then jump to the 2 signs to the left of the building and leap across to the ceiling of the building with the guard on top, the one with half the ceiling busted out.  I take him down first.

Then after taking out all the rest of the guards ninja-style, I toss Elena her up to the fire escape, cross over to the locked door, press the triangle button at the prompt, then jump to the green hanging sign shown in the hint.

From the green hanging sign, I jump to the adjacent street lamp.  The green sign falls, from here I cannot jump back to the building.  I swing from the street lamp onto the big yellow hanging sign on the single post supporting 3 non-adjacent signs.  One sign is blue and fuscia, clockwise of that sign is a blue or possibly purple sign with white scratches or white paint splattered on it, and clockwise to that is the biggest yellow sign that I'll use as cover in the upcoming rain of gunfire.

Using only the pistol I can aim over to the 3 wood planks sealing the gate behind which is a very patient Elena.  Keep in mind that there is still no conversation going on between Elena and Drake as seen in YouTube videos.  Once I shoot out the planks, nothing happens.  If I toss a grenade over by the door the blast triggers Elena to open it and walk through but still without dialogue.  She points to the guards on the opposite rooftop and the fight ensues.

After the fight and all is once again quiet, Drake is stuck hanging on the 3 signs used for cover and cannot go anywhere else.  Elena is supposed to say "Hey I'll lower this walkway for you".  She never drops the bridge and attemtps to use the menu to restart the chapter, from checkpoint, or even quit to title lock up the game forcing the PS3 to restart.

Here is my attempt to fill in your blanks:

Chapter 12 - A Train To Catch

1. I jumped to the 3 hanging signs and shot the wooden planks off the gate with Drake, using grenade/handgun weapon and hanging off the 3 signs in the middle of the area.

2. Elena said nothing...but I know that she's supposed to say "Hey I'll lower this walkway for you" after the fire fight.

3. Enemies appeared. I went through 3 waves, one from just about every direction.

4. No more enemies appeared. I shot the boards with the handgun weapon but this happened before the enemies appeared..

5. Elena did NOT drop the bridge allowing Drake to jump off of the 3 signs and progress was unable to continue.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (953 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Something like this has happened to me too, twice

Jul 11, 2011

This same type of bug has happened to me twice in different parts of the game. When I experienced it, it had similar characteristics to what's described above where the character dialog/voice doesn't ever happen. In both cases, the scene doesn't get fully drawn as well. It is a frustrating bug because it permanently seems to corrupt the save/game data forcing you to delete everything and start from the beginning again. Sorry for the extended post but I'm really hoping that Naughty Dog will read this and it'll provide them useful information. Furthermore, I saved a copy of my corrupted save data in case this will help in finding the bug which I can send somewhere.

The first time was on "Keep Moving".

- When you first start off with Jeff, you make your way down an alley and Elena opens a door for you to your left. She's supposed to yell out and tell you to enter there, but the dialog never happened.

- I entered and made my way to the back door but Chloe was blocking the exit and wasn't reacting to my character trying to push past her.

- When I finally pushed my way past Chloe, the alleyway outside was completely blank as if the scene just never rendered graphically.

- The music played like a skipping CD.

- Despite restarting from the save point multiple times and restarting my PS3 and the game, the same bug happened every time.

- I verified this wasn't a disc problem as I even went so far as to purchase a new copy of the game, and with the new disc, the same bug occurred, so it must be related to the game/save data.

- After several restarts from the save point, the save point failed to load. It would hang at the loading animation (spinning dagger)

- I gave up and deleted all my game/save data and restarted from the beginning. On second playthrough, I didn't experience the bug anymore

It just happened to me again on a new playthrough, this time on Locomotion/Crushing. (Note I did get through this scene previously and did not experience this bug)

- The scene is not rendering properly. The floor of the scene and other elements seem to be missing.

- Other set pieces like boxes or crates are missing. I noticed some floating grenades that should be on top of something.

- Again, there are no sounds out of Drake -- usually he grunts when he jumps or climbs, but now he's silent. Enemies voices stop working as well (for example, when they spotted me they stopped yelling "he's here" or whatever they say). Gun shots and other noises continued as expected.

- When I made my way down the train, the train just suddenly ended (no more cars to continue onto) when it should've continued, so there is no way to progress.

- When you die in this state, the music that typically plays doesn't play.

- After dying, the game hangs at the loading animation (dagger spinning) forever forcing you to exit the game.

- Upon restarting the game from your save point, the beginning of the save point seems fine even if you're in the same place where you experienced the bug in a previous life. However, eventually the bug will come back.

- After several restarts,  my save point stopped loading. I then tried starting from the Locomotion chapter in the chapter selector rather than my save point, and I continue to experience the same bug when starting there.

I think I will have no choice but to delete all my data and restart.

I love this game and Naughty Dog, but this bug is sooo frustrating when it happens because it corrupts your save and game state permanently so there's no way out but to restart and cross your fingers it won't happen again. I'd be curious to know if Naughty Dog is aware of this issue and what they might suggest to fix the game state when you run into it?

Also some notes, I have the game of the year edition and a relatively new PS3 slim. I tried to look up what a version number but wasn't able to find it. Let me know if there's any further information I can attempt to provide.

I'm attaching some screenshots of the Locomotion glitch.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (953 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Re: Something like this has happened to me too, twice

Sep 25, 2012

Sorry to necropost but I see a developer was in this thread at one point and I'm having the same issue and unable to proceed with the game ...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (931 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Re: Something like this has happened to me too, twice

Feb 15, 2013

I was having the same issue, kept going through it and it just wasn't working, and every time I had to reboot the PS3. Finally I went and deleted the Patch (1.09 which includes every single patch that was released, I have no idea which patch exactly created this mess), went back to the chapter and everything worked fine.

Elena was conversing with me and she opened the gate without me having to throw a grenade, after I took care of the waves of enemies she lowered the bridge for me. 

The downside to this is that it means you can't play multiplayer and the story whenever you choose, you'll have to choose one or the other. Which if fine for me as I plan on finishing the story and then moving on to Uncharted 3, but will certainly be a pain in the arse for others.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (742 Views)
0 Likes