Oct 31 2010
By: Shadow3124 Splicer 50 posts

Connection problems

11 replies 335 views Edited Oct 31, 2010

Since around halloween i have not been able to connect. The game will take 5 minutes to log on, quit and give an error, log on but not find any players, or I will freeze in while playing a game. This has happened to me before in may but it was fixed in a couple weeks. My internet connection is fine, and have no problem with any other online game. I am running on 1.09.041 in MD, US. Just thought i should bring this to your attention and see if anyone else is having this problem.

Message 1 of 12 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Do you mean since the launch anniversary (~16th)??

Oct 31, 2010

It was Halloween only yesterday right?  I get an "error syncing models" every time I try to logon normally since Oct 16.  Contact Sony customer support.  A lot of people have this problem, Sony need to fix it.

I am using a complicated workaround to play in the meantime.  A quick overview is in  the thread http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Error-syncing-models/td-p/115782  I can give you more detail if you want to try something like this.

Message 2 of 12 (335 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Minus the 5 min login...I have these issues, and a few ot...

Nov 3, 2010

Minus the 5 min login...I have these issues, and a few others.  ND is not responding.  A friend of mine is having similar issues.  This thread seems to hold the most info so far for this: http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Game-Freezes-At-Loading-Screen-Then-Having-Money-An...

Still no fix though. 

Message 3 of 12 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
927 posts

I've saw your sollution tttty_twtster, a VPN to your work...

Nov 3, 2010

I've saw your sollution tttty_twtster, a VPN to your work network infrastructure.

If you can play at that infrastructure, it means that your home network is broke some where and this was discussed before, some functions found on routers for home use doesn't work like DMZ or Port Forwarding because it doesn't NAT the private IP or if it does it corrupt the packet header, that is why some times you find users logging in with their private IP address instead of public IP.

To make a long story short, instead of using VPN configure the PS3 PPPoE with your ISP account.

Message 4 of 12 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Thanks for the suggestions Wuemura

Nov 8, 2010

But I have tried setting up the PPPOE connection on the PS3.  Exactly the same error, everytime.  Just for fun I tried it again after I read your post and it gave the same result.

I am at a loss as to where the problem could be.  I have tried two different routers on my home connection, both of which worked for the 9-10 months prior to the anniversary date.  I can connect with either of these routers if I connect via VPN to my work's nework and use their connection as my gateway.  I can connect via my iPhone 3G tethered to my laptop sharing that connection to my PS3.

But I can't connect on either router with the PS3 inside or outside the DMZ, nor with UPnP on or off, ports forwarded or not.  I always get the error syncing models message.  However if I delete the game data file (main one, not the 1.09 version) and go through the resync livedata process I can get to the lobby most times, however I can't party up with friends, and my friend's party status is very slow to update (like 20-30 seconds up to 2 minutes).  But once I have to exit MP for wahtever reason, I cannot reconnect again due to this error syncing models.

Maybe its a problem with my ISP somehow, but I don't know enough to know how to start asking questions etc with them.

Nobody seems to want to know about this issue.  I have contacted Sony customer support in two countries.  One replied that their technicians also couldn't connect to multiplayer and that I should contact the game developer for a solution.  The other country replied that this is a game specific problem that I need to follow up with the game developer onn their website.

From the game developers, they finally responded to say that they don't have customer support resources and help out when and if they can on various problems.

Kind of a stalemate then isn't it.  I used to play daily, now due to the difficulty I have to go through to connect, I might play a couple of times a week and I can see that dwindling as I lose interest and get lazy to setup and wait for the connection every time I want to play.

Anyway, rant over.  The point of my message was to say that bridging my router and setting up PPPOE on the PS3 gave no improved result whatsoever.

Message 5 of 12 (335 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

wanted to pick it up again, but couldn't

Nov 8, 2010

a few months back, i was really hooked on this U2. i got the plat and ventured into multiplayer and was having a great time. eventually i put it away to make room for other things. well a few days ago i tried playing it again and have been runnning into the same problems i read here. i dl'd and installed the 1.09 patch and tried gettin online. LiveSync (or whatever it is) went fine, and i went to match making. i sat and waited for a game to be found but nothing happened. i waited for 5 minutes and all it was doing was telling me "looking for close game... looking for players" etc etc. so i decided screw that and went to single player to play for fun. no dice. i chose a chapter and waited for that to load. it sat at the loading screen with the phurba dagger spinning at the bottom right of the screen. now im searching the forums to make sure its not just my game thats screwed. seems to be a pretty common thing among U2ers. just my 2 cents...

Message 6 of 12 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
927 posts

@tttty_twtster, can you post your modem statistics like:...

Nov 8, 2010

@tttty_twtster, can you post your modem statistics like:

1. Attenuation (dB)

2. SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio or Signal to Noise Margin)

3. CRC Error.

4. FEC Error

5. Packet drops.

Things to consider about SNR:

6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
11dB-20dB is good with no synch problems
20dB-28dB is excellent
29dB or above is outstanding

Things to consider about Attenuation:

20dB and below is outstanding
20dB-30dB is excellent
30dB-40dB is very good
40dB-50dB is good
50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues
60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

Message 7 of 12 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Something like this? (sry about formatting I just copy paste)

Nov 10, 2010

Mode:                                  G.DMT 

Type:                                     Interleave 

Line Coding:                       Trellis On 

Link Power State:             L0 

Downstream      Upstream

SNR Margin (dB):                                                             16.5                        10.0 

Attenuation (dB):                                                            4.0                          0.0 

Output Power (dBm):                                                    12.3                        7.8 

Attainable Rate (Kbps):                                                                 12841                    1323 

Rate (Kbps):                                                                       9379                       1107 

K (number of bytes in DMT frame):                         272                         33 

R (number of check bytes in RS code word):        6                              12 

S (RS code word size in DMT frame):                       0.5                          4 

D (interleaver depth):                                                    0                              0 

Delay (msec):                                                                    0                              0 

Super Frames:                                                                   11121263             11121261 

Super Frame Errors:                                                        5                              0 

RS Words:                                                                           1512491832         189061437 

RS Correctable Errors:                                                    1719                       4 

RS Uncorrectable Errors:                                               16                           N/A 

HEC Errors:                                                                          1                              0 

OCD Errors:                                                                         0                              0 

LCD Errors:                                                                          0                              0 

Total Cells:                                                                         4182314446         0 

Data Cells:                                                                           198415960           0 

Bit Errors:                                                                            0                              0 

Total ES:                                                                               5                              0 

Total SES:                                                                             0                              0 

Total UAS:                                                                           19                           0 

Message 8 of 12 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Statistics -- ATM ATM Interface Statistics In Octets 9526...

Nov 10, 2010

Statistics -- ATM

ATM Interface Statistics

In Octets 952609648

Out Octets 903578352

In Errors 0

In Unknown 0

In Hec Errors 0

In Invalid VPI VCI Errors 0

In Port Not Enable Errors 0

In PTI Errors 0

In Idle Cells 0

In Circuit Type Errors 0

In OAM RM CRC Errors 0

In GFC Errors 0

AAL5 Interface Statistics

In Octets 952609648

Out Octets 903578352

In Ucast Pkts 8301224

Out Ucast Pkts 5654022

In Errors 1

Out Errors 0

In Discards 0

Out Discards 0

AAL5 VCC Statistics

VPI/VCI CRC Errors SAR Timeouts Oversized SDUs Short Packet Errors Length Errors

0/100     1                    0                          0                              0                                  0

Message 9 of 12 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
927 posts

@tttty_twtster, keep an eye on the Upstream SNR Margin fo...

Nov 11, 2010

@tttty_twtster, keep an eye on the Upstream SNR Margin for variation because 10dB is the limit to a "disaster" in online games, here is my DSL basic information to compare:

Mode: ADSL2+
Type: Fast
Line Coding: Trellis On

SNR Margin (dB): 29.4dB (down) / 25.6dB (up)
Attenuation (dB): 15.2dB / 16.8dB

All error related information: 0 / No errors.

Since using PPPoE doesn't help, looks like the problem is something else, the last item to troubleshoot is your PS3 HDD, if possible get a new HDD with low storage space like 20GB / 60GB @5400RPM, install the system software and download all updates from Uncharted 2 to see if this works or not.

Message 10 of 12 (335 Views)
0 Likes