Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 23 2010
By: brianrubin First Son 4 posts

Stuck on a glitch in "The Dig" in Uncharted 2 re: grenades. Please Help.

5 replies 2248 views Edited May 23, 2010

Hey y'all, how are you? This is my first time writing on these forums, because I'm a new PS3 owner and never had a problem worth writing about until now.

I'm on "The Dig" chapter of Uncharted 2, and there's a point after reading Marco Polo's journal wherein all the bad guys come back to the camp. Nate sees some grenades, says how convenient that is, and then the game pops up telling you to hit L1 to aim a grenade. At that point all you CAN hit is L1. It then tells you to hold down L1 to aim and tap R2 to throw the grenade.

The problem is, after multiple replays, Nate doesn't ever seem to actually TAKE any of the grenades. This is after hitting the triangle button -- which should take the grenades -- several times, as well as every other dang button. When he reaches for the grenades, the small "Can't Take Ammo/Ammo Full" indicator (picture of bullets behind a red circle with a line through it) pops up as well. At this point, the game freezes with Nate holding an AK-47 rather than a grenade, and I can't proceed any further.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get past this? I can't seem to turn off the tutorial hints, and I've tried many different ways to approach this point (i.e. not using guns, coming from different angles, etc) and it all seems to reach the same point with the game being stuck.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (2,248 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6018 posts

You've lobbed the 'convenient' greades using the grenade...

May 23, 2010

You've lobbed the 'convenient' greades using the grenade arc method, right? (Which if I remember correctly is done by holding L2.) I think throwing them (without aiming) is holding L1 then pressing L2... Have you done both?

Having said that, I don't know why it should freeze on you whether you have or have not.

Displaced NDF individual :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (2,248 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

I've TRIED, but sadly nothing actually happens. I hit L1...

May 24, 2010

I've TRIED, but sadly nothing actually happens. I hit L1 like it tells me to, then it shows Nate coming out of cover and pointing its gun. Then it tells me to hold down L1 to aim and press R2 to throw. I've done this, several times, and nothing works. The only things that work at the Start and PS buttons at that point, the rest of the game seems to freeze while waiting for me to throw a grenade which Nate doesn't seem to have. Sigh.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (2,248 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6018 posts

I think it is L2 to lob the grenade. R2 reloads the gun....

May 24, 2010

I think it is L2 to lob the grenade. R2 reloads the gun. Maybe that is the problem?

R1 pulls Nate from cover and he'll aim his gun. L1 will fire his gun. L2 will throw a grenade where he is aiming.

If you press and hold L2 instead of L1 the grenade arc will show and you can throw a grenade that way.

Displaced NDF individual :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (2,248 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

I had the same PROBLEM in that same spot --> the BIG F...

Dec 25, 2010

I had the same PROBLEM in that same spot --> the BIG Freeze Up at "the Dig" level. Couldn't throw the grenade w/ the rifle always appearing in my hand! Whole game jammed, no buttons worked except "start button" taking me back to the menu and then re-enter in the same loop only to go thru the same sequence and jam up again. Major buzz-kill OR Game Kill was more like it! Should I quite the game entirely and return it at the store as some forum posters suggested? As...

it was driving me absolutely nuts; I rebooted the system which would always bring me back to the same freeze; looked for patches for hours on the 'net; then I started the game from the beginning all over again; and got to the same spot - the **bleep** "Dig" Freeze! Nothing worked.

After ready to toss this "game of the year", cursing those Naughty Dogs (who had nothing to say about this) what could a poor gamer do? I'd been all over the place looking and saw dozens of forum posters w/ the same problem. And a big one at that. No Answers.

Here's the trick (it's like a puzzle OF, not IN, the game). But the solution is actually OUTSIDE of the game in real time/life... and here's HOW I fixed it...

After the first freeze where you're ducked down w/ the rifle then the game asks you to aim with L1, then you rise up and throw the grenade w/ R2, (or whatever the exact combination is) then it freezes. For all time and you're screwed. Right? No combination of buttons work. So,

>>> GO into the Menu, go to Options, go to Controls, scroll down to Sides and change/Swap the preference setting from L1 to R1 (a different hand!) I think I also went from Normal to Swap for the R2 to the L2. Whatever the specific combo was, do the opposite - Go from Normal to Swap.  Circle back to re-enter the Game.

(After all, it was the 'command' itself that seemed to freeze. Without the sequence it asks for {L1 and R2} the game can't ask the same sequence again! But only once you >Swap those >Sides. It works!)

BOOM! Game unfreezes, you're back in the middle of the fire fight, so you toss a grenade or two from your (now screwed up!) 'swapped' R2 vantage point, and start shooting like crazy! Done.

When you catch your breath, reset the L1  and R2 buttons back to Normal, if you wish. 

(man, did I feel GOOD once I solved this ugly little BUG. Ta Dah!)

"Be yourself, unless you're stupid."
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (2,248 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: Stuck on a glitch in "The Dig" in Uncharted 2 re: grenades. Please Help.

Oct 6, 2012
THANK YOU RACE_LAND. THANK YOU.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (2,141 Views)
0 Likes