Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 17 2010
By: Paddy-X First Son 2 posts

Stuck on the first loading screen (spinning dagger)

10 replies 8127 views Edited Sep 17, 2010

I got Uncharted 2 last week and I've been enjoying it but now it's suddenly stuck on the opening loading spinning dagger screen. I've tried reloading the game, cleaning the disc, fully turning off the PS3 off and on (by the switch), deleting the Uncharted 2 folder in the game utility and it's still stuck. It's very unlikely that it's a problem with the system because I've been playing Super Street Fighter 4 and Demon's Souls in between without any problems at all. I also tested a few other games and they all seem to be working fine. I even tested a bluray movie just to make sure and yup, that plays fine too. I'm really hoping it's some kind of software glitch because the only times the disc was vulnerable was when I was taking it out of the PS3 into it's box and vice versa and I'm very careful with my discs. Also, as good as Uncharted 2 is, I'm not willing to buy it again. Can anybody please help me out here? Also, if it means anything, when I try to quit the game through the XMB it completely resets the console.

Message 1 of 11 (8,127 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

i had this too once  , I have cleaned my disc and close m...

Sep 18, 2010

i had this too once  , I have cleaned my disc and close my ps3 for a moment , and then reloading the game , and it works...easy...

Message 2 of 11 (8,127 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

I already did that and still nothing. This is horrendous,...

Sep 18, 2010

I already did that and still nothing. This is horrendous, it was a brand new sealed copy. What could cause it to suddenly become unplayable like this?

EDIT: Hmm, I deleted Patch v1.09 and disconnected from PSN to prevent installation on startup and everything seems to be working normal now. I'll re-download the patch to see if the patch is the problem.

Message 3 of 11 (8,127 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
78 posts

I've had the same problem.  I deleted the Patch and it wo...

Sep 23, 2010

I've had the same problem.  I deleted the Patch and it worked alright.

The 1.09 patch is the problem. I hope Naughty Dog will release a fix soon.

Message 4 of 11 (8,127 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
868 posts

it start happening to me a lot even when im quiting my ps...

Sep 25, 2010

it start happening to me a lot even when im quiting my ps3 restart  :smileymad:

________________________________________________________________________________

Unnecessary Censorship Episode #1 Uncharted Drake Fortune HERE:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25t3GojA3SI
Message 5 of 11 (8,127 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3874 posts

I used the "delete game data" trick and it work...

Sep 26, 2010
I used the "delete game data" trick and it worked for me. Sadly i lost my cinema files as a result, but it was worth it to get back online.
Message 6 of 11 (8,127 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1202 posts

i had this

Sep 28, 2010

the first time I tried to load the game last night. Worked on restart but was still scary

Message 7 of 11 (8,127 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Having same exact problem save two things. I have Japanes...

Nov 8, 2011

Having same exact problem save two things. I have Japanese PS3 with reverse compatablity as well as a LG 3D HDTV also this my copy was a used purchase from gamestop (no scratches of any kind on the disc though). I tried the delete save data and start with no internet connection and it did it again. Then I tried the update and it when to the "Please Wait" screen and shut down with the beeps. Then I restarted the system and launched the game and it started the update process properlly. Currently waiting on it to download all 9 updates. Will post if it works but then again this is the way I did it on the first load of the game and that didnt work at the time so...

Message 8 of 11 (8,127 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Finished the update and went back to the spinning gold da...

Nov 8, 2011

Finished the update and it immediatly went back to the spinning gold dagger of death. Will try to restart now with no internet connection.

Edit 1: When I tried to turn off the console at this point it did not fully turn off. The Blue light stayed on and the green light was still blinking like it was trying to finish loading the game or something of that nature. I let it go through this process for about 5 mins and it finally turned off

Edit 2: Still didn't work. Went to the dagger and stayed there. Turned it off again and it didn't take as long to fully shut down will now try to start it with internet.

Edit 3: AND IT WENT TO THE DAGGER AGAIN. This is the first technical problem I've had that has so many people having the same exact problem and yet no one has a proper solution or explanation to it. Going to send a message to tech support with all of this. Not like no one else has done this. In fact anyone who has sent a message about this has not heard back so... Will post if I ever get a reply. First time I've felt I needed to ask tech support directly ever. I have a feeling they will tell me that it's because I have a used copy but having experiance with many used games and scratched discs I gaurentee that it is not the problem (not to mention how many people have this problem who had brand new copys that this happened to).

Edit 4: By the way. I'm going to keep the game going overnight.

Message 9 of 11 (8,127 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Finished the update and went back to the spinning gold da...

Jul 9, 2012
Same problem... It's hard to find any posts about this because of the way search engines rank pages.. It's obvious by the symptoms that this game damages hardware if played too long or too much. It's a great game, but apparently not all PS3's are created equal, or some people don't play as long in a single session as others. Add the word overheating to a search for the game title and you'll find more than enough hits to tell you that Sony gave ND permission to release a game that is actually too demanding for their console. I do not have an old fat PS3, I have a 160GB Slim, and I never got to make it all the way though U2, and in fact I only have maybe 40 total hours in the game.... man am I disapointed with ND and Sony for allowing them to release it. Like so many others, my Disc is fine... and will work in another PS3 (but for how long?) which tells me the disc is not the issue here, but how well the hardware survives the demanding content. Do I believe ND or Sony will do anything about this problem? Not a chance.... they already released the next game in the franchise... they don't care about anything but profit and the next big thing. Sony and ND are both businesses and must make profits to survive. I feel very angry that Sony OK'd release of this title that is capable of ruining PS3's.... I am lucky mine still works for netflix (which is no problem because it isn't 3d) and Assassin's Creed for limited time sessions... I used to be able to play AC as long as I felt like playing, but now, just after U2 ruined my console, I can only play about an hour and a half before the console crashes. I can play Splinter Cell: Double Agent about 2 hours before it crashes and shuts down the console... I can do anything 2 dimensional as long as I please without issue. Even the game "flOw" will play indefinitely. This leads me to believe it is the GPU that is at fault here. Maybe faulty thermal compound? I don't know the root cause, but I know I will not buy another PS3 and risk playing U2... I'll just stick to PC games where if I have a problem with a GPU I can replace it myself. I don't feel I should have to PAY Sony to repair MY PS3 because a game THEY put on the market damaged MY PS3. There is no warning on the box or manual for the game about it damaging my system or that I should limit the length of time I play it... if there was, I would accept the blame for the damage. I have to wait several days of doing other things to be able to even play a few minutes, and where I am in the game will likely take more time than the console can withstand to escape alive. I can pretty much write off finishing this game because of this. For the record, I live in a desert in the SW of the USA, and because of that I also live in a sealed and air conditioned house that is kept perpetually 72 degrees F. Ambient temperatures had nothing to do with this damaging of my PS3. I might try an X360, I don't like their controllers (or any MS controller so far) but at least I have never had one of their consoles break because of a game. I do like the PS Consoles more, but I won't stand for a company that will release damaging software and not fix the damages. (There should be a list of games that are more likely than average to damage PS3's) I would really respect Sony if they were honest and admitted their mistake. Good luck... as I said, with U3 out we won't see any fix for this problem... I'd take a patch that allowed me to lower graphics details over not being able to use my PS3 any day. I am fairly certain if I keep playing U2, it WILL fully kill my PS3 eventually. Oh well, at least I contributed to Sony's list of unhappy players of Uncharted 2.... The game is great, other than the damage it does. Eric W
Message 10 of 11 (8,086 Views)
0 Likes