Treasure Hunter
6514 posts

Re: 2300 kills, 0 deaths - player insists stats are legit, lol

Jun 5, 2013
Not sure if serious, tap. Read the Terms of Service and you'll find it spelled out legally.

@stunt How is wanting to wear different character clothes a "more serious note" than the legality of game sharing?
Message 91 of 117 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

[ Edited ]
last month

Message 92 of 117 (306 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 5, 2013

neverbelow wrote:
Not sure if serious, tap. Read the Terms of Service and you'll find it spelled out legally.

Do you know who Jack Tretton is?

I know the legalese very well, but I also know that Sony is very "lenient" for some reason...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 93 of 117 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6514 posts

Jun 5, 2013
They could easily win a lawsuit against you or a criminal case if you violated the terms of service and game shared to an improper source. It just wouldn't be worth their time or public approval rating. That's why they don't ever pursue it. Cherry Rhode showing an uninformed opinion that is typical of the public.
Message 94 of 117 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6514 posts

Jun 5, 2013
That was 6 years ago when he said that at a time when Sony was trying to sell a struggling and expensive console. Look at the updated ToS and it will spell it out for you. They're lenient for the reasons stated in my last comment.
Message 95 of 117 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 5, 2013

Sony can ban you for many reasons, not just gamesharing:

1) Teamkilling

2) Sharing a PSN account to boost stats

3) Verbal trashtalking
4) Impersonating Sony employees

If they really wanted to enforce these rules in a draconian manner, I can guarantee you that 99% of the player pool would have been banned already.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 96 of 117 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

[ Edited ]
last month

Message 97 of 117 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6514 posts

Jun 5, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Sony can ban you for many reasons, not just gamesharing:

1) Teamkilling

2) Sharing a PSN account to boost stats

3) Verbal trashtalking
4) Impersonating Sony employees

If they really wanted to enforce these rules in a draconian manner, I can guarantee you that 99% of the player pool would have been banned already.

I'm not talking a ban. I'm talking about legal action. I'm also talking about the US because, 1, it's the biggest market for games by far, and 2, because I can't account for the laws of every **bleep** country in the world. Also, they would want to set a precident in the market they make their most money from and that's the US. They won't because of public disapprovable and marketability being hurt.

Message 98 of 117 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6514 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 5, 2013

Cherry_Ronde wrote:

neverbelow wrote:
They could easily win a lawsuit against you or a criminal case if you violated the terms of service and game shared to an improper source. It just wouldn't be worth their time or public approval rating. That's why they don't ever pursue it. Cherry Rhode showing an uninformed opinion that is typical of the public.

Who's being uninformed here? I'm sure they could convince a judge somewhere, but most EULAs are invalid in many European countries. EULAs are not enforcable in Germany for example unless you agree to the terms before making the purchase. There have been many court cases with conflicting verdicts so it's not so clear cut as you make it out to be. Either way, Sony is never going to bring anyone into court over this like you wrote so it's a pointless discussion.

Yeah we can't take into account every legal system in the world. See above comment. I bet you if the German market was bigger and they wanted to make a legal precident they could pay enough high priced lawyers to work around any legal loopholes to set a precident in that market. It's not worth the money to them for reasons stated above. In the US they could easily get a ruling in their favor if they wanted to invest the assets needed.

Message 99 of 117 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 5, 2013

Actually, Europe is the biggest game market for Sony*, not to mention the fact that more PS3 consoles have been sold in Europe** (US has more XBOX360 consoles though, I'll give you that), but that's besides the point.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Sony-Financial-Results,news-28240.html
** http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

Also, don't forget class action lawsuits. Companies cannot always bend the law towards their favor.

Message 100 of 117 (251 Views)
0 Likes