Highlighted
Apr 19 2011
By: pro_ballin2132 Hekseville Citizen 368 posts

A Defense for Change

4 replies 53 views Edited Apr 19, 2011

There have been a lot of complaints on this forum about the new information on Uncharted 3 multiplayer. I'm not saying complaining is bad as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That being said, I am also entitled to my opinion. I'm not going to rage or otherwise attempt to insult complainers, but I am going to make my case as to why the people mad about the changes  being made to Uncharted multiplayer are quite frankly... wrong. 

Let me start by saying this: I consider myself a die hard Uncharted fan. I was playing Uncharted 2's multiplayer as soon as I could with the beta in summer of '09. I eventually quit playing due to the 1.05 update and have just recently started to jump back in a little bit. Originally, I thought I agreed with all the naysayers here. Uncharted 2's multi was my favorite of all time for countless reasons. I just wanted a "fixed" version of the game. No lag, better balance, etc., etc. When I first saw the post on here with the leaked G4tv info that reported a sprint button along with medal kickbacks, I was rather disappointed.

The more I thought about it over the weekend, though, the more I warmed up to the fact that these changes could be a good thing. For one, the sprint could solve the problem I had with U2 changing to a higher bullet damage model. Sprint would allow me to get in to cover faster if, for instance, I was being shot from my blind side. And that was one thing I loved about the original damage model in U2: the person that shot first didn't necessarily get the kill; it took skill to emerge the winner of a gunfight.

Then came Monday and with it a massive amount of new U3 info along with a multiplayer trailer and various interviews and short clips of gameplay. All of my doubts from the weekend soon disappeared. The game looks awesome! There are sooo many good ideas, some very unique and, as some people on these forums have pointed out over and over, some not so unique. But, to me, all of them were great additions. They all serve to add layers of depth to the multiplayer that were otherwise nonexistent in Uncharted 2. As much as I loved Uncharted 2, the ranking systems and available unlockables were all underwhelming. The single greatest aspect of these additions though is that they add more fun, fresh ideas and depth to the multiplayer without sacrificing any of the core gameplay mechanics of what made Uncharted 2 so great. (I'll get more in to that point in just a moment.)

Now I want to take the two most mentioned complaints from these forums and provide a rebuttal to each.

To those of you saying, "Uncharted is becoming too much like COD!"

You all are right that Uncharted 3 has obviously borrowed more than one idea from COD. Yes, there are weapon customizations/modifications in COD. Yes, medal kickbacks are similar to the infamous killstreaks. Yes, the boosters are basically Uncharted's version of perks. BUT these additions don't make the game play any more like COD. As stated by EVERY journalist who attended Naughty Dog's event, the game still looks, feels, and plays like Uncharted 2. (I even saw in the G4tv article that "players are still bullet sponges somewhat", which, to me, is great news.) Yes, there are weapon loadouts, but, just like the AK vs. FAL in Uncharted 2, I'm sure all of the rifles you can start with will be very well balanced. While one might be powerful and inaccurate (AK), the other is not as powerful but extremely accurate (FAL). There are mods that give your weapons more accuracy, a higher rate of fire (with no doubt a hit to your accuracy), or more ammo, but how are any of those really that much different from boosters in Uncharted 2 such as Down the Irons, Bandoleer, or keep firing? The medal Kickbacks are most definitely not killstreak clones. For one thing, you earn medals by any number of things, not just killing. Also, it has nothing to do with consecutive kills, so camping won't be an issue because of this new feature. Furthermore, all of you have seen the list of kickbacks, and none of them are too powerful. Its not like an AC130 or anything of that nature. The only kickback I have seen that seems like anything remotely like that is the RPG and that takes 14 medals. I don't usually get more than 7 or 8 in a DM of U2 so we won't be seeing that much at all anyways. Bottom line is what I said earlier, the core gameplay will not change because of these additions. In this respect, Naughty Dog has accomplished what they wanted to. They have added fresh new ideas to their multiplayer that  keeps it exciting and keeps people playing because there are actually meaningful things to unlock. 

To those of you who are saying, "Why change what isn't broken?"

This is a much easier point to shoot down. Simply because you are being completely unrealistic. If Naughty Dog took the advice of the "diehard" on the this forum Uncharted 3 would never be successful. The journalists would be screaming "Uncharted 2.5!" at the top of their lungs, and the only people who would be happy with a "fixed" Uncharted 2 would be the people who requested it on these forums. In today's market, games are expected to innovate. This is a fine line that developers must walk: they must bring fresh new ideas to the table without alienating their true fans. From the looks of this new U3 info and the evidence provided by the words of the journalist who attended the event, it seems like Naughty Dog is pulling this off masterfully. Well except for the stubborn and ignorant fans who make this complaint; obviously Naughty Dog can't realistically please them. 

On one more point, no one here seems to care about the awesome new and completely unique ideas that Naughty Dog has brought to the multiplayer. The idea of over time and sudden death sounds really cool to me, and the power play could be interesting as well. The airstrip map sounds freaking amazing (I can't wait for that set piece in the single player), and I love how they are incorporating more cinematic elements in to the maps and gameplay. The buddy system sounds awesome as well, although the details on how that works seem a bit fuzzy to me. Anyways...

Let me finish by saying again that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Naughty Dog, you will just have to be content in the fact that you can't please everyone, and I think you have already learned that those complaining in these forums are definitely the minority. Thanks to whoever read all of this as I know it was rather long. Please, everyone feel free to argue all you want against me by replying. 

Message 1 of 5 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4541 posts

Its not really a case of "why change whats not broke...

Apr 19, 2011
Its not really a case of "why change whats not broken", and more of "why throw out the working bits and replace them with broken parts".

Yes, im pessimistic, and I hope its totally unfounded, but the simplicity , realism (eg no teleporting!), and skill to win seems to have been left behind. Really hope im wrong.....
Message 2 of 5 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

Thank you for making and intelligent and long case to cou...

Apr 19, 2011

Thank you for making and intelligent and long case to counter those people not liking a lot of the new features. (like me) I disagree with you and your point that this isnt changing the core gameplay though. For one weapon damage has a HUGE effect on gameplay and I could write pages on the effects of it.  Weapon mods, kickbacks, and sprint also have a huge effect on gameplay. Weapon loadouts as opposed to weapon spawns greatly change the traffic of a multiplayer match. With weapon spawns people move more to aquire better weapons and map control becomes more important while camping becoming somewhat less effective. Kickbacks while not completely apparent to what level will effect how people play the game, and it definitely can encourage camping or people not helping the team depending how it is emplemented. To be fair it could also swing the other way, and cause people to help the team more. Sprint also significantly changes gameplay too, and with how bad melee was already this could make it even worse.

So all in all many of their new mechanics can or will greatly effect gameplay. As for journalists, well they are usually the less skilled people that play a game for a week and move on. I listen to many podcasts and read many gaming sites, and 98% of the time their MP views align with that of someone who plays CoD.

I will agree with you on a few things though, I am excited about a few things but also scared, because it will all be about how it is implemented into the game.

Message 3 of 5 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
368 posts

Well in regard to the realism, let's face it, the Unchart...

Apr 19, 2011

monkeybutler100 wrote:
Its not really a case of "why change whats not broken", and more of "why throw out the working bits and replace them with broken parts".

Yes, im pessimistic, and I hope its totally unfounded, but the simplicity , realism (eg no teleporting!), and skill to win seems to have been left behind. Really hope im wrong.....

Well in regard to the realism, let's face it, the Uncharted franchise has never really been about utmost realism. It is completely impossible to leap from ledge to ledge like Drake lol. And I don't know of any human who can take half a clip of AK and survive.

In regard to the "no skill to win", how can you claim this? LIke I said before, the core gameplay that takes the utmost skill to succeed is still present. ONE-time use items such a teleport doesn't change that. Besides, doesn't it take skill to get that one-time reward? It isn't like COD where you can camp your heart out to get your pave low...

Message 4 of 5 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
368 posts

good points...

Apr 19, 2011

Pdizzle_9 wrote:

Thank you for making and intelligent and long case to counter those people not liking a lot of the new features. (like me) I disagree with you and your point that this isnt changing the core gameplay though. For one weapon damage has a HUGE effect on gameplay and I could write pages on the effects of it.  Weapon mods, kickbacks, and sprint also have a huge effect on gameplay. Weapon loadouts as opposed to weapon spawns greatly change the traffic of a multiplayer match. With weapon spawns people move more to aquire better weapons and map control becomes more important while camping becoming somewhat less effective. Kickbacks while not completely apparent to what level will effect how people play the game, and it definitely can encourage camping or people not helping the team depending how it is emplemented. To be fair it could also swing the other way, and cause people to help the team more. Sprint also significantly changes gameplay too, and with how bad melee was already this could make it even worse.

So all in all many of their new mechanics can or will greatly effect gameplay. As for journalists, well they are usually the less skilled people that play a game for a week and move on. I listen to many podcasts and read many gaming sites, and 98% of the time their MP views align with that of someone who plays CoD.

I will agree with you on a few things though, I am excited about a few things but also scared, because it will all be about how it is implemented into the game.

You make some excellent points. I agree that the proper implementation is critical here. However, I do want to make a few points.

I don't think the weapon mods will change weapon damage any more than say, down the irons does in U2. I think we can all have the faith in Naughty Dog to balance these quite nicely.

It has been confirmed that power weapons will still be spawning on the map. If you want proof of how I know that, just ask. 

In regard to your point about kickbacks, camping isn't very effective at all in U2 and with a very, very similar damage model coming back for U3, I don't think it will be effective here either. 

I don't think we can make any valid points on sprint until we see how it effects the game. 

Message 5 of 5 (53 Views)
0 Likes