Highlighted
Feb 27 2013
By: tack129 Treasure Hunter 4883 posts

Ads in its current form make F2P borderline unplayable

[ Edited ]
23 replies 1734 views Edited Mar 1, 2013

Ok first of all I just want to say that I did not download the F2P version but I have heard of accounts from people whom do. I am expressing an issue that has yet to be fully addressed.

Ads, I can accept them being in F2P. Heck I don't mind that. The way they are presented however are very problematic. Almost to the point of gamebreaking.

So what do the ads do in F2P?

They pop up whenever you are on the menu screen after you connect to the MP or after finishing a match. Think of Uncharted TV except in full screen, unmute and unskippable. Basically very obnoxious. These ads range from vita games, Uncharted games to heck even other things.

What is the problem with them?

The problem isn't that they exist, for a F2P version it's fine since it's a way for ND to recoup cost. It's how the ads were handled that is a huge problem. The aim for the F2P is to bring in more people to come try out the game, if they like it they can buy stuff for the game or heck even buy the full game and join everyone else.
The ads are done in a way that is considered obnoxious and potentially gamebreaking to F2P users. It's fine if you are connecting to the MP but when you enter a match, exiting a match or whenever you hit a menu screen, you hit an ad. This is considered very annoying. For example, if a player wants to exit out of matchmaking and he hits an ad, he cannot do so until the ad has finished. By the time it has finished he could potentially be thrown into another match against his will. If it keeps happening the only way to exit out is to quit the game via the XMB or turning off the PS3.

Another problem with it is that some countries have bandwidth caps. For a game to stream in so many ads would make people exceed their caps and cause further problems.

Why should we care about this more than the micro-transactions?
We need to let ND and Sony know that this is not how you run a F2P model in terms of ads for future F2P projects. The way the ads are presented are not how conventional F2P games run. You need to make the ads not be intrusive and not drive away people. In its current stage it is definitely going to drive away potential new players, not bring them in. Especially if they don't know that there are no ads in the GOTY/retail versions of the game.

This means there won't be a buff in the player pool. It would make people force themselves to get a retail copy of the game or buy the GOTY edition from the PS Store (which is cheaper than the F2P version funny enough)

What should ND and I do about it?
Honestly I don't know which is why I need you guys to help give ideas on how ND could implement this system better in the future or heck even just saying "We don't want ads in the F2P version"

ND should at least make a mention about the ads and that the removal of ads is a feature in the GOTY/Retail games.

If ND wants to implement ads I suggest you only run an ad when the user connects to the MP, not whenever they enter a menu screen or exit out of a match. That is all I can suggest.

Suggestions made by community members:

"I got an idea. why not just have the adds put in front of the loading screen when starting the game and exiting matches? Heck, I'd rather get "add of death" then get "ring of death", am I right? I mean at least it would be somewhat more ammusing. And they could put an add on UTV as a "commercial break" after a coupple videos (3-5)" - rengle598

How to get rid of the ads:

There is a way to get rid of the ads but it requires buying specific packs.
You must either one of the following packs below to get rid of them.

Eric-ND wrote:

tack129 wrote:

Eric-ND wrote:

tack129 wrote:

What packs do you have to buy to get rid of the ads?

Single Player

Level Cap Removed

DLC Packs

Co-Op Adventure 

Basically anything over $9.99 that's a core component. 

Ok so anything over $10 will get rid of ads. Do you have to buy them all or only one of them?

It's got to be a core component. Only one. 

That is all I want to say regarding it. If you have any ideas on how this could be better or any other problems with this system definitely post about it. ND needs to know about this even if they don't do anything about it.

Message 1 of 24 (1,734 Views)
Survivor
2224 posts

Re: Ads in its current form make F2P borderline unplayable

Feb 27, 2013

tack129 wrote:

Ok first of all I just want to say that I did not download the F2P version but I have heard of accounts from people whom do. I am expressing an issue that has yet to be fully addressed.

Ads, I can accept them being in F2P. Heck I don't mind that. The way they are presented however are very problematic. Almost to the point of gamebreaking.

So what do the ads do in F2P?

They pop up whenever you are on the menu screen after you connect to the MP or after finishing a match. Think of Uncharted TV except in full screen, unmute and unskippable. Basically very obnoxious. These ads range from vita games, Uncharted games to heck even other things.

What is the problem with them?

The problem isn't that they exist, for a F2P version it's fine since it's a way for ND to recoup cost. It's how the ads were handled that is a huge problem. The aim for the F2P is to bring in more people to come try out the game, if they like it they can buy stuff for the game or heck even buy the full game and join everyone else.
The ads are done in a way that is considered obnoxious and potentially gamebreaking to F2P users. It's fine if you are connecting to the MP but when you enter a match, exiting a match or whenever you hit a menu screen, you hit an ad. This is considered very annoying. For example, if a player wants to exit out of matchmaking and he hits an ad, he cannot do so until the ad has finished. By the time it has finished he could potentially be thrown into another match against his will. If it keeps happening the only way to exit out is to quit the game via the XMB or turning off the PS3.

Another problem with it is that some countries have bandwidth caps. For a game to stream in so many ads would make people exceed their caps and cause further problems.

Why should we care about this more than the micro-transactions?
We need to let ND and Sony know that this is not how you run a F2P model in terms of ads for future F2P projects. The way the ads are presented are not how conventional F2P games run. You need to make the ads not be intrusive and not drive away people. In its current stage it is definitely going to drive away potential new players, not bring them in. Especially if they don't know that there are no ads in the GOTY/retail versions of the game.

This means there won't be a buff in the player pool. It would make people force themselves to get a retail copy of the game or buy the GOTY edition from the PS Store (which is cheaper than the F2P version funny enough)

What should ND and I do about it?
Honestly I don't know which is why I need you guys to help give ideas on how ND could implement this system better in the future or heck even just saying "We don't want ads in the F2P version"

ND should at least make a mention about the ads and that the removal of ads is a feature in the GOTY/Retail games.

If ND wants to implement ads I suggest you only run an ad when the user connects to the MP, not whenever they enter a menu screen or exit out of a match. That is all I can suggest.

That is all I want to say regarding it. If you have any ideas on how this could be better or any other problems with this system definitely post about it. ND needs to know about this even if they don't do anything about it.

They failed at F2P already, and it's the first day of release. They are doing so many things wrong.

Message 2 of 24 (1,727 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3721 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2013

It wouldn't be an ND patch without it's classic problems. 2 steps forward 16 steps back.

I was hoping by now lessons would be learned. I sincerely hope ALL the ND staff as well as the Sony staff involved with ND sit back and review everything (good and bad) about Uncharted 3.

It's is of paramount of importance that this reviews takes place, call it a staff meeting if you will.

Lessons MUST be learned, not just about TDM but EVERY mode including the campaign, marketing and EVERY minute detail.

Message 3 of 24 (1,713 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6314 posts

Feb 27, 2013

well...at least they didn't mess up colors...I was expecting 15 extra browns...

photo Sniper.png
Message 4 of 24 (1,590 Views)
Sackboy
496 posts

Feb 27, 2013

Wow...  Forget that crap.  I was going to ask if it was possible to download the F2P content so my PS3 doesn't have to spin the blu ray drive (basically, I would start the game via the PS3 disc and then have it run off the HD, much like how the 360 handles cached games) so much but no way I'm dealing with any of those obnouxious problems.

Message 5 of 24 (1,457 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2043 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 27, 2013

Thanks for the warning. I can't say im surprised that ND did somthing like this.

EminentFury= GOAT Debater/intellectual Conservative.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34gau1c.jpg

Message 6 of 24 (1,448 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Feb 27, 2013

Thanks for posting this tack. For someone who didn't download the F2P your post was extremely informative and you perfectly highlighted all the issues with the ads. My question is, if I buy the complete MP will that get rid of the ads? I did enjoy running the game off my HDD instead of the Blu-ray drive.

Message 7 of 24 (1,432 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
631 posts

Feb 27, 2013
Another ND fiasco!
I love their games but they keep doing stupid things.
Message 8 of 24 (1,371 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6261 posts

Feb 27, 2013

ND has yet another double standard. They keep saying how they need to charge for this, that, and the other thing but then they put in ads as well??? They wouldn't put in the ads unless they're getting some kind of compensation, so that means that even before people buy any of the microtransactions ND is already making money off of F2P players. 

I love how their excuse (or at least arne's) was that if they started making too much stuff free they'd start running in the red, and yet they have a million different microtransaction that have already been out on an already $60 dollar game, as well as a ton of money on map packs, and on top of that they now have the "F2P" which charges for literally everything and also has ads that generate more money for them. So according to arne they needed to make money in all those ways to not run in the red, and yet games like Resistance 2 release all their DLC for free after a year and then continue to keep their servers up for 60 player matches with less lag than uncharted while not needing anything like microtransactions or a "F2P" with advertisements that you're forced to watch. Even free iPhone apps let you exit out of their ads after about 5 seconds even if the ad isn't over.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/jfdnnp.jpg

Message 9 of 24 (1,283 Views)
Fender Bender
2770 posts

Feb 27, 2013
Naughty Dog has lost their way they must feel proud of what they have become, GOW : Ascension can't come sooner Santa Monica needs to give ND their manual in how to stay humble devs even when you have achieved critical & commercial success.

The minute you start taking your loyal fans for granted is when is the beginning of end just ask Capcom & Square .. Final Fantasy / Resident Evil, Devil May Cry all great franchises have suffered in sales because of greed, it's sucks to see what ND has become.
Message 10 of 24 (1,252 Views)