Fender Bender
2856 posts

Re: An Interview with Eric Monacelli: Part 2

Sep 12, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

xINESCAPABLEx wrote:

I never liked GTA. If I want to drive a stolen car and kill 3 prostitutes on the sidewalk I can just drive a car into my school. Anyway, I believe the Anniversary will be another little show like Eye of Indra. I mean Eric is giving this idea A LOT more enthuasism than a lot of his other 'surprises'. Either he's really overselling this thing or it could be pretty awesome.

Or... only just thought of this now. "Sony needs to sign off on it."

Could it be something to do with the signing of Uncharted 4?

With that logic, what's the point of playing any games? Why play Gran Turismo, when you can just participate in races in real life? Why play Uncharted, when you can search for treasure in mythical cities in real life? GTA has a fantastic sense of humour and great characters. Minus Roman Bellic.

in my opinion GTA has a horrible sense of humor, I hate the atmosphere and the story and characters, and I hate the over the top violence and sexual content, I just read the ESRB from GTA5, seriously, what are those guys at rockstar thinking...

besides, the gameplay is boring to me, I prefer open world games like assassin's creed or infamous, in which traversal is important, not just mindlessly shooting stuff, that's boring to me...

Yet you like UC3 which is just mindlessly shooting stuff.

GTA has more to offer than just mindless killing you guys either have never played a GTA game or you only bought GTA to do mindless killing.

is it? last time I checked Uncharted is an action/adventure, and I hardly use guns (even in multiplayer, I mostly am just stealthing my way around, shooting guns is boring to me), and in the story, I always use stealth and melee, except on crushing of course I had to shoot once in a while, and not to mention all the epic set pieces and the climbing and puzzles, Uncharted is not a shooter at all...

Message 31 of 84 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 17, 2013

Solid---Steak wrote:

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33073&Title=Grand%20Theft%20Auto%20V

What do you mean by "what are they thinking"?

In this open-world action game, players assume the role of three criminals whose storylines intersect within the fictional city of Los Santos. Players can switch between each character to follow his storyline, completing missions which often include criminal activities (e.g., stealing cars, executing heists, assassinating targets). Players use pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles, and explosives to kill various enemies (e.g., rival gang members); players also have the ability to shoot non-adversary civilians, though this may negatively affect players' progress as a penalty system triggers a broad police search. Blood-splatter effects occur frequently, and the game contains rare depictions of dismemberment. In one sequence, players are directed to use various instruments and means to extract information from a character; the sequence is intense and prolonged, and it involves some player interaction (i.e., responding to on-screen prompts). The game includes depictions of sexual material/activity: implied fellatio and masturbation; various sex acts that the player's character procures from a prostitute—while no nudity is depicted in these sequences, various sexual moaning sounds can be heard. Nudity is present, however, primarily in two settings: a topless lap dance in a strip club and a location that includes male cult members with exposed genitalia in a non-sexual context. Within the game, TV programs and radio ads contain instances of mature humor: myriad sex jokes; depictions of raw sewage and feces on a worker's body; a brief instance of necrophilia (no nudity is depicted). Some sequences within the larger game allow players to use narcotics (e.g., smoking from a bong, lighting a marijuana joint); cocaine use is also depicted. Players' character can, at various times, consume alcohol and drive while under the influence. The words “****,” “****,” and “******” can be heard in the dialogue

the part in red is disgusting, seriously, if you want to play that you're a dirty 12 year old, for me such things are enough to not buy a game, even if the game was awesome, such things are enough for me to say: **bleep** you developer, grow up...

Edit: profanity

Message 32 of 84 (210 Views)
Fender Bender
2448 posts

Sep 12, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

xINESCAPABLEx wrote:

I never liked GTA. If I want to drive a stolen car and kill 3 prostitutes on the sidewalk I can just drive a car into my school. Anyway, I believe the Anniversary will be another little show like Eye of Indra. I mean Eric is giving this idea A LOT more enthuasism than a lot of his other 'surprises'. Either he's really overselling this thing or it could be pretty awesome.

With that logic, what's the point of playing any games? Why play Gran Turismo, when you can just participate in races in real life? Why play Uncharted, when you can search for treasure in mythical cities in real life? GTA has a fantastic sense of humour and great characters. Minus Roman Bellic.

in my opinion GTA has a horrible sense of humor, I hate the atmosphere and the story and characters, and I hate the over the top violence and sexual content, I just read the ESRB from GTA5, seriously, what are those guys at rockstar thinking...

besides, the gameplay is boring to me, I prefer open world games like assassin's creed or infamous, in which traversal is important, not just mindlessly shooting stuff, that's boring to me...

GTA has more to offer than just mindless killing you guys either have never played a GTA game or you only bought GTA to do mindless killing.

is it? last time I checked Uncharted is an action/adventure, and I hardly use guns (even in multiplayer, I mostly am just stealthing my way around, shooting guns is boring to me), and in the story, I always use stealth and melee, except on crushing of course I had to shoot once in a while, and not to mention all the epic set pieces and the climbing and puzzles, Uncharted is not a shooter at all...

yes at its core Uncharted is about mindless killing & there's no going around this. To say Uncharted is not a shooter is simply delusional. GTA has a main story & it's not all about mindless killing or running overprostitutes. Some missions aren't even about killing. It offers tons of side quests, mini games that doesn't involve killing, you actually get punished for killing outside of missions lol. 

I understand GTA may not appeal to you but don't call it out for things that are also present in games you sing praises for.

Message 33 of 84 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2448 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 17, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33073&Title=Grand%20Theft%20Auto%20V

In this open-world action game, players assume the role of three criminals whose storylines intersect within the fictional city of Los Santos. Players can switch between each character to follow his storyline, completing missions which often include criminal activities (e.g., stealing cars, executing heists, assassinating targets). Players use pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles, and explosives to kill various enemies (e.g., rival gang members); players also have the ability to shoot non-adversary civilians, though this may negatively affect players' progress as a penalty system triggers a broad police search. Blood-splatter effects occur frequently, and the game contains rare depictions of dismemberment. In one sequence, players are directed to use various instruments and means to extract information from a character; the sequence is intense and prolonged, and it involves some player interaction (i.e., responding to on-screen prompts). The game includes depictions of sexual material/activity: implied fellatio and masturbation; various sex acts that the player's character procures from a prostitute—while no nudity is depicted in these sequences, various sexual moaning sounds can be heard. Nudity is present, however, primarily in two settings: a topless lap dance in a strip club and a location that includes male cult members with exposed genitalia in a non-sexual context. Within the game, TV programs and radio ads contain instances of mature humor: myriad sex jokes; depictions of raw sewage and feces on a worker's body; a brief instance of necrophilia (no nudity is depicted). Some sequences within the larger game allow players to use narcotics (e.g., smoking from a bong, lighting a marijuana joint); cocaine use is also depicted. Players' character can, at various times, consume alcohol and drive while under the influence. The words “****,” “****,” and “******” can be heard in the dialogue

the part in red is disgusting, seriously, if you want to play that you're a dirty 12 year old, for me such things are enough to not buy a game, even if the game was awesome, such things are enough for me to say: **bleep** you developer, grow up...

So it's okay in movies but not in games??. And gamers who enjoy mature content in a game rated 18+ are dirty minded & the developers need to grow up?? oh Okay then.

Message 34 of 84 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 17, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

So it's okay in movies but not in games??. And gamers who enjoy mature content in a game rated 18+ are dirty minded & the developers need to grow up?? oh Okay then.

I don't appreciate it if it's in movies either, and yes, I think sexual content in any game or movie is pathetic, it does nothing to make the story better, and it's just in there for the dirty guys, it's totally disgusting...

Message 35 of 84 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Sep 12, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

xINESCAPABLEx wrote:

yes at its core Uncharted is about mindless killing & there's no going around this. To say Uncharted is not a shooter is simply delusional. GTA has a main story & it's not all about mindless killing or running overprostitutes. Some missions aren't even about killing. It offers tons of side quests, mini games that doesn't involve killing, you actually get punished for killing outside of missions lol. 

I understand GTA may not appeal to you but don't call it out for things that are also present in games you sing praises for.

saying Uncharted is at it's core a shooting game and GTA isn't is delusional :/

and I wasn't the guy he said that shooting and driving over prostitutes was the main objective in GTA, that was someone else who said that, but GTA's gameplay is just shooting, there is no climbing involved, no solving puzzles, let's take a look at the chapters of Uncharted 3 shall we, so I can show you why Uncharted isn't a shooter:

Spoiler

1 another round (no shooting at all)

2 greatness from small beginnings (no shooting at all)

3 second story work (no shooting at all)

4 run to ground (a stealth section)

5 london underground (second half of the chapter you can kill a bunch of enemies with guns)

6 the chateau (alternating between combat and climbing/puzzlesolving)

7 stay in the light (no shooting at all until near the ending when you escape the burning chateau)

8 the citadel (a stealth section with one sequence where you get spotted right away and have to fight the bad guys)

9 the middle way (no shooting at all)

10 historical research (no shooting at all)

11 as above, so below (mostly climbing and puzzlesolving, only a small section in the middle requires fighting)

12 abducted (a stealth section mostly, but there is also plenty of combat)

13 rough seas (first half is stealth, second half is combat)

14 cruisin' for a bruisin' (mostly stealth and climbing around the ship, but a lengthy combat scene in the middle)

15 sink or swim (only some combat in the beginning during a big set piece, but the rest is escaping the ship)

16 one shot at this (a stealth section)

17 stowaway (an awesome set piece chapter, you only shoot 5 or so baddies)

18 the rub' al khali (no shooting at all)

19 the settlement (a chapter heavily focused on combat)

20 caravan (fighting your way throught a bunch of driving trucks while riding a horse, not really mindless shooting)

21 the atlantis of the sands (half climbing/puzzlesolving and half shooting stuff)

22 the dreamers of the day (a lot of shooting, but also climbing and hand to hand combat)

so 12/22 chapters have (almost) no shooting at all, 9/22 chapters alternate between combat and climbing/puzzlesolving and only 1/22 chapters does have combat only, which is the settlement, and even in that chapter you can still use melee combat instead, because shooting guns is just one way of attacking bad guys, if you say that Uncharted is a shooter instead of an action/adventure, I really consider you being dumb...

Message 36 of 84 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2448 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 17, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

I don't appreciate it if it's in movies either, and yes, I think sexual content in any game or movie is pathetic, it does nothing to make the story better, and it's just in there for the dirty guys, it's totally disgusting...

lol ok I won't pursue this discussion any further. Each to his own.

Message 37 of 84 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2276 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 17, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

that's not true all of the time, of course if there is a part in a strip club that is meant for the "dirty guys" or as commly referred to as "men" :smileywink: ... anyways it is rare in games (especially not GTA i'd assume) but in movies they are times where the sex scene enhances the movie; not becuase of "hey, look **bleep** :smileysurprised:" but to further stregthen the relationship between characters, and character development / character relationships can be a huge role in stories

i just find it odd that you say mature content is for kids ... because that's what the developers really put it in there for, right?: "we need to appeal to the younger generation in our next game, how do we do that? ... I GOT IT, lets put a whole bunch of nude and sex scenes in there!" "excellent idea" ...

the simple fact is that sex sells, it's not just in GTA or in movies, but everywhere, if you don't want to see it than move to the himalayas or somewhere else isolated from the rest of the world ....

Message 38 of 84 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2448 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 12, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

xINESCAPABLEx wrote:

and I wasn't the guy he said that shooting and driving over prostitutes was the main objective in GTA, that was someone else who said that, but GTA's gameplay is just shooting, there is no climbing involved, no solving puzzles, let's take a look at the chapters of Uncharted 3 shall we, so I can show you why Uncharted isn't a shooter:

Spoiler

5 london underground (second half of the chapter you can kill a bunch of enemies with guns)

7 stay in the light (no shooting at all until near the ending when you escape the burning chateau)

8 the citadel (a stealth section with one sequence where you get spotted right away and have to fight the bad guys)

11 as above, so below (mostly climbing and puzzlesolving, only a small section in the middle requires fighting)

14 cruisin' for a bruisin' (mostly stealth and climbing around the ship, but a lengthy combat scene in the middle)

15 sink or swim (only some combat in the beginning during a big set piece, but the rest is escaping the ship)

20 caravan (fighting your way throught a bunch of driving trucks while riding a horse, not really mindless shooting)

21 the atlantis of the sands (half climbing/puzzlesolving and half shooting stuff)

22 the dreamers of the day (a lot of shooting, but also climbing and hand to hand combat)

so 12/22 chapters have (almost) no shooting at all, 9/22 chapters alternate between combat and climbing/puzzlesolving and only 1/22 chapters does have combat only, which is the settlement, and even in that chapter you can still use melee combat instead, because shooting guns is just one way of attacking bad guys, if you say that Uncharted is a shooter instead of an action/adventure, I really consider you being dumb...

Except I never once stated GTA wasn't a shooter, please don't make things up to fill a void in your argument. :smileyhappy:

Uncharted 1, 2 & 3 are all shooters that's the main way of killing the enemies. Uncharted is an Action Adventure game incase you failed to remember that's simply a genre & not an actual type of game play. It's a shooter with stealth & basic combat elements incorporated into it, that includes exploration hence it falls under 'Action/Adventure. Infamous, Assassins Creed, Batman are all Action Adventures yet they play completely different to Uncharted & each other.

So thanks for the compliment oh smart one who doesn't know the difference between game play & Genre. :smileyhappy:

Message 39 of 84 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Sep 12, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

xINESCAPABLEx wrote:

Spoiler

Except I never once stated GTA wasn't a shooter, please don't make things up to fill a void in your argument. :smileyhappy:

Uncharted 1, 2 & 3 are all shooters that's the main way of killing the enemies. Uncharted is an Action Adventure game incase you failed to remember that's simply a genre & not an actual type of game play. It's a shooter with stealth & basic combat elements incorporated into it, that includes exploration hence it falls under 'Action/Adventure. Infamous, Assassins Creed, Batman are all Action Adventures yet they play completely different to Uncharted & each other.

So thanks for the compliment oh smart one who doesn't know the difference between game play & Genre. :smileyhappy:

yes, but you said that the gameplay is all about mindlessly shooting bad guys, and if you look at my little list of chapters you can see that that's not true at all...

and in GTA the main gameplay element is shooting stuff, you're not going to convince me that all those pointless mini-games are what you are playing the game for, right, while I hope that you can see that people play Uncharted for the awesome story, the climbing and puzzles solving and awesome set pieces, people don't play Uncharted because they enjoy shooting stuff...

Message 40 of 84 (173 Views)
0 Likes