Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
3587 posts
 

Re: An Interview with Eric Monacelli: Part 2

[ Edited ]
Sep 17, 2013

canadian94eh wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33073&Title=Grand%20Theft%20Auto%20V

 

What do you mean by "what are they thinking"?


In this open-world action game, players assume the role of three criminals whose storylines intersect within the fictional city of Los Santos. Players can switch between each character to follow his storyline, completing missions which often include criminal activities (e.g., stealing cars, executing heists, assassinating targets). Players use pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles, and explosives to kill various enemies (e.g., rival gang members); players also have the ability to shoot non-adversary civilians, though this may negatively affect players' progress as a penalty system triggers a broad police search. Blood-splatter effects occur frequently, and the game contains rare depictions of dismemberment. In one sequence, players are directed to use various instruments and means to extract information from a character; the sequence is intense and prolonged, and it involves some player interaction (i.e., responding to on-screen prompts). The game includes depictions of sexual material/activity: implied fellatio and masturbation; various sex acts that the player's character procures from a prostitute—while no nudity is depicted in these sequences, various sexual moaning sounds can be heard. Nudity is present, however, primarily in two settings: a topless lap dance in a strip club and a location that includes male cult members with exposed genitalia in a non-sexual context. Within the game, TV programs and radio ads contain instances of mature humor: myriad sex jokes; depictions of raw sewage and feces on a worker's body; a brief instance of necrophilia (no nudity is depicted). Some sequences within the larger game allow players to use narcotics (e.g., smoking from a bong, lighting a marijuana joint); cocaine use is also depicted. Players' character can, at various times, consume alcohol and drive while under the influence. The words “****,” “****,” and “******” can be heard in the dialogue

 

the part in red is disgusting, seriously, if you want to play that you're a dirty 12 year old, for me such things are enough to not buy a game, even if the game was awesome, such things are enough for me to say: **bleep** you developer, grow up...

 

Edit: profanity


So it's okay in movies but not in games??. And gamers who enjoy mature content in a game rated 18+ are dirty minded & the developers need to grow up?? oh Okay then.


I don't appreciate it if it's in movies either, and yes, I think sexual content in any game or movie is pathetic, it does nothing to make the story better, and it's just in there for the dirty guys, it's totally disgusting...


that's not true all of the time, of course if there is a part in a strip club that is meant for the "dirty guys" or as commly referred to as "men" Smiley Wink ... anyways it is rare in games (especially not GTA i'd assume) but in movies they are times where the sex scene enhances the movie; not becuase of "hey, look **bleep** Smiley Surprised" but to further stregthen the relationship between characters, and character development / character relationships can be a huge role in stories

 

i just find it odd that you say mature content is for kids ... because that's what the developers really put it in there for, right?: "we need to appeal to the younger generation in our next game, how do we do that? ... I GOT IT, lets put a whole bunch of nude and sex scenes in there!" "excellent idea" ...

 

the simple fact is that sex sells, it's not just in GTA or in movies, but everywhere, if you don't want to see it than move to the himalayas or somewhere else isolated from the rest of the world ....


yeah, I agree that it is needed to make the person who watches the movie or plays the game understand that 2 people are starting to develop a relationship or show that they have/had a relationship, but is it really nescessary to show it because of that? take a look at Uncharted 2, in the beginning you see a scene with Chloe and Nate in a hotel room, which is obviously 'not going to end well' so to speak, but they don't show it, but we get the point, Chloe and Nate had a relationship before, we don't need to see them having sex to understand that, do we?

 

but sadly indeed, sex sells, as much as I hate it, that doesn't mean I have to travel to the himalayas to be rid of it, I can just avoid those games and movies Smiley Wink

Message 41 of 84 (331 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/27/2012
Online
3341 posts
 

Re: An Interview with Eric Monacelli: Part 2

[ Edited ]
Sep 12, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

xINESCAPABLEx wrote:

I never liked GTA. If I want to drive a stolen car and kill 3 prostitutes on the sidewalk I can just drive a car into my school. Anyway, I believe the Anniversary will be another little show like Eye of Indra. I mean Eric is giving this idea A LOT more enthuasism than a lot of his other 'surprises'. Either he's really overselling this thing or it could be pretty awesome.

 

Or... only just thought of this now. "Sony needs to sign off on it."

Could it be something to do with the signing of Uncharted 4?


With that logic, what's the point of playing any games? Why play Gran Turismo, when you can just participate in races in real life? Why play Uncharted, when you can search for treasure in mythical cities in real life? GTA has a fantastic sense of humour and great characters. Minus Roman Bellic.


in my opinion GTA has a horrible sense of humor, I hate the atmosphere and the story and characters, and I hate the over the top violence and sexual content, I just read the ESRB from GTA5, seriously, what are those guys at rockstar thinking...

 

besides, the gameplay is boring to me, I prefer open world games like assassin's creed or infamous, in which traversal is important, not just mindlessly shooting stuff, that's boring to me...




Yet you like UC3 which is just mindlessly shooting stuff.

 

GTA has more to offer than just mindless killing you guys either have never played a GTA game or you only bought GTA to do mindless killing.


is it? last time I checked Uncharted is an action/adventure, and I hardly use guns (even in multiplayer, I mostly am just stealthing my way around, shooting guns is boring to me), and in the story, I always use stealth and melee, except on crushing of course I had to shoot once in a while, and not to mention all the epic set pieces and the climbing and puzzles, Uncharted is not a shooter at all...


yes at its core Uncharted is about mindless killing & there's no going around this. To say Uncharted is not a shooter is simply delusional. GTA has a main story & it's not all about mindless killing or running overprostitutes. Some missions aren't even about killing. It offers tons of side quests, mini games that doesn't involve killing, you actually get punished for killing outside of missions lol. 

 

I understand GTA may not appeal to you but don't call it out for things that are also present in games you sing praises for.


saying Uncharted is at it's core a shooting game and GTA isn't is delusional :/

 

and I wasn't the guy he said that shooting and driving over prostitutes was the main objective in GTA, that was someone else who said that, but GTA's gameplay is just shooting, there is no climbing involved, no solving puzzles, let's take a look at the chapters of Uncharted 3 shall we, so I can show you why Uncharted isn't a shooter:

 

Spoiler

1 another round (no shooting at all)

2 greatness from small beginnings (no shooting at all)

3 second story work (no shooting at all)

4 run to ground (a stealth section)

5 london underground (second half of the chapter you can kill a bunch of enemies with guns)

6 the chateau (alternating between combat and climbing/puzzlesolving)

7 stay in the light (no shooting at all until near the ending when you escape the burning chateau)

8 the citadel (a stealth section with one sequence where you get spotted right away and have to fight the bad guys)

9 the middle way (no shooting at all)

10 historical research (no shooting at all)

11 as above, so below (mostly climbing and puzzlesolving, only a small section in the middle requires fighting)

12 abducted (a stealth section mostly, but there is also plenty of combat)

13 rough seas (first half is stealth, second half is combat)

14 cruisin' for a bruisin' (mostly stealth and climbing around the ship, but a lengthy combat scene in the middle)

15 sink or swim (only some combat in the beginning during a big set piece, but the rest is escaping the ship)

16 one shot at this (a stealth section)

17 stowaway (an awesome set piece chapter, you only shoot 5 or so baddies)

18 the rub' al khali (no shooting at all)

19 the settlement (a chapter heavily focused on combat)

20 caravan (fighting your way throught a bunch of driving trucks while riding a horse, not really mindless shooting)

21 the atlantis of the sands (half climbing/puzzlesolving and half shooting stuff)

22 the dreamers of the day (a lot of shooting, but also climbing and hand to hand combat)

 

 

 

so 12/22 chapters have (almost) no shooting at all, 9/22 chapters alternate between combat and climbing/puzzlesolving and only 1/22 chapters does have combat only, which is the settlement, and even in that chapter you can still use melee combat instead, because shooting guns is just one way of attacking bad guys, if you say that Uncharted is a shooter instead of an action/adventure, I really consider you being dumb...


Except I never once stated GTA wasn't a shooter, please don't make things up to fill a void in your argument. Smiley Happy

 

Uncharted 1, 2 & 3 are all shooters that's the main way of killing the enemies. Uncharted is an Action Adventure game incase you failed to remember that's simply a genre & not an actual type of game play. It's a shooter with stealth & basic combat elements incorporated into it, that includes exploration hence it falls under 'Action/Adventure. Infamous, Assassins Creed, Batman are all Action Adventures yet they play completely different to Uncharted & each other.

 

So thanks for the compliment oh smart one who doesn't know the difference between game play & Genre. Smiley Happy


yes, but you said that the gameplay is all about mindlessly shooting bad guys, and if you look at my little list of chapters you can see that that's not true at all...

 

and in GTA the main gameplay element is shooting stuff, you're not going to convince me that all those pointless mini-games are what you are playing the game for, right, while I hope that you can see that people play Uncharted for the awesome story, the climbing and puzzles solving and awesome set pieces, people don't play Uncharted because they enjoy shooting stuff...


UC3 is still a shooter lol, Drake carries a gun 95% of the time, he uses it alot, half the Single Player Trophies are centered around using guns & getting certain amount of kills with them or not manually reloading, hanging off ledges, getting headshots, softening up bad guys with bullets, so whether or not certain chapters takes away gun-play doesn't change the fact it's a shooter.

 

Again where did I ever state GTA isn't about guns? Shoot there are Ammo shops & weapon customization in the game. What I said is GTA games aren't solely about mindless killing because you can go hours & hours without killing someone & still have fun, yes the story is violent but there's so much more to the game than killing people.

 

Whether people play Uncharted for puzzles (which there are only a small amount of them), story, climbing (LOL), set pieces doesn't change the fact they will still be shooting bad guys more so than anything else.

Message 42 of 84 (325 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
3587 posts
 

Re: An Interview with Eric Monacelli: Part 2

[ Edited ]
Sep 12, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

xINESCAPABLEx wrote:

I never liked GTA. If I want to drive a stolen car and kill 3 prostitutes on the sidewalk I can just drive a car into my school. Anyway, I believe the Anniversary will be another little show like Eye of Indra. I mean Eric is giving this idea A LOT more enthuasism than a lot of his other 'surprises'. Either he's really overselling this thing or it could be pretty awesome.

 

Or... only just thought of this now. "Sony needs to sign off on it."

Could it be something to do with the signing of Uncharted 4?


With that logic, what's the point of playing any games? Why play Gran Turismo, when you can just participate in races in real life? Why play Uncharted, when you can search for treasure in mythical cities in real life? GTA has a fantastic sense of humour and great characters. Minus Roman Bellic.


in my opinion GTA has a horrible sense of humor, I hate the atmosphere and the story and characters, and I hate the over the top violence and sexual content, I just read the ESRB from GTA5, seriously, what are those guys at rockstar thinking...

 

besides, the gameplay is boring to me, I prefer open world games like assassin's creed or infamous, in which traversal is important, not just mindlessly shooting stuff, that's boring to me...




Yet you like UC3 which is just mindlessly shooting stuff.

 

GTA has more to offer than just mindless killing you guys either have never played a GTA game or you only bought GTA to do mindless killing.


is it? last time I checked Uncharted is an action/adventure, and I hardly use guns (even in multiplayer, I mostly am just stealthing my way around, shooting guns is boring to me), and in the story, I always use stealth and melee, except on crushing of course I had to shoot once in a while, and not to mention all the epic set pieces and the climbing and puzzles, Uncharted is not a shooter at all...


yes at its core Uncharted is about mindless killing & there's no going around this. To say Uncharted is not a shooter is simply delusional. GTA has a main story & it's not all about mindless killing or running overprostitutes. Some missions aren't even about killing. It offers tons of side quests, mini games that doesn't involve killing, you actually get punished for killing outside of missions lol. 

 

I understand GTA may not appeal to you but don't call it out for things that are also present in games you sing praises for.


saying Uncharted is at it's core a shooting game and GTA isn't is delusional :/

 

and I wasn't the guy he said that shooting and driving over prostitutes was the main objective in GTA, that was someone else who said that, but GTA's gameplay is just shooting, there is no climbing involved, no solving puzzles, let's take a look at the chapters of Uncharted 3 shall we, so I can show you why Uncharted isn't a shooter:

 

Spoiler

1 another round (no shooting at all)

2 greatness from small beginnings (no shooting at all)

3 second story work (no shooting at all)

4 run to ground (a stealth section)

5 london underground (second half of the chapter you can kill a bunch of enemies with guns)

6 the chateau (alternating between combat and climbing/puzzlesolving)

7 stay in the light (no shooting at all until near the ending when you escape the burning chateau)

8 the citadel (a stealth section with one sequence where you get spotted right away and have to fight the bad guys)

9 the middle way (no shooting at all)

10 historical research (no shooting at all)

11 as above, so below (mostly climbing and puzzlesolving, only a small section in the middle requires fighting)

12 abducted (a stealth section mostly, but there is also plenty of combat)

13 rough seas (first half is stealth, second half is combat)

14 cruisin' for a bruisin' (mostly stealth and climbing around the ship, but a lengthy combat scene in the middle)

15 sink or swim (only some combat in the beginning during a big set piece, but the rest is escaping the ship)

16 one shot at this (a stealth section)

17 stowaway (an awesome set piece chapter, you only shoot 5 or so baddies)

18 the rub' al khali (no shooting at all)

19 the settlement (a chapter heavily focused on combat)

20 caravan (fighting your way throught a bunch of driving trucks while riding a horse, not really mindless shooting)

21 the atlantis of the sands (half climbing/puzzlesolving and half shooting stuff)

22 the dreamers of the day (a lot of shooting, but also climbing and hand to hand combat)

 

 

 

so 12/22 chapters have (almost) no shooting at all, 9/22 chapters alternate between combat and climbing/puzzlesolving and only 1/22 chapters does have combat only, which is the settlement, and even in that chapter you can still use melee combat instead, because shooting guns is just one way of attacking bad guys, if you say that Uncharted is a shooter instead of an action/adventure, I really consider you being dumb...


Except I never once stated GTA wasn't a shooter, please don't make things up to fill a void in your argument. Smiley Happy

 

Uncharted 1, 2 & 3 are all shooters that's the main way of killing the enemies. Uncharted is an Action Adventure game incase you failed to remember that's simply a genre & not an actual type of game play. It's a shooter with stealth & basic combat elements incorporated into it, that includes exploration hence it falls under 'Action/Adventure. Infamous, Assassins Creed, Batman are all Action Adventures yet they play completely different to Uncharted & each other.

 

So thanks for the compliment oh smart one who doesn't know the difference between game play & Genre. Smiley Happy


yes, but you said that the gameplay is all about mindlessly shooting bad guys, and if you look at my little list of chapters you can see that that's not true at all...

 

and in GTA the main gameplay element is shooting stuff, you're not going to convince me that all those pointless mini-games are what you are playing the game for, right, while I hope that you can see that people play Uncharted for the awesome story, the climbing and puzzles solving and awesome set pieces, people don't play Uncharted because they enjoy shooting stuff...


UC3 is still a shooter lol, Drake carries a gun 95% of the time, he uses it alot, half the Single Player Trophies are centered around using guns & getting certain amount of kills with them or not manually reloading, hanging off ledges, getting headshots, softening up bad guys with bullets, so whether or not certain chapters takes away gun-play doesn't change the fact it's a shooter.

 

Again where did I ever state GTA isn't about guns? Shoot there are Ammo shops & weapon customization in the game. What I said is GTA games aren't solely about mindless killing because you can go hours & hours without killing someone & still have fun, yes the story is violent but there's so much more to the game than killing people.

 

Whether people play Uncharted for puzzles (which there are only a small amount of them), story, climbing (LOL), set pieces doesn't change the fact they will still be shooting bad guys more so than anything else.


Ratchet and Clank carries 20 guns at all times, is that a shooter? in Little Big Planet you have a paintinator to shoot baddies with, is that a shooter? even in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood/Revelations/3 you have a gun 90-100% of the time, I guess that's a shooter to then, seriously, what logic is that? :/

 

and why the LOL when talking about climbing? I really enjoy the climbing in Uncharted, not because of the climbing mechanics itself, but because of the awesome locations to climb in and figuring out where to go next, and when I am in combat I hardly use guns, I think the hand to hand combat is way more awesome (although it's better in previous games) to use, I only use guns when it's absolutely nescessary, which is, not very often...

 

edit: and about the trophies, trophies are always about combat, you can't give trophies to climbing stuff and admiring the scenery, and you can't give them to puzzlesolving either, because that's just part of the story, and Uncharted has (unlike many other games) no trophies that you unlock automatically when playing through the story, that's the reason why many trophies are about the combat, not because the combat is the most important aspect of the game...

Message 43 of 84 (321 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/27/2012
Online
3341 posts
 

Re: An Interview with Eric Monacelli: Part 2

Sep 12, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

xINESCAPABLEx wrote:

I never liked GTA. If I want to drive a stolen car and kill 3 prostitutes on the sidewalk I can just drive a car into my school. Anyway, I believe the Anniversary will be another little show like Eye of Indra. I mean Eric is giving this idea A LOT more enthuasism than a lot of his other 'surprises'. Either he's really overselling this thing or it could be pretty awesome.

 

Or... only just thought of this now. "Sony needs to sign off on it."

Could it be something to do with the signing of Uncharted 4?


With that logic, what's the point of playing any games? Why play Gran Turismo, when you can just participate in races in real life? Why play Uncharted, when you can search for treasure in mythical cities in real life? GTA has a fantastic sense of humour and great characters. Minus Roman Bellic.


in my opinion GTA has a horrible sense of humor, I hate the atmosphere and the story and characters, and I hate the over the top violence and sexual content, I just read the ESRB from GTA5, seriously, what are those guys at rockstar thinking...

 

besides, the gameplay is boring to me, I prefer open world games like assassin's creed or infamous, in which traversal is important, not just mindlessly shooting stuff, that's boring to me...




Yet you like UC3 which is just mindlessly shooting stuff.

 

GTA has more to offer than just mindless killing you guys either have never played a GTA game or you only bought GTA to do mindless killing.


is it? last time I checked Uncharted is an action/adventure, and I hardly use guns (even in multiplayer, I mostly am just stealthing my way around, shooting guns is boring to me), and in the story, I always use stealth and melee, except on crushing of course I had to shoot once in a while, and not to mention all the epic set pieces and the climbing and puzzles, Uncharted is not a shooter at all...


yes at its core Uncharted is about mindless killing & there's no going around this. To say Uncharted is not a shooter is simply delusional. GTA has a main story & it's not all about mindless killing or running overprostitutes. Some missions aren't even about killing. It offers tons of side quests, mini games that doesn't involve killing, you actually get punished for killing outside of missions lol. 

 

I understand GTA may not appeal to you but don't call it out for things that are also present in games you sing praises for.


saying Uncharted is at it's core a shooting game and GTA isn't is delusional :/

 

and I wasn't the guy he said that shooting and driving over prostitutes was the main objective in GTA, that was someone else who said that, but GTA's gameplay is just shooting, there is no climbing involved, no solving puzzles, let's take a look at the chapters of Uncharted 3 shall we, so I can show you why Uncharted isn't a shooter:

 

Spoiler

1 another round (no shooting at all)

2 greatness from small beginnings (no shooting at all)

3 second story work (no shooting at all)

4 run to ground (a stealth section)

5 london underground (second half of the chapter you can kill a bunch of enemies with guns)

6 the chateau (alternating between combat and climbing/puzzlesolving)

7 stay in the light (no shooting at all until near the ending when you escape the burning chateau)

8 the citadel (a stealth section with one sequence where you get spotted right away and have to fight the bad guys)

9 the middle way (no shooting at all)

10 historical research (no shooting at all)

11 as above, so below (mostly climbing and puzzlesolving, only a small section in the middle requires fighting)

12 abducted (a stealth section mostly, but there is also plenty of combat)

13 rough seas (first half is stealth, second half is combat)

14 cruisin' for a bruisin' (mostly stealth and climbing around the ship, but a lengthy combat scene in the middle)

15 sink or swim (only some combat in the beginning during a big set piece, but the rest is escaping the ship)

16 one shot at this (a stealth section)

17 stowaway (an awesome set piece chapter, you only shoot 5 or so baddies)

18 the rub' al khali (no shooting at all)

19 the settlement (a chapter heavily focused on combat)

20 caravan (fighting your way throught a bunch of driving trucks while riding a horse, not really mindless shooting)

21 the atlantis of the sands (half climbing/puzzlesolving and half shooting stuff)

22 the dreamers of the day (a lot of shooting, but also climbing and hand to hand combat)

 

 

 

so 12/22 chapters have (almost) no shooting at all, 9/22 chapters alternate between combat and climbing/puzzlesolving and only 1/22 chapters does have combat only, which is the settlement, and even in that chapter you can still use melee combat instead, because shooting guns is just one way of attacking bad guys, if you say that Uncharted is a shooter instead of an action/adventure, I really consider you being dumb...


Except I never once stated GTA wasn't a shooter, please don't make things up to fill a void in your argument. Smiley Happy

 

Uncharted 1, 2 & 3 are all shooters that's the main way of killing the enemies. Uncharted is an Action Adventure game incase you failed to remember that's simply a genre & not an actual type of game play. It's a shooter with stealth & basic combat elements incorporated into it, that includes exploration hence it falls under 'Action/Adventure. Infamous, Assassins Creed, Batman are all Action Adventures yet they play completely different to Uncharted & each other.

 

So thanks for the compliment oh smart one who doesn't know the difference between game play & Genre. Smiley Happy


yes, but you said that the gameplay is all about mindlessly shooting bad guys, and if you look at my little list of chapters you can see that that's not true at all...

 

and in GTA the main gameplay element is shooting stuff, you're not going to convince me that all those pointless mini-games are what you are playing the game for, right, while I hope that you can see that people play Uncharted for the awesome story, the climbing and puzzles solving and awesome set pieces, people don't play Uncharted because they enjoy shooting stuff...


UC3 is still a shooter lol, Drake carries a gun 95% of the time, he uses it alot, half the Single Player Trophies are centered around using guns & getting certain amount of kills with them or not manually reloading, hanging off ledges, getting headshots, softening up bad guys with bullets, so whether or not certain chapters takes away gun-play doesn't change the fact it's a shooter.

 

Again where did I ever state GTA isn't about guns? Shoot there are Ammo shops & weapon customization in the game. What I said is GTA games aren't solely about mindless killing because you can go hours & hours without killing someone & still have fun, yes the story is violent but there's so much more to the game than killing people.

 

Whether people play Uncharted for puzzles (which there are only a small amount of them), story, climbing (LOL), set pieces doesn't change the fact they will still be shooting bad guys more so than anything else.


Ratchet and Clank carries 20 guns at all times, is that a shooter? in Little Big Planet you have a paintinator to shoot baddies with, is that a shooter? even in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood/Revelations/3 you have a gun 90-100% of the time, I guess that's a shooter to then, seriously, what logic is that? :/

 

and why the LOL when talking about climbing? I really enjoy the climbing in Uncharted, not because of the climbing mechanics itself, but because of the awesome locations to climb in and figuring out where to go next, and when I am in combat I hardly use guns, I think the hand to hand combat is way more awesome (although it's better in previous games) to use, I only use guns when it's absolutely nescessary, which is, not very often...


Ratchet isn't carrying around AK's & Snipers, Semi Autmatics, majority of his weapons are in the form of a gun but does not function like a real life gun. Your LBP reference is silly & I never played those AC games so I won't comment on them. Where is your logic actually? Drake is a Mass Murderer who kills people mostly with guns = Shooter ETC. 

 

I lauged because no one buys Uncharted for the climbing & it's certainly not a selling point. When 'YOU' are in combat you choose to not use a gun but not because you decide to not use a gun doesn't change the fact it's a 3rd person shooter... Action/ Adventure game

 

Anyways i'm over this, it's clear you're very close minded & think the way Uncharted is played is centered solely around how you choose to play it. 

Message 44 of 84 (316 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
3587 posts
 

Re: An Interview with Eric Monacelli: Part 2

Sep 12, 2013

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

wycliff_12 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

xINESCAPABLEx wrote:

I never liked GTA. If I want to drive a stolen car and kill 3 prostitutes on the sidewalk I can just drive a car into my school. Anyway, I believe the Anniversary will be another little show like Eye of Indra. I mean Eric is giving this idea A LOT more enthuasism than a lot of his other 'surprises'. Either he's really overselling this thing or it could be pretty awesome.

 

Or... only just thought of this now. "Sony needs to sign off on it."

Could it be something to do with the signing of Uncharted 4?


With that logic, what's the point of playing any games? Why play Gran Turismo, when you can just participate in races in real life? Why play Uncharted, when you can search for treasure in mythical cities in real life? GTA has a fantastic sense of humour and great characters. Minus Roman Bellic.


in my opinion GTA has a horrible sense of humor, I hate the atmosphere and the story and characters, and I hate the over the top violence and sexual content, I just read the ESRB from GTA5, seriously, what are those guys at rockstar thinking...

 

besides, the gameplay is boring to me, I prefer open world games like assassin's creed or infamous, in which traversal is important, not just mindlessly shooting stuff, that's boring to me...




Yet you like UC3 which is just mindlessly shooting stuff.

 

GTA has more to offer than just mindless killing you guys either have never played a GTA game or you only bought GTA to do mindless killing.


is it? last time I checked Uncharted is an action/adventure, and I hardly use guns (even in multiplayer, I mostly am just stealthing my way around, shooting guns is boring to me), and in the story, I always use stealth and melee, except on crushing of course I had to shoot once in a while, and not to mention all the epic set pieces and the climbing and puzzles, Uncharted is not a shooter at all...


yes at its core Uncharted is about mindless killing & there's no going around this. To say Uncharted is not a shooter is simply delusional. GTA has a main story & it's not all about mindless killing or running overprostitutes. Some missions aren't even about killing. It offers tons of side quests, mini games that doesn't involve killing, you actually get punished for killing outside of missions lol. 

 

I understand GTA may not appeal to you but don't call it out for things that are also present in games you sing praises for.


saying Uncharted is at it's core a shooting game and GTA isn't is delusional :/

 

and I wasn't the guy he said that shooting and driving over prostitutes was the main objective in GTA, that was someone else who said that, but GTA's gameplay is just shooting, there is no climbing involved, no solving puzzles, let's take a look at the chapters of Uncharted 3 shall we, so I can show you why Uncharted isn't a shooter:

 

Spoiler

1 another round (no shooting at all)

2 greatness from small beginnings (no shooting at all)

3 second story work (no shooting at all)

4 run to ground (a stealth section)

5 london underground (second half of the chapter you can kill a bunch of enemies with guns)

6 the chateau (alternating between combat and climbing/puzzlesolving)

7 stay in the light (no shooting at all until near the ending when you escape the burning chateau)

8 the citadel (a stealth section with one sequence where you get spotted right away and have to fight the bad guys)

9 the middle way (no shooting at all)

10 historical research (no shooting at all)

11 as above, so below (mostly climbing and puzzlesolving, only a small section in the middle requires fighting)

12 abducted (a stealth section mostly, but there is also plenty of combat)

13 rough seas (first half is stealth, second half is combat)

14 cruisin' for a bruisin' (mostly stealth and climbing around the ship, but a lengthy combat scene in the middle)

15 sink or swim (only some combat in the beginning during a big set piece, but the rest is escaping the ship)

16 one shot at this (a stealth section)

17 stowaway (an awesome set piece chapter, you only shoot 5 or so baddies)

18 the rub' al khali (no shooting at all)

19 the settlement (a chapter heavily focused on combat)

20 caravan (fighting your way throught a bunch of driving trucks while riding a horse, not really mindless shooting)

21 the atlantis of the sands (half climbing/puzzlesolving and half shooting stuff)

22 the dreamers of the day (a lot of shooting, but also climbing and hand to hand combat)

 

 

 

so 12/22 chapters have (almost) no shooting at all, 9/22 chapters alternate between combat and climbing/puzzlesolving and only 1/22 chapters does have combat only, which is the settlement, and even in that chapter you can still use melee combat instead, because shooting guns is just one way of attacking bad guys, if you say that Uncharted is a shooter instead of an action/adventure, I really consider you being dumb...


Except I never once stated GTA wasn't a shooter, please don't make things up to fill a void in your argument. Smiley Happy

 

Uncharted 1, 2 & 3 are all shooters that's the main way of killing the enemies. Uncharted is an Action Adventure game incase you failed to remember that's simply a genre & not an actual type of game play. It's a shooter with stealth & basic combat elements incorporated into it, that includes exploration hence it falls under 'Action/Adventure. Infamous, Assassins Creed, Batman are all Action Adventures yet they play completely different to Uncharted & each other.

 

So thanks for the compliment oh smart one who doesn't know the difference between game play & Genre. Smiley Happy


yes, but you said that the gameplay is all about mindlessly shooting bad guys, and if you look at my little list of chapters you can see that that's not true at all...

 

and in GTA the main gameplay element is shooting stuff, you're not going to convince me that all those pointless mini-games are what you are playing the game for, right, while I hope that you can see that people play Uncharted for the awesome story, the climbing and puzzles solving and awesome set pieces, people don't play Uncharted because they enjoy shooting stuff...


UC3 is still a shooter lol, Drake carries a gun 95% of the time, he uses it alot, half the Single Player Trophies are centered around using guns & getting certain amount of kills with them or not manually reloading, hanging off ledges, getting headshots, softening up bad guys with bullets, so whether or not certain chapters takes away gun-play doesn't change the fact it's a shooter.

 

Again where did I ever state GTA isn't about guns? Shoot there are Ammo shops & weapon customization in the game. What I said is GTA games aren't solely about mindless killing because you can go hours & hours without killing someone & still have fun, yes the story is violent but there's so much more to the game than killing people.

 

Whether people play Uncharted for puzzles (which there are only a small amount of them), story, climbing (LOL), set pieces doesn't change the fact they will still be shooting bad guys more so than anything else.


Ratchet and Clank carries 20 guns at all times, is that a shooter? in Little Big Planet you have a paintinator to shoot baddies with, is that a shooter? even in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood/Revelations/3 you have a gun 90-100% of the time, I guess that's a shooter to then, seriously, what logic is that? :/

 

and why the LOL when talking about climbing? I really enjoy the climbing in Uncharted, not because of the climbing mechanics itself, but because of the awesome locations to climb in and figuring out where to go next, and when I am in combat I hardly use guns, I think the hand to hand combat is way more awesome (although it's better in previous games) to use, I only use guns when it's absolutely nescessary, which is, not very often...


Ratchet isn't carrying around AK's & Snipers, Semi Autmatics, majority of his weapons are in the form of a gun but does not function like a real life gun. Your LBP reference is silly & I never played those AC games so I won't comment on them. Where is your logic actually? Drake is a Mass Murderer who kills people mostly with guns = Shooter ETC. 

 

I lauged because no one buys Uncharted for the climbing & it's certainly not a selling point. When 'YOU' are in combat you choose to not use a gun but not because you decide to not use a gun doesn't change the fact it's a 3rd person shooter... Action/ Adventure game

 

Anyways i'm over this, it's clear you're very close minded & think the way Uncharted is played is centered solely around how you choose to play it. 


I can say the exact same thing about you, but whatever, let's quit it...

Message 45 of 84 (311 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 11/22/2009
Offline
2348 posts
 

Re: An Interview with Eric Monacelli: Part 2

Sep 12, 2013

wow you two are having quite the conversation, i didn't read all of it since it was too long Smiley Happy

 

but somebody asked if these games are shooters:

R&C - yes (futuristic styled guns still makes it a shooter)

LBP - no

AC - no

 

just because it has guns in the game doesn't make it a shooter, LBP is more on solving puzzles / platforming, while AC is more of a stealth game (the gun is there as a last resort, most of the time you will be using swords / daggers / whatever)

 

i might have missed something that makes this post irrelevant, so if it does just ignore it Smiley Happy

 

Message 46 of 84 (298 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
3587 posts
 

Re: An Interview with Eric Monacelli: Part 2

Sep 13, 2013

canadian94eh wrote:

wow you two are having quite the conversation, i didn't read all of it since it was too long Smiley Happy

 

but somebody asked if these games are shooters:

R&C - yes (futuristic styled guns still makes it a shooter)

LBP - no

AC - no

 

just because it has guns in the game doesn't make it a shooter, LBP is more on solving puzzles / platforming, while AC is more of a stealth game (the gun is there as a last resort, most of the time you will be using swords / daggers / whatever)

 

i might have missed something that makes this post irrelevant, so if it does just ignore it Smiley Happy

 


yeah, the other guy said Uncharted was a shooter because Nate carries a gun at (almost) all times, so I said that in Assassin's Creed you have a gun all the time too, but that doesn't make it a shooter, anyway, it was not an argument worth arguing about xD

Message 47 of 84 (284 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 01/04/2012
Offline
10262 posts
 

Re: An Interview with Eric Monacelli: Part 2

Sep 13, 2013
UC3 SINGLEPLAYER is definitely action-adventure.


Technically UC3 MP is a shooter. If it's not, we can classify CoD/BF under what UC3 MP falls under.

They all have:
-traversal (BF3 especially, multiple entry points and multiple ways to flank the enemy, and even driving/boating/flying to a place)
- guns (duh)
- stealth kills (Gaining Dogtags in BF3, "Backstab" achievement in CoD)
- customization (BF3 character colors and CoD emblems/gun designs)
- climbing, jumping, etc (BF3 and CoD have crouching and prone instead of UC's rolling)
- explosions (grenades)
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 48 of 84 (281 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Last Guardian
Registered: 01/04/2012
Offline
10262 posts
 

Re: An Interview with Eric Monacelli: Part 2

Sep 13, 2013
Also GTA has excessive sex, drug abuse, excessive foul language, you name it. GTA does it "ironically" to "emphasize what's wrong with real-life society" or whatever they said.

I assume it's partially true, since most of the things they put in the fake media is true (like the energy bar commercial which parodies actual energy bar commercials by pointing out that people with mid-life crisis buy this a lot instead of the advertised "teenage sporty peeps"). The excessive sex in their media is an exaggeration of the excessive sex in the media right now (for example, why the **bleep** do you need a supermodel to advertise chocolate).

GTA also does it for the exact reasons they bash it. Sex and stuff. Appeals to the large demographic (like mindless explosions ie UC3).
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 49 of 84 (280 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 05/29/2013
Offline
396 posts
 

Re: An Interview with Eric Monacelli: Part 2

Sep 13, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Solid---Steak wrote:

xINESCAPABLEx wrote:

I never liked GTA. If I want to drive a stolen car and kill 3 prostitutes on the sidewalk I can just drive a car into my school. Anyway, I believe the Anniversary will be another little show like Eye of Indra. I mean Eric is giving this idea A LOT more enthuasism than a lot of his other 'surprises'. Either he's really overselling this thing or it could be pretty awesome.

 

Or... only just thought of this now. "Sony needs to sign off on it."

Could it be something to do with the signing of Uncharted 4?


With that logic, what's the point of playing any games? Why play Gran Turismo, when you can just participate in races in real life? Why play Uncharted, when you can search for treasure in mythical cities in real life? GTA has a fantastic sense of humour and great characters. Minus Roman Bellic.


in my opinion GTA has a horrible sense of humor, I hate the atmosphere and the story and characters, and I hate the over the top violence and sexual content, I just read the ESRB from GTA5, seriously, what are those guys at rockstar thinking...

 

besides, the gameplay is boring to me, I prefer open world games like assassin's creed or infamous, in which traversal is important, not just mindlessly shooting stuff, that's boring to me...


Weird, because i find assassin's creed and infamous really boring, but i really like gta (but gta4 had rubbish characters and features imo) but just chilling in the city is pretty awesome, besides about 95% of the time i'm doing side missions for the single player trophies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 50 of 84 (257 Views)
Reply
0 Likes