Jun 26 2013
By: tapantaola Ghost of Sparta 13011 posts

An interesting article regarding DLC maps

25 replies 591 views Edited Jun 26, 2013

http://obliviondoll.blog.com/2013/01/14/splitting-the-playerbase-what-does-it-mean-in-the-context-of...

Food for thought.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 1 of 26 (591 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 26, 2013

I'm sure they'll do what they did with UC2 and release the DLC for free sometime whenever.

I for one am looking forward to trying out the DLC maps (which I practically don't play on) with friends.

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 2 of 26 (575 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 26, 2013

Yeah, they'll make the UC3 MP DLC maps free when the Uncharted 4 will be announced... that's not the point of this thread, though.

DLC maps should be free from the get go.- I don't want to play a broken game on an 8-year old console. I'd rather migrate to the PS4.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 3 of 26 (533 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1135 posts

Jun 26, 2013

One of my fears is that Uncharted will turn out to be like Assassin's Creed.  Ubisoft just tries to sell it's yearly games to the demographic instead actually thinking outside the box.   They got 3 Assassin's Creed games in development right after AC Black Flag, all by different montreal teams of course.   Where Stagnation becomes the liability/assets and innovation is dead. Glad I never bought AC3 or Liberation.    

Honestly I see signs that Naughty Dog could indeed go that route where the demographic is more important than going a different direction.  Alot people would argue me about "Well didn't they release The Last of Us? That's an original game. "   Yes, however they are splitting teams and not communicating on the fanbase. Plus all the wacky stuff with Unchrted 3's Multiplayer.  Doesn't seem like their too proud of these forums.  

Message 4 of 26 (519 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jun 26, 2013

Good article but unfortunately we are all to be blamed for these practices since we all buy the DLC Maps lol.

But unfortunately I don't see this changing devs will simply use high production budgets as a scapegoat & DLC is used to offset losses.

Message 5 of 26 (516 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 26, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:

1) Good article but unfortunately we are all to be blamed for these practices since we all buy the DLC Maps lol.

2) But unfortunately I don't see this changing devs will simply use high production budgets as a scapegoat & DLC is used to offset losses.

1) Some people got the GOTY edition.

2) I don't have a problem with DLCs. I understand that they need to make money. I just don't like DLCs that split the player pool. They can subsidize the cost of the DLC maps by selling more DLC skins.

Seriously, they could make more money by selling Rika and Wetsuit Elena for $10, lol.

Message 6 of 26 (511 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jun 26, 2013

fyiByas wrote:

One of my fears is that Uncharted will turn out to be like Assassin's Creed.  Ubisoft just tries to sell it's yearly games to the demographic instead actually thinking outside the box.   They got 3 Assassin's Creed games in development right after AC Black Flag, all by different montreal teams of course.   Where Stagnation becomes the liability/assets and innovation is dead. Glad I never bought AC3 or Liberation.    

Honestly I see signs that Naughty Dog could indeed go that route where the demographic is more important than going a different direction.  Alot people would argue me about "Well didn't they release The Last of Us? That's an original game. "   Yes, however they are splitting teams and not communicating on the fanbase. Plus all the wacky stuff with Unchrted 3's Multiplayer.  Doesn't seem like their too proud of these forums.  

I can't see Uncharted going down the path of AC, I actually think ND is actually over Uncharted but they can't leave the franchise. But Sony has never exploited their franchises except for Sport titles that needs yearly iterations.

Anyways as much i've lost respect for ND I don't think they'll become one of those developers especially since they aren't independent. ND is scared of this forum they lied alot why would they show face here? lol

Message 7 of 26 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jun 26, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Zidane_Finito wrote:

1) Good article but unfortunately we are all to be blamed for these practices since we all buy the DLC Maps lol.

2) But unfortunately I don't see this changing devs will simply use high production budgets as a scapegoat & DLC is used to offset losses.

2) I don't have a problem with DLCs. I understand that they need to make money. I just don't like DLCs that split the player pool. They can subsidize the cost of the DLC maps by selling more DLC skins.

Seriously, they could make more money by selling Rika and Wetsuit Elena for $10, lol.

I think ND realized how much they could make off Skins/Taunts & even useless ugly hats BUT why would they make maps free when they can sell a season pass & get free money before they even started working on the content look at the TLOU & how they still can't answer what's included in the MP Packs but people still bought it.

Message 8 of 26 (507 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 26, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

Zidane_Finito wrote:

I think ND realized how much they could make off Skins/Taunts & even useless ugly hats BUT why would they make maps free when they can sell a season pass & get free money before they even started working on the content look at the TLOU & how they still can't answer what's included in the MP Packs but people still bought it.

Because many ND fanboys claim that ND is a "different" and "special" company.

Just because charging for DLC maps is an industry norm, it doesn't mean that ND should adopt this scam. Otherwise, they're not better than Activision and DICE.

Message 9 of 26 (500 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1135 posts

Jun 26, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:

Good article but unfortunately we are all to be blamed for these practices since we all buy the DLC Maps lol.

But unfortunately I don't see this changing devs will simply use high production budgets as a scapegoat & DLC is used to offset losses.

Don't get me wrong the ones that are doing the Graphic features, mechanics, animation, Voice, and Music are doing a phenomenal/outstanding job. That goes to pretty much every game company.    However it's who manages the content, sometimes I wish idea making can be more unique and original instead of imitating ideas from other games.     

At this stage we already know what to expect from ND's ideas.   

Message 10 of 26 (483 Views)
0 Likes