Survivor
2224 posts

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 26, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

http://obliviondoll.blog.com/2013/01/14/splitting-the-playerbase-what-does-it-mean-in-the-context-of...

Food for thought.

Looks like an interesting article Tap, I'll read it when I get home later tonight but I'm amazed at what you can find. :3

Message 11 of 26 (391 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3653 posts

Jun 26, 2013

I have mixed feelings about his, because out of all the DLC, making maps must be the most expensive, they can't just say: because we don't want the player pool to be split we give them away for free!

Message 12 of 26 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 26, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

I have mixed feelings about his, because out of all the DLC, making maps must be the most expensive, they can't just say: because we don't want the player pool to be split we give them away for free!

The launch PS3 had a manufacturing cost of $900, but Sony sold it for $600 only. That's like giving you $300 for free.

Should I tell you how Sony managed to recoup that loss?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader

Laggy gameplay causes people to abandon MP games. That's a fact. If there is minimal lag, then people will feel more inclined to spend money on microtransactions!

TL;DR: Yeah, it makes perfect business sense. You just have to be able to see the big picture...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 13 of 26 (374 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 19, 2016

Message 14 of 26 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3653 posts

Jun 26, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

The launch PS3 had a manufacturing cost of $900, but Sony sold it for $600 only. That's like giving you $300 for free.

Laggy gameplay causes people to abandon MP games. That's a fact. If there is minimal lag, then people will feel more inclined to spend money on microtransactions!

TL;DR: Yeah, it makes perfect business sense. You just have to be able to see the big picture...

please tapantaola, speak less in links, ok? xD I appreciate the explanation, but you always give me links Smiley Tongue

oh and what does TL;DR mean, I've seen that before, is it some sort of conclusion or something?

anyway, I heard the WiiU get's sold for less than it costs to make it, but Reggie Fils-Aime explained that once the customer buys one game for the system, they still make a profit of it, and since almost everyone buys a console for the games, they probably will at least buy a game for it, you don't buy a WiiU to stare at the main menu, right?

speaking of the WiiU and games, the system could use a few, I'm not interested in buying it at all, I have a Wii, but I have only 1 game for it, which is Zelda Twilight Princess, I'm still thinking of buying Zelda Skyward Sword, but I'm waiting for a price drop, since I have to buy an expansion for the controller or something...

the Wii is from my little sister, but she is not interested at all in a Wii U I'm afraid, and no way am I going to buy one just for a new Zelda game (it doesn't even have a Zelda game yet, the Zelda tech demo looked awesome though, but it will probably not look that good)

Message 15 of 26 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

1) please tapantaola, speak less in links, ok? xD I appreciate the explanation, but you always give me links Smiley Tongue

oh and what does TL;DR mean, I've seen that before, is it some sort of conclusion or something?

2) anyway, I heard the WiiU get's sold for less than it costs to make it, but Reggie Fils-Aime explained that once the customer buys one game for the system, they still make a profit of it, and since almost everyone buys a console for the games, they probably will at least buy a game for it, you don't buy a WiiU to stare at the main menu, right?

speaking of the WiiU and games, the system could use a few, I'm not interested in buying it at all, I have a Wii, but I have only 1 game for it, which is Zelda Twilight Princess, I'm still thinking of buying Zelda Skyward Sword, but I'm waiting for a price drop, since I have to buy an expansion for the controller or something...

the Wii is from my little sister, but she is not interested at all in a Wii U I'm afraid, and no way am I going to buy one just for a new Zelda game (it doesn't even have a Zelda game yet, the Zelda tech demo looked awesome though, but it will probably not look that good)

1) I gave you the wiki link as a hint. I think you're smart enough to figure it out by yourself. Smiley Wink

2) Nintendo is lying.

How can an outdated console cost almost the same price as a PS4? Do you believe them? It doesn't make any sense.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 16 of 26 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4401 posts

Jun 26, 2013
TL;DR = too long to read

You owe me a thank, Matt.

Anyway, why post the article here? Not a lot of people are gonna come here especially ND devs.
Ho Ho Ha Ha
Message 17 of 26 (328 Views)
Fender Bender
3653 posts

Jun 27, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

1) please tapantaola, speak less in links, ok? xD I appreciate the explanation, but you always give me links Smiley Tongue

2) anyway, I heard the WiiU get's sold for less than it costs to make it, but Reggie Fils-Aime explained that once the customer buys one game for the system, they still make a profit of it, and since almost everyone buys a console for the games, they probably will at least buy a game for it, you don't buy a WiiU to stare at the main menu, right?

1) I gave you the wiki link as a hint. I think you're smart enough to figure it out by yourself. Smiley Wink

2) Nintendo is lying.

How can an outdated console cost almost the same price as a PS4? Do you believe them? It doesn't make any sense.

it has not much to do with smart, but if you have crappy internet like me, I first have to wait a minute until the link is finally opened and I also have to puzzle out why I was linked to it Smiley Tongue

I don't really know about the WiiU, you can compare it to the PS3 back when it released if you want, because it has a lot of new tech, developing tech takes a lot of money, also the WiiU is basically as PS3 and a ps vita, because you have that screen on your controller, I know it's not the same quality as a PS3 and ps vita, but you compared it the the PS4, which is just a box, with tech that already excists, because Sony is not going to develop the architecture themselves this time, like they did with PS3, so I guess that's why the WiiU is so expensive, and the PS4 is only 50 dollar more expensive, but who am I to know Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 26 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3653 posts

Jun 27, 2013

FredFai wrote:
TL;DR = too long to read

You owe me a thank, Matt.

Anyway, why post the article here? Not a lot of people are gonna come here especially ND devs.

eh, thanks I guess Smiley Wink

still, the acronym doesn't make sense, why is To Long To read (which I think would be TLTR) written as TLDR, and why is there a ; in the middle, I'm confused Smiley Tongue

Message 19 of 26 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11897 posts

Jun 27, 2013
It's not "too long to read". It's "too long; didn't read"

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 20 of 26 (289 Views)