Reply
Survivor
Registered: 05/21/2011
Offline
2224 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 26, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

http://obliviondoll.blog.com/2013/01/14/splitting-the-playerbase-what-does-it-mean-in-the-context-of...

Food for thought.


Looks like an interesting article Tap, I'll read it when I get home later tonight but I'm amazed at what you can find. :3

Message 11 of 26 (360 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
3465 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 26, 2013

I have mixed feelings about his, because out of all the DLC, making maps must be the most expensive, they can't just say: because we don't want the player pool to be split we give them away for free!

Message 12 of 26 (347 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 26, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

I have mixed feelings about his, because out of all the DLC, making maps must be the most expensive, they can't just say: because we don't want the player pool to be split we give them away for free!


The launch PS3 had a manufacturing cost of $900, but Sony sold it for $600 only. That's like giving you $300 for free.

Should I tell you how Sony managed to recoup that loss?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader

Laggy gameplay causes people to abandon MP games. That's a fact. If there is minimal lag, then people will feel more inclined to spend money on microtransactions!

 

TL;DR: Yeah, it makes perfect business sense. You just have to be able to see the big picture...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 13 of 26 (343 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 04/08/2013
Offline
324 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 26, 2013

That article doesn't say anything that wasn't painfully obvious already. Adding DLC maps when you have a matchmaking system like in the Uncharted games is just plain stupid. I remember all the topics from people who just bought one or two map packs and couldn't find anyone to play with since their fraction of the player pool was so small. The only real question is if it actually hurts Naughty Dog financially which unfortunately I guess it doesn't, so I expect to see DLC maps in future games as well.

Message 14 of 26 (330 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
3465 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 26, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

I have mixed feelings about his, because out of all the DLC, making maps must be the most expensive, they can't just say: because we don't want the player pool to be split we give them away for free!


The launch PS3 had a manufacturing cost of $900, but Sony sold it for $600 only. That's like giving you $300 for free.

Should I tell you how Sony managed to recoup that loss?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader

Laggy gameplay causes people to abandon MP games. That's a fact. If there is minimal lag, then people will feel more inclined to spend money on microtransactions!

 

TL;DR: Yeah, it makes perfect business sense. You just have to be able to see the big picture...


please tapantaola, speak less in links, ok? xD I appreciate the explanation, but you always give me links Smiley Tongue

 

oh and what does TL;DR mean, I've seen that before, is it some sort of conclusion or something?

 

anyway, I heard the WiiU get's sold for less than it costs to make it, but Reggie Fils-Aime explained that once the customer buys one game for the system, they still make a profit of it, and since almost everyone buys a console for the games, they probably will at least buy a game for it, you don't buy a WiiU to stare at the main menu, right?

 

speaking of the WiiU and games, the system could use a few, I'm not interested in buying it at all, I have a Wii, but I have only 1 game for it, which is Zelda Twilight Princess, I'm still thinking of buying Zelda Skyward Sword, but I'm waiting for a price drop, since I have to buy an expansion for the controller or something...

 

the Wii is from my little sister, but she is not interested at all in a Wii U I'm afraid, and no way am I going to buy one just for a new Zelda game (it doesn't even have a Zelda game yet, the Zelda tech demo looked awesome though, but it will probably not look that good)

Message 15 of 26 (319 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

[ Edited ]
Jun 26, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

I have mixed feelings about his, because out of all the DLC, making maps must be the most expensive, they can't just say: because we don't want the player pool to be split we give them away for free!


The launch PS3 had a manufacturing cost of $900, but Sony sold it for $600 only. That's like giving you $300 for free.

Should I tell you how Sony managed to recoup that loss?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader

Laggy gameplay causes people to abandon MP games. That's a fact. If there is minimal lag, then people will feel more inclined to spend money on microtransactions!

 

TL;DR: Yeah, it makes perfect business sense. You just have to be able to see the big picture...


1) please tapantaola, speak less in links, ok? xD I appreciate the explanation, but you always give me links Smiley Tongue

 

oh and what does TL;DR mean, I've seen that before, is it some sort of conclusion or something?

 

2) anyway, I heard the WiiU get's sold for less than it costs to make it, but Reggie Fils-Aime explained that once the customer buys one game for the system, they still make a profit of it, and since almost everyone buys a console for the games, they probably will at least buy a game for it, you don't buy a WiiU to stare at the main menu, right?

 

speaking of the WiiU and games, the system could use a few, I'm not interested in buying it at all, I have a Wii, but I have only 1 game for it, which is Zelda Twilight Princess, I'm still thinking of buying Zelda Skyward Sword, but I'm waiting for a price drop, since I have to buy an expansion for the controller or something...

 

the Wii is from my little sister, but she is not interested at all in a Wii U I'm afraid, and no way am I going to buy one just for a new Zelda game (it doesn't even have a Zelda game yet, the Zelda tech demo looked awesome though, but it will probably not look that good)


1) I gave you the wiki link as a hint. I think you're smart enough to figure it out by yourself. Smiley Wink

2) Nintendo is lying.

 

How can an outdated console cost almost the same price as a PS4? Do you believe them? It doesn't make any sense.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 16 of 26 (316 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/24/2011
Offline
4327 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 26, 2013
TL;DR = too long to read

You owe me a thank, Matt.

Anyway, why post the article here? Not a lot of people are gonna come here especially ND devs.
Ho Ho Ha Ha
Message 17 of 26 (297 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
3465 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 27, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

I have mixed feelings about his, because out of all the DLC, making maps must be the most expensive, they can't just say: because we don't want the player pool to be split we give them away for free!


The launch PS3 had a manufacturing cost of $900, but Sony sold it for $600 only. That's like giving you $300 for free.

Should I tell you how Sony managed to recoup that loss?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader

Laggy gameplay causes people to abandon MP games. That's a fact. If there is minimal lag, then people will feel more inclined to spend money on microtransactions!

 

TL;DR: Yeah, it makes perfect business sense. You just have to be able to see the big picture...


1) please tapantaola, speak less in links, ok? xD I appreciate the explanation, but you always give me links Smiley Tongue

 

oh and what does TL;DR mean, I've seen that before, is it some sort of conclusion or something?

 

2) anyway, I heard the WiiU get's sold for less than it costs to make it, but Reggie Fils-Aime explained that once the customer buys one game for the system, they still make a profit of it, and since almost everyone buys a console for the games, they probably will at least buy a game for it, you don't buy a WiiU to stare at the main menu, right?

 

speaking of the WiiU and games, the system could use a few, I'm not interested in buying it at all, I have a Wii, but I have only 1 game for it, which is Zelda Twilight Princess, I'm still thinking of buying Zelda Skyward Sword, but I'm waiting for a price drop, since I have to buy an expansion for the controller or something...

 

the Wii is from my little sister, but she is not interested at all in a Wii U I'm afraid, and no way am I going to buy one just for a new Zelda game (it doesn't even have a Zelda game yet, the Zelda tech demo looked awesome though, but it will probably not look that good)


1) I gave you the wiki link as a hint. I think you're smart enough to figure it out by yourself. Smiley Wink

2) Nintendo is lying.

 

How can an outdated console cost almost the same price as a PS4? Do you believe them? It doesn't make any sense.


it has not much to do with smart, but if you have crappy internet like me, I first have to wait a minute until the link is finally opened and I also have to puzzle out why I was linked to it Smiley Tongue

 

I don't really know about the WiiU, you can compare it to the PS3 back when it released if you want, because it has a lot of new tech, developing tech takes a lot of money, also the WiiU is basically as PS3 and a ps vita, because you have that screen on your controller, I know it's not the same quality as a PS3 and ps vita, but you compared it the the PS4, which is just a box, with tech that already excists, because Sony is not going to develop the architecture themselves this time, like they did with PS3, so I guess that's why the WiiU is so expensive, and the PS4 is only 50 dollar more expensive, but who am I to know Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 26 (262 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Online
3465 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 27, 2013

FredFai wrote:
TL;DR = too long to read

You owe me a thank, Matt.

Anyway, why post the article here? Not a lot of people are gonna come here especially ND devs.

eh, thanks I guess Smiley Wink

 

still, the acronym doesn't make sense, why is To Long To read (which I think would be TLTR) written as TLDR, and why is there a ; in the middle, I'm confused Smiley Tongue

Message 19 of 26 (260 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
Registered: 02/11/2010
Online
10765 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 27, 2013
It's not "too long to read". It's "too long; didn't read"

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 20 of 26 (258 Views)