Reply
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 11/28/2009
Offline
13011 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

[ Edited ]
Jun 27, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

1) it has not much to do with smart, but if you have crappy internet like me, I first have to wait a minute until the link is finally opened and I also have to puzzle out why I was linked to it :smileytongue:

 

2) I don't really know about the WiiU, you can compare it to the PS3 back when it released if you want, because it has a lot of new tech, developing tech takes a lot of money, also the WiiU is basically as PS3 and a ps vita, because you have that screen on your controller, I know it's not the same quality as a PS3 and ps vita, but you compared it the the PS4, which is just a box, with tech that already excists, because Sony is not going to develop the architecture themselves this time, like they did with PS3, so I guess that's why the WiiU is so expensive, and the PS4 is only 50 dollar more expensive, but who am I to know :smileywink:


1) My point is that they can subsidize the cost of the DLC maps by selling DLC skins (Rika, Wetsuit Elena) etc, just like Sony subsidized the cost of the PS3 by selling PS3 games. It's common sense really.

2) Nintendo charges you $150 for the WiiU gamepad (if you want a replacement), which is total BS. That's almost the same price as a PS Vita, which is an autonomous console.

 

The WiiU console uses totally outdated technology. The 3-core CPU is based on a decade-old architecture (IBM PPC), and that's why it offers Wii BC, while the PS4 has an 8-core CPU designed in 2013.

 

The GPU is also outdated (Radeon 4xxx, DX10.1, 320 SPs) compared to the PS4 GPU (Radeon 7xxx, DX11.1, 1152 SPs).

 

The RAM is not enough (2GB vs 8GB) and it's too slow (12.8GB/s DDR3 vs 176GB/s GDDR5).

 

Nintendo didn't develop any special architecture, like the Cell processor. They just got off-the-shelf technology from IBM and AMD.

 

Need I say more? The Wii U hardware is a total rip off. I still haven't seen a Wii U game rivalling PS3 exclusives' graphics, let alone PS4 graphics (Dark Sorcerer is almost CGI quality).

 

So yeah, if you want to spend 400 bucks, the PS4 is the better deal. The Wii U isn't worth more than $200.

 

ps: Sorry for the technical jargon, but I believe that knowledge is power and everyone needs to be an informed & responsible consumer.

 

I still remember Nintendo's PR saying that the Wii U is 19 times more powerful than the PS3, LMAO! The PS4 is 10 times more powerful than the PS3.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 21 of 26 (339 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Offline
2856 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 27, 2013

tapantaola wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

1) it has not much to do with smart, but if you have crappy internet like me, I first have to wait a minute until the link is finally opened and I also have to puzzle out why I was linked to it :smileytongue:

 

2) I don't really know about the WiiU, you can compare it to the PS3 back when it released if you want, because it has a lot of new tech, developing tech takes a lot of money, also the WiiU is basically as PS3 and a ps vita, because you have that screen on your controller, I know it's not the same quality as a PS3 and ps vita, but you compared it the the PS4, which is just a box, with tech that already excists, because Sony is not going to develop the architecture themselves this time, like they did with PS3, so I guess that's why the WiiU is so expensive, and the PS4 is only 50 dollar more expensive, but who am I to know :smileywink:


1) My point is that they can subsidize the cost of the DLC maps by selling DLC skins (Rika, Wetsuit Elena) etc, just like Sony subsidized the cost of the PS3 by selling PS3 games. It's common sense really.

2) Nintendo charges you $150 for the WiiU gamepad (if you want a replacement), which is total BS. That's almost the same price as a PS Vita, which is an autonomous console.

 

The WiiU console uses totally outdated technology. The 3-core CPU is based on a decade-old architecture (IBM PPC), and that's why it offers Wii BC, while the PS4 has an 8-core CPU designed in 2013.

 

The GPU is also outdated (Radeon 4xxx, DX10.1, 320 SPs) compared to the PS4 GPU (Radeon 7xxx, DX11.1, 1152 SPs).

 

The RAM is not enough (2GB vs 8GB) and it's too slow (12.8GB/s DDR3 vs 176GB/s GDDR5).

 

Nintendo didn't develop any special architecture, like the Cell processor. They just got off-the-shelf technology from IBM and AMD.

 

Need I say more? The Wii U hardware is a total rip off. I still haven't seen a Wii U game rivalling PS3 exclusives' graphics, let alone PS4 graphics (Dark Sorcerer is almost CGI quality).

 

So yeah, if you want to spend 400 bucks, the PS4 is the better deal. The Wii U isn't worth more than $200.

 

ps: Sorry for the technical jargon, but I believe that knowledge is power and everyone needs to be an informed & responsible consumer.

 

I still remember Nintendo's PR saying that the Wii U is 19 times more powerful than the PS3, LMAO! The PS4 is 10 times more powerful than the PS3.


did Nintendo seriously say it's 19 times more powerful than a ps3? what a lot of rubbish, it's not even a little more powerful, as far as I know, it's less powerful than a ps3, because if it was powerful, why do the WiiU exclusives still looks like PS2/Wii games? (that's not meant insulting, because I do think Wii games are great, but we must admit that the graphics are nothing special), if we look for instance at this new mario 3D game they showed at E3: I know it has a cartoonish look, but they still can make the graphics better right? and it doesn't even look better than Super Mario Galaxy, how bad is that, I think Nintendo needs to learn something from Prince of Persia 2008 (if you don't know how that looks, look on youtube, it's a beautiful game), that game has a cartoonish look, but has some of the best graphics you will ever see, if the WiiU is really more powerful than a PS3, then I want to see the next Zelda to look better than Prince of Persia 2008 :smileyhappy:

Message 22 of 26 (323 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 10/29/2011
Offline
1257 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 27, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
It's "too long; didn't read"

Ha. I always thought it was "Too lazy; didn't read"

Message 23 of 26 (313 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 07/17/2010
Offline
1109 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 28, 2013

-Wii_U  is looking like the best console at the moment IMO.  Monolith X, Mario Kart 8, and Pikman 3 

However it's still not enough for me to buy it, maybe when theres discounts and it's no longer Region locked.

 

-Nothing shown about the PS4 interested me. Maybe 2 years down the road I'll rethink. 

 

-3DS is dominating in handheld Games. While PSvita is loosing momentum, hopefully next year it'll pick up. 

 

Seems like all Next Gen consoles are nothing innovative and gimmicks come into play.  This generation should really not focus on graphics and how many AAA sequels we can announce. It should be about how to get more developers into making bigger/fun games.  More unique IPs    

Message 24 of 26 (232 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Offline
2856 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jun 28, 2013

fyiByas wrote:

-Wii_U  is looking like the best console at the moment IMO.  Monolith X, Mario Kart 8, and Pikman 3 

However it's still not enough for me to buy it, maybe when theres discounts and it's no longer Region locked.

 

-Nothing shown about the PS4 interested me. Maybe 2 years down the road I'll rethink. 

 

-3DS is dominating in handheld Games. While PSvita is loosing momentum, hopefully next year it'll pick up. 

 

Seems like all Next Gen consoles are nothing innovative and gimmicks come into play.  This generation should really not focus on graphics and how many AAA sequels we can announce. It should be about how to get more developers into making bigger/fun games.  More unique IPs    


well, the PS4 has currently 140 games in development, which of 100 come into the first year, 40 of which (of the total 140) are exclusive to the PS4, 30 of which (of the 40 exclusives) are first party exclusives and 20 of which (of the 30 first party exclusives) are coming in the first year and 12 of which (of the 30 first party exclusives) are new IP's, so there has to be something you like coming in it's first year, you have choice out of 12 new IP's, currently 2 are known, which are Knack and The Order 1886, both look interesting to me although Knack doesn't seem like a 60 dollar game to me, but The Order 1886 could be a very good new IP, we will have to see :smileyhappy:

 

but yeah, I get your point, games are getting bigger and bigger, but how bigger they get, the less risks they can take, so don't expect a lot of innovation, personally I think that's where the indie devs come in (which sony supports a lot, so that's good), they do the creative and innovative stuff, and if that gets very popular, it will find it's way into the AAA blockbuster titles, but you just won't see that right at launch of the PS4, but I have faith we will get them eventually :smileywink:

Message 25 of 26 (223 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 05/29/2013
Offline
396 posts
 

Re: An interesting article regarding DLC maps

Jul 8, 2013

Have a free bump. :smileywink:

 

I reckon that the early PS4 games will be like Vita launch games and UDF and use the stupid crappy gimmicks on the PS4 controller.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 26 of 26 (186 Views)
Reply
0 Likes