Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
679 posts

Re: BIGGER Argument For smaller Co-op Maps

[ Edited ]
Nov 4, 2013

Big or small map matters little to me...fewer exclusively competitive maps in the future though.  Old Quarter was a particular sore point because if it was good enough for Shade Survival (which I dislike just slightly less than Hunter Arena), why not Coop Arena?  We have our answer now.  Outstanding coop arena map.

I can accept that there are some current maps (and presumably some of these will be brought forward to a new game) that would be unworkable for Arena no matter what ND did to tweak them BUT for any new maps, I think they should all be designed with both coop and comp in mind.  If not, at least give us the same number of maps for each type of game play (and from pure vindictiveness, mainly comp players will then know what's it's like not to have access to a map in their favourite mode).  I have nothing but my gut to go on but if ND truly wants to grow their user/fan base, they have to be visionaries...I think they have a huge opportunity to define (and own) the coop gameplay space.  Comp may be more popular but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that there is a long history of online, multiplayer competitive games.  Outstanding coop games are a pretty rare commodity...ND has done a great job of exploring and beginning to define the space but I really hope they hit the next one out of the park.

I play mostly coop (as do most of my UC3 friends) and I can't emphasize enough how thrilled everyone is about Old Quarter.  It really is challenging, fun and a fantastic addition to the stable of coop maps.  City of Brass, Temple, Train Wreck and Cave are no brainers in my book...I'd absolutely love to play those.  Dry Docks I think would work too but I'm still making my mind up about that one...I know a lot of people are thrilled with it but frankly, my reaction was, "meh".

I'm not a fan of Graveyard (even in comp) and in my opinion, there's just too much water for coop but if people want it and ND could make it work some how, have at 'er.  I think Gold Rush on Graveyard would be a royal pain in the keester (Highrise is probably the closest comparison but there's a whole lot more ground/floor area in Highrise to move the idol around).

Lastly, I honestly believe that ND tweaked the enemy spawns for all maps shortly before the patch.  I mostly play crushing and the tempo seemed just a little bit higher in the days leading up to release.  I think this is why Old Quarter especially is getting such good reviews because the nature of the map layout enhances the chaos and craziness on this map even more! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 13 (167 Views)
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Nov 4, 2013

Map size doesn't really matter ll that miuch to me (though I don't like london streets for co-op, IMO it feels open but also (somewhat) claustrophobic at the same time. I would just like more equality when it comes to co-op and competitive maps. I know more people play comp modes more than they play co-op, what what about those players (like myself) who strictly play co-op?

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 13 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Nov 4, 2013

Holy smokes!  I forgot about London Underground….one of my favourite Comp maps.  That would be wicked!  Very similar to Old Quarter in it’s general layout but a little more broken up and more verticality.  OH…it is too dream!

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 13 (130 Views)
0 Likes