Treasure Hunter
9167 posts

Well, as developers it is their job to consider every asp...

Jun 9, 2011

ryaniscool47 wrote:

It's an exploit because the bunny hopper is able to hop back and forth faster than the other person can follow with their gun.  They're exploiting (or, if you prefer, taking advantage of) unbalanced game mechanics that obv ND hadn't considered when designing the game.  Whether you've gotten good at countering it or not, it still is a tactic that a person who has practice at it will usually win with in a one v one battle, particularly if they're less than 15 feet from you.  

I'm glad you at least agree that it looks stupid.  

Well, as developers it is their job to consider every aspect of the gameplay that could potentially be exploited. It is not the fault of the players if a basic game mechanic can be so easily "misused", nor is it their fault that following the dreaded update-that-shall-not-be-named, cover and rolling simply didn't work as well as they used to, thus people had to turn to other means.

As I said though, I do agree that I want it gone, and yes, it looks stupid. I get annoyed in general when I watch cinemas of people who just do it the entire game, in place of even just running. Lmao.

Message 71 of 91 (31 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1100 posts

I've changed my mind. I think bunny hopping needs to stay...

Jun 9, 2011

I've changed my mind. I think bunny hopping needs to stay and the netcode should simply be improved. The problem isn't having an efficient way to counter getting shot, it's that p2p doesn't make for the best experience. After seeing how smoothe UC3 movement flows, adding in a little stumble/pause for jumping would be a crime.

ryaniscool47 wrote:

It's an exploit because the bunny hopper is able to hop back and forth faster than the other person can follow with their gun.  They're exploiting (or, if you prefer, taking advantage of) unbalanced game mechanics that obv ND hadn't considered when designing the game.  Whether you've gotten good at countering it or not, it still is a tactic that a person who has practice at it will usually win with in a one v one battle, particularly if they're less than 15 feet from you.  

It's an exploit because you can't follow them with your aim fast enough? You can raise your sensitivity, but you're not meant to go left right left right, unless you have a pistol. Fire brief bursts of your AK as they land.

As for developer intentions, there are plenty of things the developer did not intend or account for in UC2, but no one would make a case for them to be removed. The last thing they did to appease players requesting major changes - something that actually DID change the game to what they claim they intended it to be - was to lower health. So even if the developers do intend something, it's not always for the best.

Message 72 of 91 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
331 posts

When I come across a bunny hopper I just point my AK-47 u...

Jun 10, 2011

When I come across a bunny hopper I just point my AK-47 up in the air and spin in a circle wildly firing shots off.  Hoping the bullets fall back down to earth and hit the bunny hopper.  Seems to work out pretty well for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 73 of 91 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9167 posts

LOL.

Jun 10, 2011

Derflinger wrote:

When I come across a bunny hopper I just point my AK-47 up in the air and spin in a circle wildly firing shots off.  Hoping the bullets fall back down to earth and hit the bunny hopper.  Seems to work out pretty well for me.

LOL.

Message 74 of 91 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
579 posts

Bunny hoppers are easy to kill. Just recoil   herp derp

Jun 10, 2011

Bunny hoppers are easy to kill. Just recoil

herp derp

Message 75 of 91 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14139 posts

This pretty much explains it.   As for the person I saw s...

Jun 10, 2011

ryaniscool47 wrote:

This pretty much explains it.

As for the person I saw saying adjust your sensitivity... That is a joke right? It's still hugely slower than the hop. Either Sony only sell broken controllers or it is indeed nowhere near the speed to match the hopping motion.

It creates an advantage where the opponent can go faster when they shouldn't be able to. The same people defending it, in the bid to be morally correct should be the same people to defend the leprechaun "exploit" no it actually isn't a glitch, that is also an exploit.

Both make you faster,

But the hopping stops you slowing down while dying which makes it a even bigger problem than some idiot running around with a idol without any ammo to fight back unless they drop it.

Hopping around expliots: Speed, Aim sensitivity and most importantly, the hopper does not feel the effects of being shot and being slower (The key to killing someone is weakening them, a hopper shows no signs of weakness or slowing.

Message 76 of 91 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4343 posts

I won't lie it's kinda impressive how this whole "bu...

Jun 10, 2011

I won't lie it's kinda impressive how this whole "bunny hoping" thing is viewed by people. Not just this forum but on others I pay mind to as well. This whole "I can't hit a bunny jumper" is actually quite a common complaint by the Uncharted 2 gamers. I didn't think it was since I never had a hard time dealing with it but when I went to other forums I saw it being a common complaint. Here is what I think about it though.

Naughty Dog hasn't updated Uncharted 2 in a while I'm guessing and although I rarely play these days I am guessing the speed and ainimations haven't been tweaked. Bunny hoping really doesn't make you faster than someone just running. I remember testing it a few times and it simply doesn't. An interesting thing to note though is that blind-firing actually does make your character move faster. Just an interesting note to keep in mind. I remember it being it actually been know by some people I knew, for example those who played plunder started blind-firing while holding the treaser because they knew it would make them run faster with it.

As for making your sensitivity faster. I am a fan of shooters on PC over consoles any days and I played Uncharted 2 on the max sensitivity and I honestly still felt it to be rather slow for my liking but it's fast enough to track bunny hopping. The animations in Uncharted aren't fast to begin with and jumping back and forth really only works against a player who for one must haven't pretty unimpressive aim, lack of ability to control their gun, and the only other possible way it would work is if your just laggy and in that case jumping around back and forth only slightly aids you along side your lag. If your laggy your laggy jumping back and forth doesn't boost it by any sense it might though show you skipping a few more animations if you weren't jumping back and forth.

I honestly couldn't care less if they did or didn't take out bunny hopping in Uncharted 3.(at this point though my hopes for the multiplayer aren't exactly very optimistic to begin with.)

There are some things I still would like to touch on briefly.

I can't make a guess yet about bunny hoping since in most gameplay videos most haven't been jumping back as relentless as some Uncharted 2 players usually do.

The roll in Uncharted 3 doesn't look that much better than Uncharted 2. Kinda dissapointing considering plenty of people have joked about it being the "death button' and how impractical rolling is. Yet Naughty Dog seems deaf to these remarks and hasn't made the roll any better.( this is how it appears to me from the gameplay I have watched.)

The sprint hardly looks practical either. I wasn't hoping for something insane in terms speed but it honestly doesn't seem practical for evading much of anything. One thing I am curious about those is if during a sprint is one capable of not only going straight in a sprint but perhaps adjusting it with the sticks and do a bit of a weave. I am not sure on this myself but I will be more than eager to test it out in the upcoming beta.

So if my assumtions on the other mechanics of movement in Uncharted are correct what is there to do to evade gun fire ina way if you do get caught? People bunny hopped because rolling was usless as an evasive manuaver. Or perhaps Nuaghty Dog isn't interesting of letting people who get shot in the back have any means of escape. Which is a possibility too since ever since the change in health Naughty Dog didn't seem interesting in letting players live if they got shot in the back.(escaping gun fire lol says ND) If jumping still proves to be the best method in Uncharted 3 then that is how it will play out. If not the Uncharted community will find something else to do as an evasive manuaver in Uncharted 3.

Message 77 of 91 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5918 posts

One thing you didn't even touch upon is the aim assist. N...

Jun 10, 2011

GMRcris wrote:
Naughty Dog hasn't updated Uncharted 2 in a while I'm guessing and although I rarely play these days I am guessing the speed and ainimations haven't been tweaked. Bunny hoping really doesn't make you faster than someone just running. I remember testing it a few times and it simply doesn't. An interesting thing to note though is that blind-firing actually does make your character move faster. Just an interesting note to keep in mind. I remember it being it actually been know by some people I knew, for example those who played plunder started blind-firing while holding the treaser because they knew it would make them run faster with it.

As for making your sensitivity faster. I am a fan of shooters on PC over consoles any days and I played Uncharted 2 on the max sensitivity and I honestly still felt it to be rather slow for my liking but it's fast enough to track bunny hopping. The animations in Uncharted aren't fast to begin with and jumping back and forth really only works against a player who for one must haven't pretty unimpressive aim, lack of ability to control their gun, and the only other possible way it would work is if your just laggy and in that case jumping around back and forth only slightly aids you along side your lag. If your laggy your laggy jumping back and forth doesn't boost it by any sense it might though show you skipping a few more animations if you weren't jumping back and forth.

One thing you didn't even touch upon is the aim assist. No matter how high you put your sensitivity in UC2, your sensitivity will drop and move much more slowly around the radius of an enemy. Not only that, but it will attempt to track an enemy as he moves perpendicular to you. When a player is lagging, it will end up aiming behind him and not hitting once unless you make adjustments (as opposed to players who aren't lagging, where you can pretty much take your thumb off the right analog and still get the kill). The point that I was trying to make is that, between the aim assist trying and failing to zero in on a lagging enemy and having to fight against the large sensitivity drop in the enemy's radius, bunny hopping is a very effective strategy if you have a subpar internet connection due to the extreme movements and the confusion by the aim assist.

Also, by "extreme movements" I meant that the hitboxes are moving at a much more rapid and agile pace than if a player is just walking normally or rolling, not that he is actually moving faster across a distance.

Message 78 of 91 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
458 posts

I was doing some comparisons of UC3's roll speed to UC2's...

Jun 10, 2011

Aureilia wrote:

As for the person I saw saying adjust your sensitivity... That is a joke right? It's still hugely slower than the hop. Either Sony only sell broken controllers or it is indeed nowhere near the speed to match the hopping motion.

It creates an advantage where the opponent can go faster when they shouldn't be able to. The same people defending it, in the bid to be morally correct should be the same people to defend the leprechaun "exploit" no it actually isn't a glitch, that is also an exploit.

I don't know, unless I'm playing extreme laggers (like pdiss mentioned), I don't really have a problem killing bunnyhoppers and my aim sensitivity is at default.

GMRcris wrote:

The roll in Uncharted 3 doesn't look that much better than Uncharted 2. Kinda dissapointing considering plenty of people have joked about it being the "death button' and how impractical rolling is. Yet Naughty Dog seems deaf to these remarks and hasn't made the roll any better.( this is how it appears to me from the gameplay I have watched.)

I was doing some comparisons of UC3's roll speed to UC2's (found a couple good videos with rolls) and UC3's is definitely faster. Couple that with the lower weapon damage (yes!) and I don't think circle will be the suicide button anymore.

On the subject of aim assist, as long as there is a large player pool and matchmaking lets people prioritize connection, I think we'll run into significantly less laggers. Thus, the problem with AA against laggers that pdiss described will obviously lessened.
Message 79 of 91 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14139 posts

I can hit them. But it does consist of fire at them, lose...

Jun 10, 2011

REALMAN_PERSON wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

I don't know, unless I'm playing extreme laggers (like pdiss mentioned), I don't really have a problem killing bunnyhoppers and my aim sensitivity is at default.

I can hit them. But it does consist of fire at them, lose track of them, get out of aim mode quickly and repeat. There is no problem killing them by doing that since they are too busy jumping around they don't even notice you left aim mode for those quick seconds.

The point with speed I'm making is when you are shot you get a damage set to you which makes you slower when running which becomes a mere crawl as you are nearly dead, the hopping stops that ever happening.

Not saying I wouldn't do it, you'd be pretty silly to not take every advantage there is to take, and I did take that advantage quite a lot. However I feel like I've cheated in game death with it, I feel as if many others are doing the same. For me that takes away something from the game, it's much more fun to be able to kill people quickly rather than someone shooting me and me escaping while I should very well be dead.

When that happens I just think to myself that I didn't deserve to get out of the situation and I quite honestly feel dirty, at the same time though I'd hate to be a reason to cost my team any points.

Just because I see others exploiting the slow down effect it doesn't make it okay for me or anyone else to do it. :smileyhappy:

Message 80 of 91 (31 Views)
0 Likes