Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Aug 17 2012
By: Luxis I Only Post Everything 437 posts
Offline
Accepted Solution

[Cameraman Eric responded!] Enough silly excuses. Just add Flynn's color palette to all characters.

[ Edited ]
510 replies 3299 views Edited Aug 30, 2012

Alright, I perfectly know that scooby already posted a thread about this, but this is something that I've been preparing for a while, waiting for the patch to come out to finally discuss about it, and I can't post it in his thread.

This thread is not going to be just a simple request (we have too much of them already) but I also want to make clear every point, explaining with logic reasons why Naughty Dog is wrong with their idea. My customization thread has too much stuff right now, and since we... "kinda" got what we asked with patch 1.13, better posting a new, separate thread regarding this particular feature.

 

I gathered most of Naughty Dog's reasons right here, so we can easily read and discuss about them. Don't get me wrong, I can perfectly understand their reasons and their choices, but you can't just stand there without doing anything when you read this. I'm not angry or else, I'd just like to reasonably talk about this :smileyhappy:

 

 

 

____________

Eric-ND wrote:

As for those villains, with the exception of Prakoso, they all toe the line between good and evil, right? Aside from the heroes/villians color separation there were other design decisions involved, aesthetic and otherwise. 

 ____________

Eric-ND wrote:

We really want to make sure the aesthetic of the items remains intact

 

____________

Eric-ND wrote:

I invite you to come in and talk with our art team and designers. It was a VERY deliberate decision. We've been talking more to see what's possible about more colors and if anything comes of it we'll let you know. We really want to make sure the aesthetic of the items remains intact as well as have differentiation between the heroes and villains. It's easy for you guys and gals on the forums to tell hero and villain apart, but if you're new to the game it's a bit more difficult. We'll see what comes of the discussions after we get patch 1.13 out the door. 

 

____________

Eric-ND wrote:

 It's easy for you guys and gals on the forums to tell hero and villain apart, but if you're new to the game it's a bit more difficult.

____________

 

 

 

 

Uh... a small thing a bit off-topic, but what was their reason for which they don't want to add separate hitboxes? They said that they didn't want new players to get angry saying "BUT I SHOT HIM 12 TIMES AND HE DIDN'T DIE, WHYYYY!!"!£=!!2!", so they wouldn't get confused, right?

 

Fine, that's it. Now we have this colors lacking thing. Just let me say it with immediate words: either Naughty Dog thinks that people playing their game are stupid, retarded and dumb, or they're just lazy. This is it. They're both not good things, pretty shameful too, but from what they told us we can assume that it's actually like this.

 

This can't even be related to 'helping the casual players', because their entire idea of 'We don't want players to get confused because a Hero is wearing a dark shirt' is ridicolous. Ridicolous.

 

Someone who's playing in the Heroes team doesn't get confused when he sees a dark red Lazarevic popping out in front of him aiming a RPG with his red PSN name on his head. Whether a casual player or not. It's a simple fact and logic, it's instinctive, and if Naughty Dog is really thinking that a black shirt Drake would confuse a casual player playing in the Villains team, well... it's pretty shameful from them.

 

Did they really notice how contradictory their reason is? I'm saying, did they really notice?

 

How about the Custom Heroes and Custom Villains who share the same colors, the same voices, the same character model? What, this is not getting confused? When you're running on the map and hear a guy screaming or grunting with the same voice of Custom Heroes and Villains, THAT'S when someone is confused. Everytime I hear that voice I always rotate my camera only to discover that he was just my teammate playing as the Custom Hero. But the other 50% of chance is seeing a Custom Villain with that awesome and shining red PSN ID on his head.

 

How about the skeletons skins? Same, identical thing applies to them. Everytime I see or hear a red shining skeleton jumping I can't predict if he's a teammate or not, since both Heroes skeletons and Villains skeletons share the same voice and the same colors (only Marco Polo can have a blue too). If I find a skeleton in front of me I don't have the time to notice if he has the red Marco Polo's hat or Ghengis Khan's helmet. His red PSN ID on his head is more than enough.

 

How about the Djinn skin now?

How about the custom Heroes and Villains who can have Spyder's hair?

 

THIS is getting confused.

Oh, and I am not a casual player. I'm playing Uncharted multiplayer since the first day when the U2 beta came out. This, for clarifying, that if I get confused by these features, what about the true casual players?

 

 

 

We know, thanks to a glitch, that we can use new colors while joining a co-op adventure match (thanks curtainman for the pic)

 

h

 

What we're asking is, you guys said that, technically possible. What is refraining you to make it real?

 

Please, say that it's because you don't want people to play as a fluorescent green Sully or a shiny pinky Lazarevic. Please, say this, because it would actually make sense! I don't think that the community would agree with this design choice. In fact, the same Eric said:

 

Eric-ND wrote:

We really want to make sure the aesthetic of the items remains intact

 

I would like to believe that THIS may be the real reason. Maybe you don't want to risk and give us weird colors combinations. I would be the first one to hate that. But you know, we wouldn't have this problem if you just make a new palette for the torso only, leaving the pants just like they're now.

Also, some skins like Lazarevic have darker clothes by default: that means that if we chose a pink for him, we wouldn't have the same pink for Sully's havana shirt, which is bright, but his pink would be a lot darker, almost not notable. AND THIS IS GOOD.

 

But if you say that you don't want to give us a red Drake because new players playing in the villains side would think of him as another villain... I'm going to say that again: either Naughty Dog thinks that people playing their game are stupid, retarded and dumb, or they're just lazy.

Oh, hey, I mentioned red Drake. Red. Red, you know? We're not even asking to create a color that wouldn't fit for Drake, and why? BECAUSE HE ALREADY GOT IT IN THE BETA! Because he's a HERO, and you said that HEROES must have BRIGTH colors! Funny thing is that you clearly showed off that red Drake more than any other version of Drake for this game, since the first multiplayer trailer.


Heck, you put that red Drake with green pants kicking that villain on cover of the game itself too: http://www.coverdude.com/covers/uncharted-3-drakes-deception-2011-r4-front-cover-82277.jpg


You played as him in the multiplayer trailer (and you show new shirts and colors for Sully that we don't have now):


 

 



You played as him, along with two new combination of colors for Sully that we don't have now, in the Co-op Hunter trailer (hey, just look at who's on the video thumbnail!):

 

 

I thought that the beta's purpose was seeing what must be changed/improved for the retail version of the game. Technical issues. Meanwhile, you get the feedbacks from your community, who was just excited seeing all the customization that you showed. We wanted more, but we got even less than before! :smileyindifferent:

 

Just explain why in the beta Drake had:

green, blue, red, brown, black

 

but in the retail version, he has:

green, blue, brown, brown, black, green

 

 

Your eyes would caught the difference within a second. We had 4 colors, all of them being different, all of them giving variety.

Now we have 5 colors, but only 2 of them are different.

If you think of Nepal Drake, too, he has the following palette:

brown, green, blue, brown, brown, black, green

 

which is just depressing.

 

 

So, we got to know that you use determined palettes for every customization items. The main ones seem to be these (you can see the complete list of the characters in my customization thread, at the 03-13-2012 update -> http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/UNCHARTED-3-Drake-s-Deception/How-we-expected-customization-t...

 

 

#1

Palette #1

 

 

#2


 

 

 

These two palettes are the main ones. Some skins have a palette of their own (UDF Elena, Reporter Elena, Winter Elena, Nepal Chloe, Winter Chloe, Roman, Marlowe, Talbot...) and some of them are pretty enjoyable. But I just don't understand why the #1 palette must be so overrused. I mean, look at it. It's just... depressing, miserable. Palette #2 is pretty cool, but it's not so popular and it lacks white and black.

 

What I'm going to prove? They put these palettes according to the default color of the character himself/herself. I mean, Drake's default shirt is, in Uncharted 3, the green one. So they gave palette #1 to Nathan Drake in multiplayer.

Sully's default shirt is, in Uncharted 3, the red one. So they gave palette #2 to Victor Sullivan in multiplayer.

Elena's default shirt is, in Uncharted 3, the blue one. So they created a totally new palette for Elena, with blue being the very first option. That way, when seeing the characters list on the lobby, we would see Elena with her default, blue shirt. Cutter's default jeans are blue, so they gave him the same palette as Elena's shirt, because its first color is blue.

 

This is how it works, and this may explain why they're overrusing these two palettes.

There's a character having the red color as default one? Cutter, right? Fine, let's give him the palette #2. Anybody else? Oh, Schafer, he has the red. Let's give him the palette #2. Who else? Oh yes, Nepal Chloe, her shirt is red. Let's give her the palet...

 

...no.

 

Let's give her a totally new palette with even more bright colors!

 

 

THAT'S IT, you see? This is what I can't understand. Why some skins have an own palette, but others must share all the same boring one? Important characters too, like Drake, who had a different palette in the beta already. It just bugs me. Why are they so obsessed with giving the palette #1 almost to every customization pieces, when they could clearly gave the #2 which is more enjoyable?

 

Then that marvelous day came, and I bought Harry Flynn from the store... and I saw the heaven.

 

FLLLLYNNNN

 

Now what. Why Flynn has so TWO (well, kinda) rows of colors? Hey, different ones! There's only another white but I don't care, he has the most complete palette. His jeans have an own, perfect palette too.

 

And here comes my final suggestion, something that would just help you, Naughty Dog, to finally make us happy.

 

JUST - GIVE - FLYNN'S - PALETTE - TO - ALL - CUSTOMIZATION - PIECES.

 

 

Take a look with your own eyes and tell me if it's not the best way (I'm just skipping the second white which is useless):

 

 

Nathan Drake:

Drake

 

 

 

Elena Fisher:

Elena

 

 

 

Desert Drake:

Desert Drake

 

 

 

(More in spoilers)

 

Chloe Frazer:

 

Spoiler


Chloe

 

 

 

Nepal Chloe (hey, we have Borneo Chloe again! Or she doesn't fit into Uncharted 3 world?)

Spoiler
Nepal Chloe

 

 

Nepal Drake:

Spoiler
Nepal Drake

 

 

Reporter Elena (with that white being her default color we would have the REAL Reporter Elena, not that odd blue one that we have now)

Spoiler

Reporter Elena

 

 

Suited Drake:

Spoiler
Suited Drake

 

 

 

Victor Sullivan:

Spoiler

Victor Sullivan

 

 

 

Suited Sully:

Spoiler

 

Suited Sully

 

 

 

Young Sully:

Spoiler
Young Sully

 

 

 

Winter Chloe:

 

Spoiler
Winter Chloe

 

 

 

Winter Drake (if you could extend the jacket color area, instead of only that ridicolous small patch... it would make him more decent and I would play as him more too.)

Spoiler
Winter Drake

 

I'm suggesting to give everyone Flynn's colors just to try and "help you", so you wouldn't have to make too much work. But the first white must be replaced with the default color for every skin, even if that color is already available in the palette (green for Nathan Drake, brown for Nepal Drake, white for Reporter Elena, grey for Suited Sully...).

But if you want to make new palettes for characters who lack variety, we would just be happy.

 

 

 

Your move, Naughty Dog.


Message 1 of 511 (3,299 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 02/04/2009
Offline
350 posts
 

Re: Enough silly excuses. Just add Flynn's color palette to all characters.

Aug 17, 2012

I'm still waiting for the ever popular demanded Wetsuit Elena and Chloe, and speedo Donut Sully.

_____________________________
-Game is not broken. You just suck.-
Message 2 of 511 (3,284 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/10/2011
Offline
6261 posts
 

Re: Enough silly excuses. Just add Flynn's color palette to all characters.

Aug 17, 2012

Just to be clear ND, I'm playing as all black Salim right now, and I have his face mask on which is grey and completely conceals his face. Before that I had a Yeti in all black. How the heck are they easily distinguished as heroes?

http://oi48.tinypic.com/jfdnnp.jpg

Message 3 of 511 (3,263 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/25/2011
Offline
2322 posts
 

Re: Enough silly excuses. Just add Flynn's color palette to all characters.

Aug 17, 2012

I just don't understand ND sometimes, they say they don't want casual players to be confused by things such as colors, yet they include a ton of things that can confuse even a veteran player, especially now with Djinn being on both sides and being able to make your custom character look like Spyder(who's a hero).

Message 4 of 511 (3,251 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 08/22/2010
Offline
636 posts
 

Re: Enough silly excuses. Just add Flynn's color palette to all characters.

Aug 17, 2012

awesome i completly agree i hope this happens

Message 5 of 511 (3,232 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/12/2009
Offline
4780 posts
 

Re: Enough silly excuses. Just add Flynn's color palette to all characters.

Aug 17, 2012

tlousig2
Message 6 of 511 (3,212 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 06/30/2012
Offline
2179 posts
 

Re: Enough silly excuses. Just add Flynn's color palette to all characters.

Aug 17, 2012

 

WAT LUXIS SAID. And Purple.

Message 7 of 511 (3,206 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/29/2011
Offline
7119 posts
 

Re: Enough silly excuses. Just add Flynn's color palette to all characters.

[ Edited ]
Aug 17, 2012

not just flynns color palette but extensive color palettes for all characters

Sleep Matt signature
Message 8 of 511 (3,201 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 01/22/2010
Offline
242 posts
 

Re: Enough silly excuses. Just add Flynn's color palette to all characters.

Aug 17, 2012

im MEGAGLOKTICUS and i support this thread.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - MEGAGLOKTICUS"Decipher my name, and you'll know the true meaning of fear"- MEGAGLOKTICUS
Message 9 of 511 (3,187 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/29/2011
Offline
7119 posts
 

Re: Enough silly excuses. Just add Flynn's color palette to all characters.

Aug 17, 2012

MEGAGLOKTICUS wrote:

im MEGAGLOKTICUS and i support this thread.



MEGAGLOKTICUS wrote:

im MEGAGLOKTICUS and i support this thread.


you're not a major public figure...........

Sleep Matt signature
Message 10 of 511 (3,176 Views)
0 Likes