Highlighted
Mar 08 2013
By: CaptainProduce67 Wastelander 685 posts

Competitive matchmaking criteria...ND, are you listening?

[ Edited ]
21 replies 394 views Edited Mar 8, 2013

Order of precedence:

1. NEVER split a party.
  2. Base competitive matchups on competitive KDR (provided that there is enough data to determine - maybe some minimum number of matches played, total kills and deaths, or what have you).  If that minimum threshold is not met, then there would simply be a some default value assigned for the purposes of matchmaking.

It seems to me, that basing matchups on KDR rather than Rank would produce more balanced matches.  Two examples come to mind:

• New account players - skilled players that, for whatever reason, create new accounts.  Their Rank does not accurately reflect their skill level.
  • Predominantly coop players - again, Rank often doesn't necessarily reflect their competitive skill level - especially, if a player has ranked up mostly in co-operative.

NOTE:  KDR may already be factored into the matchmaking algorithm but when the subject comes up, it is never mentioned - just how rank affects matchups.  Anecdotally, it appears to me that Rank is the primary (if not, sole) factor in determining competitive matchups.

Message 1 of 22 (394 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Re: Competitive matchmaking criteria...ND, are you listening?

Mar 8, 2013

CaptainProduce67 wrote:

Order of precedence:

1. NEVER split a party.
  2. Base competitive matchups on competitive KDR (provided that there is enough data to determine - maybe some minimum number of matches played, total kills and deaths, or what have you).  If that minimum threshold is not met, then there would simply be a some default value assigned for the purposes of matchmaking.

It seems to me, that basing matchups on KDR rather than Rank would produce more balanced matches.  Two examples come to mind:

• New account players - skilled players that, for whatever reason, create new accounts.  Their Rank does not accurately reflect their skill level.
  • Predominantly coop players - again, Rank often doesn't necessarily reflect their competitive skill level - especially, if a player has ranked up mostly in co-operative.

NOTE:  KDR may already be factored into the matchmaking algorithm but when the subject comes up, it is never mentioned - just how rank affects matchups.  Anectodally, it appears to me that Rank is the primary (if not, sole) factor in determining competitive matchups.

Well, I plead guilty to that.

Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 2 of 22 (391 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Mar 8, 2013

Hopefully PS4 games will be tied to 1 PSN account. I'm tired of the alt shenanigans as well.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 3 of 22 (378 Views)
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Mar 8, 2013
Lol, that would suck for people pooling in money together to buy a ps4 in hopes of sharing it.
Hardcore Mode and Raffica enthusiast; former CEO of Obey Manufacturing, Los Santos, SA; Second Wave Agent specializing in medical training and CERA-JTF EMT
Message 4 of 22 (362 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4570 posts

Mar 8, 2013
No, they are not listening sorry.

SLB.png

Hi-5.png

Message 5 of 22 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Mar 8, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:
Lol, that would suck for people pooling in money together to buy a ps4 in hopes of sharing it.

Let's just say that you should pay $5 for each additional account...

That would keep most alts away. Most kids are too cheap to pay even a small fee.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 6 of 22 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Mar 8, 2013
Hopefully PSN would be in the Philippines by then.

Honestly there's no PSN cards here, and credit cards won't work.

I had to get a card out of the US to buy DLC. :/
Message 7 of 22 (328 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Mar 8, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:
Hopefully PSN would be in the Philippines by then.

Honestly there's no PSN cards here, and credit cards won't work.

I had to get a card out of the US to buy DLC. :/

There's also PayPal and Ebay.

Message 8 of 22 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10262 posts

Mar 8, 2013
Do they work internationally?
Message 9 of 22 (311 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Mar 8, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:
Do they work internationally?

Of course they do. They are global services.

Message 10 of 22 (303 Views)