Sackboy
365 posts

Re: ND: Make the TAU, you know, good.

[ Edited ]
Jul 19, 2012

tripleWRECK wrote

Eh, I use Daredevil with the Tau even now so it shouldn't that big of a deal. And if the Tau is more effective at killing, you won't waste as much ammo. At least in theory.

I would love to use the TAU sniper without having to equip the Daredevil booster, thank you very much. The increase to 18 bullets wasn't even enough, IMO. This "buff" is a buff and a nerf at the same time to me. I'm assuming the reason for the decrease in ammo was for balance purposes, but I don't see the online community gradually migrating over to it. We'll see how it plays out.

Message 121 of 129 (294 Views)
Fender Bender
3247 posts

Jul 19, 2012

StardustSpeedway wrote:

I would love to use the TAU sniper without having to equip the Daredevil booster, thank you very much. The increase to 18 bullets wasn't even enough, IMO. This "buff" is a buff and a nerf at the same time to me. I'm assuming the reason for the decrease in ammo was for balance purposes, but I don't see the online community gradually migrating over to it. We'll see how it plays out.

No I feel the same way, ideally it'd start with 24 ammo. In the end though I'd rather have a better weapon with less ammo than vice versa.

Message 122 of 129 (280 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7065 posts

Jul 19, 2012

Unneccessary RoF buff.... and less ammo. Plus no Scope Zoom Mod, the RoF mod is still useless (not that I want it to have a working RoF mod but it's still broken...), and you still can't shoot people sticking out of cover.

On top of that I'm not even sure how much ammo it's going to have because they said from 12 to 8, when it originally had 8 and now has 18. So there's a typo somewhere, but what I want to know is where's the typo? Did they mean lowered from 18 to 12? Or lowered from 18 to 8? It was never 12 so the inclusion of that number makes me think that's the actual new starting ammo which wouldn't be too bad but still unneccesarily low. Also I hope it doesn't become an issue with blindfire....

How they could've fixed it: Added Scope Zoom mod, can shoot enemies sticking out of cover, RoF mod removed altogether.

Message 123 of 129 (258 Views)
Sackboy
461 posts

Jul 19, 2012

xSKIN_N_BONESx wrote:

Unneccessary RoF buff.... and less ammo. Plus no Scope Zoom Mod, the RoF mod is still useless (not that I want it to have a working RoF mod but it's still broken...), and you still can't shoot people sticking out of cover.

On top of that I'm not even sure how much ammo it's going to have because they said from 12 to 8, when it originally had 8 and now has 18. So there's a typo somewhere, but what I want to know is where's the typo? Did they mean lowered from 18 to 12? Or lowered from 18 to 8? It was never 12 so the inclusion of that number makes me think that's the actual new starting ammo which wouldn't be too bad but still unneccesarily low. Also I hope it doesn't become an issue with blindfire....

How they could've fixed it: Added Scope Zoom mod, can shoot enemies sticking out of cover, RoF mod removed altogether.

Exactly how I would like it.   Smiley Happy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No more drastic nerfs please. Just buff the AK and buff the M9 *very slightly*headshot wise and we have achieved balance.

*Please note that I say "No more 'drastic' nerfs"* I am unopposed to a RoF MOD decrease or removal Smiley Happy
Message 124 of 129 (252 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Re: Dear ND: Make the TAU, you know, decent.

Jul 21, 2012

Hey, good news guys. The Tau will not be getting an ammo nerf after all!

Check out this thread! Part one of the patch notes have also been updated!

These aren't the buffs we had in mind, but hopefully this will at least make that Tau FNA a feasible dream now...

Message 125 of 129 (211 Views)
Fender Bender
3247 posts

Jul 21, 2012

Great news! Long live the Tau! XD

Message 126 of 129 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
217 posts

Jul 21, 2012
ND should instead balance the other important weapons, not the tau. The tau isn't great. It should be fixed last.
Message 127 of 129 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
338 posts

Jul 21, 2012

Pretty much yes to all of that. Why they would put a gun with next to no useful purpose in the game is beyond me. There is a reason why you see mostly newbies using it. At first glance it seems like a pretty great side arm and you go "cool a pistol with a scope". Then you use it and you want to shoot yourself in the face.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once more into the fray,
Into the last good fight I'll ever know,
I live and die on this day,
I live and die on this day.
Message 128 of 129 (165 Views)
Highlighted
Splicer
70 posts

Jul 25, 2012

I've just played a decent few hours playing with the Tau almost exclusively, and the gun isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. If you haven't used the gun before, then quite frankly, you're gonna be awful with it, struggling to get even a single kill. After a while, playing with the Tau, you start to get used to it, and it's much easier to get kills. While I love the look, and the feel of this gun, I'm not gonna lie, compared to the rest of the pack, this gun is pretty crap, although not as bad as some people make out.

One of the biggest problems that the OP adresses also, is the aim. The aim is mostly the reason many people can't kill with this gun; the scope is so clunky, and blocks out most of your view. While this maybe fine for a sniper loadout, which would encourage camping, the range of the Tau prohibits you from camping, making the scope useless (an issue i'll get onto in a second.) The design of the scope that appears on screen, also seems to be part of the problem, as the circular aim in the centre of the screen can obscure targets from view, leading to more problems while aiming. Also, an issue that was raised a while back (can't remember whom by), is that the aim on the Tau seems as though it only moves in a vertical, and horizontal fashion. It's hard to describe this, but if you aim the Tau, and then move the RAS in a circular motion, it seems to move in a square, which isn't such a big problem on the other scopes, where movement feels more fuid.

Secondly, the range of the pistol is the next biggest problem. The gun has "sniper" in its title, but it doesn't deserve the right. Its scope has practically 0 zoom like the OP has stated. While playing with the Tau, this became a problem because such guns like the M9, and AK, are better at range than the Tau, therefore I would get killed before I could even have a chance at a kill. The lack of effective zoom with the gun, makes it that the only practical way to get a kill is at medium range, a place where M9s, G-Mals, and other long guns dominate, making it nearly impossible to survive a one, on one gunfight. Infact, I found the only decent way of achieving a kill is when the enemy is in cover, and you are approaching from behind, or they are immobile.

Another issue which I found troublesome was the recoil. While this is probably quite realistic, it is not balanced along with other weapons. The aim takes too long to return to its original position, leaving time for an enemy to take cover. This further aggrivates the situation if you are attempting to long range with the weapon, as the player will appear smaller, the recoil will have a greater chance of taking the enemy out of your crosshairs, forcing you to adjust the aim if the player is stupid enough to stay in the same position that is. The Tau has around about the same strength of recoil as the Fal, but the fal returns to normal at about double the speed; even though the Fal has much more powerful shots, it makes shooting very tedious, and I'd rather ND increase the amount of shots to 4, just to keep the recoil down on this weapon.

While I won't go into detail about this as it is already being addressed, the RoF is too slow also, making it hard to kill people in an acceptable time frame.

The gun is in bad shape, but a few changes could make this weapon viable for usage in general combat. Firstly ND need to remove the Tau scope, and add in a normal reticule like the one the Para 9 has, or even a Shotgun one for those who think this will make the gun overpowered. The scope should be added as an R3 button press, and should have much more zoom, maybe a little more than the current G-Mal/Fal scope. Also, with the new scope, there should be smother movement, with no clunky aim adjustment; just give it a Dragon Sniper scope, and make it a little different, but either way, with no circle in the centre. Once the scope/aim has been adjusted, people will actually be able to use this gun properly, and there isn't a huge need to change it anymore really, as long as the scope addresses the zoom, and range issues. The RoF increase is already underway, and the final problem, which is starting ammo, needs to be addressed also, however, currently, I think it is just the right amount, and its best not to give it too much ammo.

Message 129 of 129 (124 Views)