Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 10 2013
By: lEvilDeadl Survivor 2678 posts

Free to Play. My thoughts...

29 replies 594 views Edited Mar 10, 2013

yesterday, after 6 months,  I returned to U3 to play a few games (I stopped playing in Sept.).  I had a lot of fun.  I had so much fun infact that I ended up playing for hours and hours.   Good times playing with some of you again...Hihi, tap, mbhitman, scotty7000, etc.   This game is actually fun when you don't play it everyday because the b.s. glitches that give you undeserved losses and whatnot don't matter.   Since I was playing on F2P, no stats at all counted so I had a blast just playing without worrying about all the other bs.  For those that don't know, if you play on Free to Play, no stats count.  You can't get wins, losses, kills, deaths, anything.   The only stat you can get is free losses from Removed from Game glitches. 

Now, Free to play itself.  As with most things Naughty Dog gets an A for effort and a D- for implementation.   The goal of free to play is to act as a demo, to convince players to purchase the full product.   It seems whoever made the decisions regarding Free to Play doesn't know what makes player want to purchase the full product.  The goal, just as with a drug dealer, is to get them addicted for free then charge them.   F2P, however, only goes to like level 15 or something.......a level that's easily attainable in like an hours' play time.  People do not become addicted to a video game in an hour.   The level cap should have been put at the original beta cap of 50 or the 2nd beta cap of 35.  This way new players could play longer and become addicted as well as get to experience some of the other guns, boosters and kickbacks that would increase their enjoyment with the game.......making them want to purchase it.   As it is, new players don't even get to use an M9 lol.   It's basically a demo of classic mode with the default AK while everybody else is using gold boosters, FALs and M9 RoFs.    Doesn't sound like much fun. 

Commercials.  They are ridiculous.  For those that don't know, by using Free to Play you must watch a 30 second commercial every single time you enter matchmaking, leave matchmaking or after every single match.   This means a person may have to watch 5 or 6 commercials before ever getting to play a game.   Since there are only like 4 commercials in rotation, this is truely annoying.   Hey Naughty Dog, the goal is to give the person a pleasurable experience as well as to get them addicted to the game.  Having to watch numerous commercials is annoying as hell, you fail.  You should have simply put a commercial every time the person loaded up the MP then maybe after every 10 games or so.  If you annoy players so badly that they quit after 20 minutes they're not going to be upgrading to the full version. 

Free to Play is pretty much a complete fail.  I would hazard to guess the amount of new players that upgrade to the full version is very, very few.   Most people who upgrade are probably veteran players like myself who just want to have the game on their HDD....which leads me to my next point.   F you Naughty Dog for your double dipping.  You finally put the ability to add the game to HDD but then want people to buy it again to do so.  You have the Free to Play MP demo online for free already.....if our game discs are in our disc drives then "upgrade" to the full version should be free since you know we've already purchased the game (PSN network does recognize what disc is in your drive).   Your goal should be getting money from new players buying the game, not double dipping to your veteran fanbase.  Since your implementation of F2P is not designed in the least to attract new players I can only assume this is mostly aimed at getting us players who have already purchased the game to purchase it again, basically charging us $20 to put the MP we already own on our HDD.  **bleep** move.

for those wondering, I'm using F2P because the bluray drive in my slim PS3 is effed.  It's dead.  My game disc just sits on a black screen with spinning ring for eternity when I try to load the game.   As such I loaded up F2P since it runs off the HDD because I was too lazy to switch PS3s and bring my launch system (that still works perfectly) into my Den to play on. 

Message 1 of 30 (594 Views)
Survivor
2678 posts

Re: Free to Play. My thoughts...

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2013

oh yeah, hey Scoot.....

I completely understood when you used to immediately quit plunder games against my T2gL team or when I was playing with my RUN! boys.....but doing so yesterday was just ridiculous.  We were a rag tag party of friends.  I had not even played this game in 6 months and suck a lot.  Some of the other guys hadn't played the game in 7 months.......  no need to quit as soon as the game starts.  Play it out and have some fun. 

Message 2 of 30 (589 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4825 posts

Mar 10, 2013
Hey, welcome back to Uncharted!

I agree I felt that they stuff it up in terms of implementation. The ads are really annoying unless you buy either the level unlock pack, the SP or the co-op adventure pack.

Also level 15 is definitely too low for F2P people, it should have been higher.

Anyway welcome back!
Message 3 of 30 (577 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
447 posts

Mar 10, 2013

lEvilDeadl wrote:

oh yeah, hey Scootgar.....

I completely understood when you used to immediately quit plunder games against my T2gL team or when I was playing with my RUN! boys.....but doing so yesterday was just ridiculous.  We were a rag tag party of friends.  I had not even played this game in 6 months and suck a lot.  Some of the other guys hadn't played the game in 7 months.......  no need to quit as soon as the game starts.  Play it out and have some fun. 

Pretty sure calling out players is against some rule.   On a side note,  me and some firends got destroyed by Run! yesterday.  It sucked.

I know you're looking at my posts GS2
Message 4 of 30 (536 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2678 posts

Mar 10, 2013

2nd post in this thread has been edited to remove a PSN id that could be construed as a "call out" (even though it doesn't really say anything negative about the person).  I have been playing U3 since the first day of the first beta and to the best of my knowledge there is nobody with the PSN id "Scoot" who plays the game or a person with the PSN id "Scoot" in general. 

Message 5 of 30 (528 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

Mar 10, 2013
I strongly agree that the lvl 15 cap is too low. I know its F2P and I appreciate that, but it doesn't make me want to buy the game when I'm constantly getting slaughtered by unrestricted players...

As for ads, I cannot express in words how much they annoy me. I can take some here and there, but how it is now is really pushing it to the point where I want to throw my PS3 out of the window... just these ads alone are enough to prevent me from supporting ND in buying anything
Message 6 of 30 (469 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2122 posts

Mar 10, 2013

Hi Evil!

I take it you took a leave of absense from the forums as well as the game. F2P has been discussed to death. You hit the nail on the head, describing all of our opinions, which is that ND really screwed the veterans on the "double dipping" thing.

I paid $10 for Coop Arena, to disable the ads. Still no XP and no stats. Just playing for fun.

Maybe now you wont be playing Madden 13 100% of the time :smileyhappy:

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 7 of 30 (450 Views)
Fender Bender
3872 posts

Mar 10, 2013

It's a shame we couldn't party up last night :'(

And he's still quitting? lol.

Message 8 of 30 (436 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2122 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 10, 2013

munnsy1 wrote:

It's a shame we couldn't party up last night :'(

And he's still quitting? lol.

Yeah Evil, I agree with Mono. Maybe you didnt mean to "call out" anyone, but it gives fools (see above) who arent as mature as you to a chance to have a dig. Its just not necessary. But of course you arent responsible for the behavior of every 16 year old on this forum.

--
Say NO to paid DLC maps
Message 9 of 30 (387 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Mar 10, 2013

Well, I've only played against Scoot once in UC3 Plunder and he didn't quit. It was a pretty intense match in Syria.

EvilDead must remember it...

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 10 of 30 (378 Views)
0 Likes