Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 06 2013
By: stayFROST-E Wastelander 698 posts

--Frosty's BLINDFIRE/HIPFIRE Fix--

20 replies 406 views Edited Jun 6, 2013

In order to preserve the use and proper purpose of blindfire and yet still nerf its effectiveness, ND needs to implement pain wobble while using blindfire.

Now, unlike pain wobble while aiming (which moves the camera), pain wobble for blindfire will go directly to the stats (see NOTE 4 and/or figure 1). By that, when a bullet strikes a person blindfiring, his/her blindfire accuracy stat would be significantly reduced for a very short amount of time. Specifically, for example, blindfire could be reduced 30% for .15 seconds (or to be adjusted appropriately), and then quickly regained.(*1) The following diagram should help to illustrate what I'm trying to say. This refers to the in-game stats of a blindfirer being shot at by a player ADS.

Figure 1

UC3 graph.png

**Black and orange lines are actual blindfire accuracy (by percent). Orange lines (filled in) indicate the blindfire accuracy at the moment when a bullet impacts the blindfirer, hollow orange lines just indicate a missed bullet (but when the bullet would have hit). Dark blue lines are what blindfire accuracy would have been pre-patch (no pain wobble). Keep in mind these figures are for illustrative purposes only, not for the actual patch (only because I don't know how these would affect game play). I did however choose   as good of values as I could; ones that I would think might actually work.

This works in two ways. First, it preserves the effectiveness and purpose of a legitimate time to blindfire. Which is either when an opponent is unaware of presence (blindfire allows for a quick and easy way to eliminate a target without sacrificing mobility or vigilance)(*2). Also, when you are surprised by a close target aiming at you, you can choose to blindfire and move in a diagonal direction to outmaneuver their line of fire (sacrificing accuracy for mobility)(*3). However, the effectiveness of this tactic would be inconsistent (depending on the accuracy of your opponent), which is the desired effect.

The important thing is that this only affects blindfirers when they are being shot. And unlike an increase in stopping power, this still allows the blindfirers movement which is what blindfire/hip fire is, and should be, used for (sacrificing accuracy for mobility). Now, if you can't hit a blindfirer then you should probably join them because I am not willing to kill than mechanic to make aiming easier.

What this tactic does defeat is blindfire rushers (to the extent of the competency of the player). At the current state of Uncharted 3, a player can almost just run strait at an opponent who is ADS and firing at them and still pull out a kill or the death of both. Using "Frosty's BLINDFIRE Fix," the blindfire rusher's blindfire accuracy would be reduced according to the accuracy of the aiming opponent, as well as his mobility (because of stopping power).

The more I play, the more I see this as a better alternative to an increase in stopping power or less mobility when blindfiring. This solution obviously isn't perfect, so suggestions/criticisms of any kind would be appreciated.  Oh, and ND only cares about support. So if this sounds like a good fix to blindfire, please SUPPORT!!! :smileyhappy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appendix (or something like that, maybe just good for reference)

(*1)           30% would come from the percentage already assigned to the weapon (although not every weapon will deal the same pain wobble, or receive it.. maybe). For example, if the AK-47 has a 40% BF accuracy, its BF accuracy would, for each bullet of a gun that deals 30% pain wobble, go to 28%, then 19.6%, then 13%. Keep in mind these figures are for illustrative purposes only, not actual stats. Also, the stats are assuming no time has passed. The BF accuracy lost will quickly be regained (over a fraction of a second, not sure how long yet). Now, because of this, BF rushing won't always be ineffective (just because the possibility is lower, it can still happen. Just like you could blindfire a Dragon twice and get a kill, it's just inconsistent). This makes BF rushing mostly ineffective and HIGHLY INCONSISTENT (which discourages players to use this as their go-to play style).

(*2)          I will add an example video as soon as I can.

(*3)          Here too, I will add an example video ASAP.

The "NOTES" are a compilation of related information about the nerf, basically anything that didn't seem to flow with the rest of the thread is in the following. However, they are all pretty relevant and important IMO.

NOTE 1: This opens up a world of possibility for nerfs/buffs. The AK-47 in some people's minds is underpowered, so a convenient buff would be in increase its capability to deal more pain wobble to those pesky blindfirers, making it a great weapon to combat BF in general (with its high stopping power too).

Along that same idea, (to nerf the Para-9) the micro could receive little to no blindfire pain wobble; making it a good alternative to the Para-9 for blindfire (because the Para-9 could have significant pain wobble, making it inconsistent at best for blindfire).

NOTE 2: Maybe not for UC3? Well then for UC4, because I feel it will try to capitalize on the potential that UC3 had by threw away with poor execution. Don't say "coding" because regardless, it will share similar mechanics.

NOTE 3: Recently I made another thread suggesting that ND set up a beta-style testing ground for the blindfire fix in The Lab playlist. It was suggested in the most recent Q&A and it got enough kudos to merit a response. However, I believe ND answer will be "No, technical difficulties." Now while this sounds like a cop-out, like usual (maybe), it's probably true. Upon further deliberation, I don't think it's possible to change one mode like that. On top of that, ND would essentially be trying to create six or seven different balanced patches for one problem. Do they have enough time for that? Probably not. I still like my idea, now I just don't think it's very practical at this point. Maybe I just still like it because I missed out on the UC3 betas. :smileysad: All in all, the pain wobble solution (that I came up with after that thread was in place) was my favorite. It has the least undesirable side effects and promotes the way in which blindfire should be used (IMO).

NOTE 4: This nerf could also be accompanied by a small/moderate camera shake for effect. Essentially it would be thrown to the side slightly upon each bullet impact. Because blindfire is auto-lock (and will stay that way) camera movement wouldn't take effect on the actual BF accuracy (assuming the target is within the auto-lock radius). However, I still would like to see camera sway/shake 1) for effect, and 2) and in-game it could cause a blindfirer to lose sight of his/her target.

NOTE 5: For an additional nerf, I would suggest a universal nerf on blindfire accuracy by 10%-15% (excluding the micro and KAL-7). The reason why I set it so low is because I don't think BF is that bad now. Most of the games I play now, the players are willing and able to aim. Also, having seen what ND did to the G-MAL, I think ND needs to learn to nerf in moderation. ND very well could reduce BF accuracy by 50 or 60%, and that would be a great loss IMO. Keep in mind, I don't like blindfire and only use it as necessary, but blindfire is as "Uncharted" as anything. It will stay, and it should. And it should be usable, just not as an effective play style.

NOTE 6: This nerf most certainly should have no effect in Co-op or Hunter modes.

Word count: 1314 (Dang, that's a four page essay right there). 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wipe that smile off your face and get your tryhard face on!!!

Worst speed test ever.png

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (406 Views)
Survivor
2178 posts

Re: --Frosty's BLINDFIRE/HIPFIRE Fix--

Jun 6, 2013

Well done sir, well done.

36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-jpBA.gif

If you think something is impossible, you’ll make it impossible.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
698 posts

Jun 6, 2013

Glad you like it. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (395 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9995 posts

Jun 6, 2013
I'll suggest that to the Q&A assuming there's another one bro.
Raffica user, Hardcore Mode player for life. Don't let it die! Obey Tailgater #1 sedan in GTA Online, too.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 21 (390 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
698 posts

Thanks, I just hope there is another Q&A.

Jun 6, 2013

Thanks, I just hope there is another Q&A. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1541 posts

Re: Thanks, I just hope there is another Q&A.

Jun 6, 2013

Whenever I see a graph in a post I can't help but think, "Oh my god, something important!" ^.^

Bang Bang!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 21 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
698 posts

Jun 6, 2013

Lol, that graph took quite a while to get working :smileytongue:. Maybe I'm just bad at Microsoft Word. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 21 (370 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Jun 6, 2013

I would like to see almost 100% stopping power in the forward direction. You shouldn't be able to run up to and blindfire kill someone that is aiming at you.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 21 (314 Views)
Survivor
2178 posts

Jun 6, 2013

Cherry_Ronde wrote:

I would like to see almost 100% stopping power in the forward direction. You shouldn't be able to run up to and blindfire kill someone that is aiming at you.

100% stopping power would make the player not move at all.

If you think something is impossible, you’ll make it impossible.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 21 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 7, 2013

Cherry_Ronde wrote:

Steven would like to have a word with you.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 21 (281 Views)