Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Re: Good players

[ Edited ]
Jan 10, 2014

Blennerville wrote:

egyptian_camel98 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

I replay games because like it and I want to just for Fun. I dont see why people go after red herring and or irrelevent Trophies.

It gives people something to do once they already beat the campaign. Most of the time, platinum is hard to get, so you feel accomplished after you achieve it. It's a challenge, which is what makes it so fun. I had a blast getting platinum in all UC games. 

I just dont get the point of it, grinding it out JUST for the sake of the trophy.

I can't talk from a platinumers point of view. I only have 6 of them. ( UC 1, 2, 3, InFAMOUS, Spec Ops: The Line and Mafia II) Maybe you should ask canadian94eh or HIhi2442. Aureilia too, but she already gave her opinion. They all have over 35 platinums from what their gamer card shows.

You see i'm different from you. I look at all these people with over 20 platinums and some form of respect comes out. I don't know why but whenever I see someone with lots of them, I kinda respect them. We are in a gaming environment and those guys dedicate their time to prove that they can go to the extremes.

2 player London Underground on crushing in 9m45s :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 71 of 83 (212 Views)
PlayStation MVP
6137 posts

Jan 11, 2014

canadian94eh wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

I also find people with Platinum Trophies extremely funny.

you trying to say something there buddy? :smileywink:

idk i like getting platinum trophies to challenge myself, not really to compete with anybody ... though saying that i haven't really meet anybody around the same amount as me other than on trophy related sites lol

and back on topic this "good player" topic is pretty subjective, there really isn't an accurate way to test if a player is good or not as everyone's definition of the term can be varied, thus leaving the entire decision totally based upon your own criteria ... my way is actually to play a few games with them, i've seen players be exceptional for both the best and for the worst (do a lot better than their stats suggest (improved greatly since they started playing, etc...) and play terrible for what their stats suggest (dependent on other players to get their stats higher, etc... ) )

i also saw that SteepMatt didn't think he was that great a few posts back o.O (sorry i'm a little late to the thread lol) ... but back when we played 3TDM together i thought we made a hell of a good team, granted we both had our off games, but usually i felt i was competing more with you on who would get the kills rather than worrying about how many kills the other teams were getting :smileylol:

Whoa really?? that's a completely new one on me. Never heard that. I'm honored!!!

Sleep Matt signature
Please use plain text.
Message 72 of 83 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2135 posts

Jan 11, 2014

egyptian_camel98 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

egyptian_camel98 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

I replay games because like it and I want to just for Fun. I dont see why people go after red herring and or irrelevent Trophies.

It gives people something to do once they already beat the campaign. Most of the time, platinum is hard to get, so you feel accomplished after you achieve it. It's a challenge, which is what makes it so fun. I had a blast getting platinum in all UC games. 

I just dont get the point of it, grinding it out JUST for the sake of the trophy.

I can't talk from a platinumers point of view. I only have 6 of them. ( UC 1, 2, 3, InFAMOUS, Spec Ops: The Line and Mafia II) Maybe you should ask canadian94eh or HIhi2442. Aureilia too, but she already gave her opinion. They all have over 35 platinums from what their gamer card shows.

You see i'm different from you. I look at all these people with over 20 platinums and some form of respect comes out. I don't know why but whenever I see someone with lots of them, I kinda respect them. We are in a gaming environment and those guys dedicate their time to prove that they can go to the extremes.

well obviously i can't speak for everybody, but i guess it's the same as having an in-game feat but having it carry over from game to game (proof of a task completion such as beat the game on the hardest difficulty for everybody to see (which i'm very proud of with Killzone 2 btw, it was so freaking hard!)) or liking a game so much that you want to explore / complete everything it has to offer, so most of the trophies come naturally ...

me personally i am a completionist, don't ask me why because i really don't know, i've been like this since drake's fortune, all i want to do when i get a new game is go for the platinum and challenge myself to get it (first playthrough is for fun though) ... but oddly enough my favourite type of trophies are collectible trophies (which a lot of people hate), something about looking in every nook and cranny excites me, be it finding interesting collectibles like uncharted's unique looking treasures or a cool easter egg ... it has ultimately made me a better gamer, since i not only don't miss much on a first playthrough of a game but i can scan a room quickly and easily which helps greatly with playing people online and finding the campers or any traps

did i set out to have the most trophies? no, that's ridiculous. did i know that i would eventually get this amount of platinum trophies (currently: 89 with an average percentage of 83% including DLC (i rarely go for DLC either))? no, i just enjoyed one game after the next (yes, i enjoy getting trophies :smileytongue:) do i only play easy games? no, i do have some games that i'm ashamed of playing with my little sister because they're so easy, but i also have a lot of really difficult ones too that i'm quite proud of and i can look back upon and can pat myself on the back for :smileywink: do i ever not platinum a game? yes!! if the game is impossible or i hate playing it all together (such as ICO, i could not force myself to play the game after my first playthrough, the trophies were easy enough but the game was just so bad!)

if that makes me messed up for enjoying some of the things that come with getting trophies or achievements than i guess i'm just going to have to accept that :smileyhappy: but i can't be the only one, because they are thousands upon thousands of people who go for trophies in one form or the other ... btw uncharted is my ideal platinum, since it's not too easy, not too hard (i feel like i'm done with getting games with insanely hard trophies!) they have collectibles, a few miscellaneous trophies, it's perfect! especially when the game itself is so enjoyable ... i don't know if i answered the question or made it a little easier to understand, i was kind of going everywhere with this post :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 73 of 83 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2135 posts

Jan 11, 2014

SteepMatt wrote:

canadian94eh wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

I also find people with Platinum Trophies extremely funny.

you trying to say something there buddy? :smileywink:

idk i like getting platinum trophies to challenge myself, not really to compete with anybody ... though saying that i haven't really meet anybody around the same amount as me other than on trophy related sites lol

and back on topic this "good player" topic is pretty subjective, there really isn't an accurate way to test if a player is good or not as everyone's definition of the term can be varied, thus leaving the entire decision totally based upon your own criteria ... my way is actually to play a few games with them, i've seen players be exceptional for both the best and for the worst (do a lot better than their stats suggest (improved greatly since they started playing, etc...) and play terrible for what their stats suggest (dependent on other players to get their stats higher, etc... ) )

i also saw that SteepMatt didn't think he was that great a few posts back o.O (sorry i'm a little late to the thread lol) ... but back when we played 3TDM together i thought we made a hell of a good team, granted we both had our off games, but usually i felt i was competing more with you on who would get the kills rather than worrying about how many kills the other teams were getting :smileylol:

Whoa really?? that's a completely new one on me. Never heard that. I'm honored!!!

really no one has ever said that? i guess i caught you at your best or do you just play with a lot of mean people? :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 74 of 83 (154 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
800 posts

Jan 11, 2014
The main reason I continue to be a "Trophy Hunter" is because the very notion of getting all of the trophies in a game requires a certain amount of determination. Sure, some games are super easy to platinum but there are hard ones as well. It's one thing to say that I completed all 800+ VR missions in MGS2. It's another thing to have that particular trophy as proof. So basically I like the ability to display my gaming accomplishments and trophies are an easy way to do so.
Please use plain text.
Message 75 of 83 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2660 posts

Jan 11, 2014
dont get me wrong, ive nothing against trophies or trying to do better and better and go quicker and quicker if you get enjoyment out of playing it again and its not just grinding.

like for example say going through a mgs with no kills or something or going through it fast provided you enjoy that.

I just dont see why somebody would do a no kill run just for a trophie if they didnt enjoy it at all and get fustrated or if a trophie just had some random and laborious requirement.

take the CO-OP adventure - i finished each of them a few times and I had got my enjoyment out of them, there was no more reason for me to play them again. I have no interest in grinding just to get a star.

Ive nothing against people if they wana waste their time doing such things,

I see some of the same patterns in grinding trophies as I do in worrying about KDR, stats and stuff which i see as just obsession.

Please use plain text.
Message 76 of 83 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
12642 posts

Jan 12, 2014

kratos_snake__ wrote:
The main reason I continue to be a "Trophy Hunter" is because the very notion of getting all of the trophies in a game requires a certain amount of determination. Sure, some games are super easy to platinum but there are hard ones as well. It's one thing to say that I completed all 800+ VR missions in MGS2. It's another thing to have that particular trophy as proof. So basically I like the ability to display my gaming accomplishments and trophies are an easy way to do so.

Even as someone who does get some platinums. I'd have to say no to a trophy like that. I just couldn't.

I don't mind something hard but 800 missions looks like a grinding trophy. I try not to do those unless they wont take me too long.

Please use plain text.
Message 77 of 83 (101 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
800 posts

Jan 12, 2014
^ The missions themselves are not particularly long but there are certain requirements in each mission type. Things such as no lethal weapons, not being spotted, a time limit, and being extremely precise with everything you do. If it wasn't for my love of MGS, I would have said screw it once it started getting difficult lol
Please use plain text.
Message 78 of 83 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
12642 posts

Jan 12, 2014

kratos_snake__ wrote:
^ The missions themselves are not particularly long but there are certain requirements in each mission type. Things such as no lethal weapons, not being spotted, a time limit, and being extremely precise with everything you do. If it wasn't for my love of MGS, I would have said screw it once it started getting difficult lol

Yeah I looked at it and thought that immediately. I'll try MGS 3 though :smileytongue:

I assume you got that one too, does it matter if you jump into enemies for the idea of not killing them for a trophy? or do you have to get around them completely?

Please use plain text.
Message 79 of 83 (90 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
800 posts

Jan 12, 2014
^ The only time I advise rolling into an enemy is to just knock him on the ground so you can run past him without getting the infamous "!" Comes in very handy :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 80 of 83 (68 Views)
0 Likes