105 posts

Re: Good players

Jan 10, 2014

Aureilia wrote:

egyptian_camel98 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

egyptian_camel98 wrote:

Andrew_Coolog wrote:

The secret is in the Win/Loss ratio. Not the Kill/Death Ratio imo.

I disagree. All WLR tells you is how much you play in parties. It has nothing to do with 'how good a player is'. 

KDR does that too. Just in the opposite direction. Play without parties, own n00bs alone - High KDR

Neither are really a measure of how good someone is, WLR can tell how good you play in a party though while KDR just tells how much someone leeches n00b kills.

I can agree to a certain extent, but I'd also like to ask you a question.

You're playing alone right now and you run into 3 other 'good' players and the rest are F2P.

Player 1 has a 1.90 KDR but an 8.00 WLR
Player 2 has a 3.50 KDR but a 2.00 WLR

Player 3 is on your team to make it even, dont worry about his stats

I know it usually depends on who the person is, but typically, which opponent will end up being the better player and which one will you have a bigger challenge against? 

KDR does tell us when we see a good player, but it does only to a certain extent. I always have more of a challenge with 1.75-4.00 KDR players than I do with 4.00+ Players (They're always too busy camping because they're worried about their stats). But I dunno, I guess that this is my opinion and my opinion might not match everyone else's.

To shorten everything I said, sure, I agree. Both WLR and KDR are inaccurate when it comes to who's a 'good player' and who's not but in the end KDR does a better job at it. (imo of course)

I don't even think any of them do a good job.

For example. If I play on my own my KDR goes up in a massive way because I'm not held back by the idea of teamwork. I know I pretty much have to go out there and do everything myself.

Quite often.. Because of how I operate in a team based environment I do well against the good players because they are also playing in a similar style to what I'm using. The old slow, map control idea which is used by a lot of good players is something I like to use.

I'd still rate WLR as more important than KDR. My KDR sucks I know. I sacrifice my KDR to play as part of a team. If I wanted to improve my KDR I'd play alone and take more losses.

Truth is KDR isn't important to me, for example Plunder or Team Objective, I'd take anyone who gets unluckies and loads of points/captures over someone who has a high KDR and minimal captures.

It seems to be the case with all players with high KDR's that you put them in a more extreme based team mode and they do nothing to help. They seem to be.. "What? I have to help you in this circle or move that treasure?" "You must be joking. I wont sacrifice my in game life for my team"

Sure it's beneficial to not die in TDM. But I'd say it's even more important to mark up those players, take your death and let your teammates deal with it.

I've not yet come across one player who had a high KDR and was even much better than me. I'm not great by any means these days But all I ever see is people who have high KDR's. walk in, get killed and quit.

Yeah my KDR is lower than theirs because I actually take my bad games too. About 2 years ago or so I'd leave if I saw a bad game coming. Now I really don't see what that achieves apart from making my stats look better than they are, My stats are not important to me, as someone who prefers WLR.. My value to the team is more important to me.

Doesn't happen often. Last week I went 3-9 or something. Someone with a 2+ KDR would have quit at 3 deaths most likely. Not all do but I very rarely see one stay.

As for the Red players, My first reaction to them would be (Rage Quitters)

Fair enough, I guess it all comes down to personal opinion. Also, saying that you'd rather take a noob who does all 5 caps then a player who kill farms made me think, it also depends on what game mode you're playing. you don't need to be a 'good player' to walk the idol to the treasure chest. 

You seem to make me think that whenever any good player runs into another and dies a couple of times, they quit. I know that people do that, but not as often as you speak. Then again, I'm talking from a lone wolfs point of view while you play in parties so I see your point. I played a couple of matches with you guys and there was lots of quits in every single game. 

I rarely quit out of any games. I'll literally only quit if I'm playing a 1v4/5 or if I play the god awful dodgeball.

When I'm playing in a party w/ friends, I'll never leave, even if the biggest pile of BS happens. Only morons ditch their teammates behind, they're even bigger morons if the people they leave behind are their so called 'friends'.

I learned my lesson from lonewolfing anyways. I like to win and I try to win while carrying the team and no matter how hard I try, I always lose. 37 kills wasn't enough and 40 kills brought us to overtime (two seperate games). 40/50 kills from one player only and we go into overtime?

I haven't been on the game in a couple of days and when I do return, I'll play co-op. I don't care about competitive, it's suicide without a team. FFA has way too many people and I always get shot in the back.

I'm tired of losing to players because of my teammates when I deserved the win. 

2 player London Underground on crushing in 9m45s Smiley Happy
Message 61 of 83 (375 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1099 posts

Jan 10, 2014
CaptainProduce had a decent idea which I would like to piggyback off of.

First, I think the leaderboards should remain gone. I have a few ideas in mind that I believe could make them work. But they caused more harm than good how they used to be.

As far as stat cards, I think there should be additional info added. It states the number of kills along with the number of headshots. Which ultimately gives a way to form a percentage of headshot kills.

I think the same thing should be done with power weapon kills. The total number of PW related deaths should be listed too.

I also think the stat card should have the persons average party info. Basically, it would look like this:

Lone wolf: 17%
Po2: 14%
Po3: 39%
Po4: 12%
Po5: 18%

This would allow other players to see what tactics those high KDR players really use. It's one thing to see them camp and farm PWs in game, but it's another to see it on paper.

I believe this would further add to the number of people who decide to give up on stat padding.

I understand that no matter what ND implements, people will still manage to find a way to boost kills and stat pad.

Anyway, these are just a couple ideas I've had floating around in my head for a while.
Message 62 of 83 (362 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

Jan 10, 2014

egyptian_camel98 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

canadian94eh wrote:

Blennerville wrote:
wouldnt it be funny if there wer no stats at all in UC4, just think about it, people would have nothing to play for, it would be so funny.

ya but a game needs to have some sort of competitive nature otherwise it won't last that long, especially not for longer than 2 years! if nobody has anything to achieve anymore than they will have trouble playing the game afterwards (in a general sense) in terms of a shooter it's really hard to find something to be competitive about other than stats

when people talk about KDR and throw out numbers, I just find it so funny (and sad).

I also find people with Platinum Trophies extremely funny.

this gen, its all very amusing to me, people these days are just so funny.

i played Vice City and San Andreas for years just for the fun of it back in the day LOL Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

There is nothing wrong with Platinuming games. It's a hobby, It gives you a challenge and something to do when playing a game, especially if its only a single player game with no MP like UC1. 

I played The Last of Us and it had simply an amazing campaign. I am going to eventually go back and platinum the game. Hell, if it wasn't for UC3, I would've already platinumed it.

I replay games because like it and I want to just for Fun. I dont see why people go after red herring and or irrelevent Trophies.

Message 63 of 83 (348 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 10, 2014

canadian94eh wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

you trying to say something there buddy? Smiley Wink

no, I didnt know you had em but now that you have told me i find it very amusing LOL

Na

Message 64 of 83 (343 Views)
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Jan 10, 2014

Blennerville wrote:

I replay games because like it and I want to just for Fun. I dont see why people go after red herring and or irrelevent Trophies.

It gives people something to do once they already beat the campaign. Most of the time, platinum is hard to get, so you feel accomplished after you achieve it. It's a challenge, which is what makes it so fun. I had a blast getting platinum in all UC games. 

Message 65 of 83 (338 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14263 posts

Jan 10, 2014

egyptian_camel98 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

egyptian_camel98 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

egyptian_camel98 wrote:

Andrew_Coolog wrote:

The secret is in the Win/Loss ratio. Not the Kill/Death Ratio imo.

I disagree. All WLR tells you is how much you play in parties. It has nothing to do with 'how good a player is'. 

KDR does that too. Just in the opposite direction. Play without parties, own n00bs alone - High KDR

Neither are really a measure of how good someone is, WLR can tell how good you play in a party though while KDR just tells how much someone leeches n00b kills.

I can agree to a certain extent, but I'd also like to ask you a question.

You're playing alone right now and you run into 3 other 'good' players and the rest are F2P.

Player 1 has a 1.90 KDR but an 8.00 WLR
Player 2 has a 3.50 KDR but a 2.00 WLR

Player 3 is on your team to make it even, dont worry about his stats

I know it usually depends on who the person is, but typically, which opponent will end up being the better player and which one will you have a bigger challenge against? 

KDR does tell us when we see a good player, but it does only to a certain extent. I always have more of a challenge with 1.75-4.00 KDR players than I do with 4.00+ Players (They're always too busy camping because they're worried about their stats). But I dunno, I guess that this is my opinion and my opinion might not match everyone else's.

To shorten everything I said, sure, I agree. Both WLR and KDR are inaccurate when it comes to who's a 'good player' and who's not but in the end KDR does a better job at it. (imo of course)

I don't even think any of them do a good job.

For example. If I play on my own my KDR goes up in a massive way because I'm not held back by the idea of teamwork. I know I pretty much have to go out there and do everything myself.

Quite often.. Because of how I operate in a team based environment I do well against the good players because they are also playing in a similar style to what I'm using. The old slow, map control idea which is used by a lot of good players is something I like to use.

I'd still rate WLR as more important than KDR. My KDR sucks I know. I sacrifice my KDR to play as part of a team. If I wanted to improve my KDR I'd play alone and take more losses.

Truth is KDR isn't important to me, for example Plunder or Team Objective, I'd take anyone who gets unluckies and loads of points/captures over someone who has a high KDR and minimal captures.

It seems to be the case with all players with high KDR's that you put them in a more extreme based team mode and they do nothing to help. They seem to be.. "What? I have to help you in this circle or move that treasure?" "You must be joking. I wont sacrifice my in game life for my team"

Sure it's beneficial to not die in TDM. But I'd say it's even more important to mark up those players, take your death and let your teammates deal with it.

I've not yet come across one player who had a high KDR and was even much better than me. I'm not great by any means these days But all I ever see is people who have high KDR's. walk in, get killed and quit.

Yeah my KDR is lower than theirs because I actually take my bad games too. About 2 years ago or so I'd leave if I saw a bad game coming. Now I really don't see what that achieves apart from making my stats look better than they are, My stats are not important to me, as someone who prefers WLR.. My value to the team is more important to me.

Doesn't happen often. Last week I went 3-9 or something. Someone with a 2+ KDR would have quit at 3 deaths most likely. Not all do but I very rarely see one stay.

As for the Red players, My first reaction to them would be (Rage Quitters)

Fair enough, I guess it all comes down to personal opinion. Also, saying that you'd rather take a noob who does all 5 caps then a player who kill farms made me think, it also depends on what game mode you're playing. you don't need to be a 'good player' to walk the idol to the treasure chest. 

You seem to make me think that whenever any good player runs into another and dies a couple of times, they quit. I know that people do that, but not as often as you speak. Then again, I'm talking from a lone wolfs point of view while you play in parties so I see your point. I played a couple of matches with you guys and there was lots of quits in every single game. 

I rarely quit out of any games. I'll literally only quit if I'm playing a 1v4/5 or if I play the god awful dodgeball.

When I'm playing in a party w/ friends, I'll never leave, even if the biggest pile of BS happens. Only morons ditch their teammates behind, they're even bigger morons if the people they leave behind are their so called 'friends'.

I learned my lesson from lonewolfing anyways. I like to win and I try to win while carrying the team and no matter how hard I try, I always lose. 37 kills wasn't enough and 40 kills brought us to overtime (two seperate games). 40/50 kills from one player only and we go into overtime?

I haven't been on the game in a couple of days and when I do return, I'll play co-op. I don't care about competitive, it's suicide without a team. FFA has way too many people and I always get shot in the back.

I'm tired of losing to players because of my teammates when I deserved the win. 

Well it doesn't happen often on your team. I've played with you. I saw a lot of ragequits on the other teams Smiley Tongue You probably aren't paying much attention to the quits going on, you are busy killing everything.

I actually used to leave if I thought it would help my team if I wasn't there. That all changed when after a long time I started seeing a trend. If someone leaves it's almost 100% certain that someone a 100 times worse will join.

Fortunately I don't really play badly enough for it to even matter anymore. You know when you have a player going 1-15 or something.. You are just thinking.. LEAVE ALREADY! Back then I'd oblige.. Now.. I've learnt how to not do that badly, strategy to counter getting owned and usually will end up going positive or close to it no matter what.

From the amount that I actually see. The matches I play in about 8 out of 10 will start with 5 players and end up with a total of about 8-9 players in them if they are "good" players.

This is no joke. Monday I was playing some lab. I see a player with 120000+ kills and 20000 or so deaths. Match starts. I got all the n00bs and he had some okay, average style players. I killed him about 3 times, and some of his team, took a decent lead, one player on my team left, and the high KDR guy left.

About 30 seconds later we get a late joiner. The high KDR guy on our side. he proceeds to get a rampant.

n00bs stay around and take beatings usually.. Like men.

Message 66 of 83 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14263 posts

Jan 10, 2014

Also as for this Platinum trophy argument.

If I went out of my way I'd have a lot more. I'll only platinum a game I found to be awesome. My platinum trophy list is a respect meter for developers more or less.

Message 67 of 83 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2689 posts

Jan 10, 2014

egyptian_camel98 wrote:

Blennerville wrote:

It gives people something to do once they already beat the campaign. Most of the time, platinum is hard to get, so you feel accomplished after you achieve it. It's a challenge, which is what makes it so fun. I had a blast getting platinum in all UC games. 

I just dont get the point of it, grinding it out JUST for the sake of the trophy.

Message 68 of 83 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1311 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 10, 2014

Blennerville wrote:

canadian94eh wrote:

Blennerville wrote:
wouldnt it be funny if there wer no stats at all in UC4, just think about it, people would have nothing to play for, it would be so funny.

ya but a game needs to have some sort of competitive nature otherwise it won't last that long, especially not for longer than 2 years! if nobody has anything to achieve anymore than they will have trouble playing the game afterwards (in a general sense) in terms of a shooter it's really hard to find something to be competitive about other than stats

when people talk about KDR and throw out numbers, I just find it so funny (and sad).

this gen, its all very amusing to me, people these days are just so funny.

i played Vice City and San Andreas for years just for the fun of it back in the day LOL Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

My stats are exremely pathethic, but I've been checking on them and mentioning them lately to my splitscreen buddy because I have a certain number I want to get to.  Now he's been infected with the sickness!  He didn't want to play on his account the other night (we do a tag team thing, getting into splitscreen is tedious these days) because HIS stats were getting ruined.

Stats are an addictive thing, you go in not caring, then you start to care a little bit, before you know it you're raging about all the stupid assists aarrrrggghh!!!

The trophy and stat tracking were genious on the part of Microsoft and Sony.

Edit:

"n00bs stay around and take beatings usually.. Like men."  Aureilia

I know right?  It's constant pounding game after game.  Makes me happy though to see so many new people playing, plus their fortitude is admirable.  I really wish I was a better mentor to these guys, honestly though it's the blind leading the blind.Smiley Sad

Message 69 of 83 (315 Views)
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Jan 10, 2014

Aureilia wrote:
Well it doesn't happen often on your team. I've played with you. I saw a lot of ragequits on the other teams Smiley Tongue You probably aren't paying much attention to the quits going on, you are busy killing everything.

I actually used to leave if I thought it would help my team if I wasn't there. That all changed when after a long time I started seeing a trend. If someone leaves it's almost 100% certain that someone a 100 times worse will join.

Fortunately I don't really play badly enough for it to even matter anymore. You know when you have a player going 1-15 or something.. You are just thinking.. LEAVE ALREADY! Back then I'd oblige.. Now.. I've learnt how to not do that badly, strategy to counter getting owned and usually will end up going positive or close to it no matter what.

From the amount that I actually see. The matches I play in about 8 out of 10 will start with 5 players and end up with a total of about 8-9 players in them if they are "good" players.

This is no joke. Monday I was playing some lab. I see a player with 120000+ kills and 20000 or so deaths. Match starts. I got all the n00bs and he had some okay, average style players. I killed him about 3 times, and some of his team, took a decent lead, one player on my team left, and the high KDR guy left.

About 30 seconds later we get a late joiner. The high KDR guy on our side. he proceeds to get a rampant.

n00bs stay around and take beatings usually.. Like men.

Yeah, I didn't mean lots of RQ's on our team, I mean't the opponents. It was just crazy, most quits that I've ever seen. I guess people just get intimidated by all the 75's they see.

You know, it's kinda funny. You say people who late join are most likely going to be worse and I can see that, but everytime there is a pretty even match (tie score) and someone leaves, I can almost predict that a better player will late join on the other team and ruin the balance of the match, tipping the odds to the other team's favour.

I don't even care when someone on my team goes 1-15 anywmore. I got used to it, it happens in every match. Actually, most of the time, on my team, its 3 people who get a similiar score, 1 'under average' player and me.

Any lone wolf that isn't facing a party and RQ's isn't a good player. Chances are that there won't more than 2 good players that he'll face. He can't cope with a couple of good players so he quits? Also, anyone who quits while playing in a party vs party is even worse.

I would say to make quits count for more than just a loss, but I already know that that's a bad idea with all the party splits, lag outs and host quitting that happens.

Message 70 of 83 (296 Views)
0 Likes