Reply
Mar 29 2013
By: Matthijs_17 Fender Bender 3654 posts
Offline
Accepted Solution

HDD problems... (question answered, thread can be closed)

[ Edited ]
14 replies 359 views Edited Apr 2, 2013

first of all: this is not uncharted related, but I post here often and I know most people are here and the off-topic forums is as dead as it can be, and I really need your help here...

 

so, UC3 freezed so much that it caused my ps3 to break, so I had to buy a new one... so I went to the store and bhought a 500gb extra slim ps3 + uc3 gotye + gran turismo ae bundle...

 

things I did:

- hooked it up to the internet, downloaded the system update, signed up for playstation network with my old account Matthijs_17, synced throphies

- played Tomb Raider, downloaded title update (88mb), finished the single player (it was awesome), then played a couple of multiplayer matches (good, but nothing really special)

- then I played Uncharted 2, downloaded patch 1.09 (258mb) and some installing stuff (219mb), finished the single player again, played some multiplayer matches with friends

- then I had some router problems, so my ps3 is currently disconnected from the internet

- so I played Uncharted 3 (not the game of the year edition, used my old disc), it had to install something I guess, because I see at the game data 451 kb, then I played the single player again (had some issues btw I didn't experience on my 40gb fat ps3, it wasn't so smooth as usual, the screen sometimes shocked a little, don't know how to descibe it)

 

ok, and now comes the problem: I wanted to play ratchet and clank: tools of destruction again, so I put in the disc, and then it says: not enough space, 419 mb is needed for installing the game (something like that), I bhought a 500gb ps3, how can I not have enough space for that game? I hadn't this problem on my 40gb fat ps3...

 

I checked game data, it has used around 565 mb, and saved data is around 829 kb, on top of that I send and received a couple of messages, let's say around 25, but I guess that doesn't take much space...

 

then I deleted UC3 and UC2, and then I could install Ratchet and Clank and play it, so it is not a disc problem...

 

so, my 500gb extra slim ps3 is still disconnected from the internet, I used not more than 570mb of space, it is not a disc problem because it works after deleting some stuff, so what is going on? I think of 2 problems:

 

- in the box was accidently put a 12GB ps3, but still, I assume even a 12GB ps3 has no problems with 570mb of space and then installing 419, that's not even 1gb in total...

- somehow a internet connection is required for it (cloud saving or something?)

 

I don't really have any know-how about the technical things, so hopefully you guys have any idea what is going on! Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 15 (359 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 07/04/2012
Offline
741 posts
 

Re: HDD problems...

Mar 29, 2013
Wait if the ps3 you got was a 12 Gb can't you return it and trade it for a 500 gb that your supposed to have?
Message 2 of 15 (354 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 07/04/2012
Offline
741 posts
 

Re: HDD problems...

Mar 29, 2013
By the way if you scroll all the way to the left you can click something I think it says system settings and system info and it'll tell you the total memory and how much is available
Message 3 of 15 (351 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 07/04/2012
Offline
741 posts
 

Re: HDD problems...

Mar 29, 2013
And if you can't return it no matter what you can buy a separate hard disk drive and insert It yourself into your ps3
Message 4 of 15 (348 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/21/2011
Offline
2402 posts
 

Re: HDD problems...

Mar 29, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

first of all: this is not uncharted related, but I post here often and I know most people are here and the off-topic forums is as dead as it can be, and I really need your help here...

 

so, UC3 freezed so much that it caused my ps3 to break, so I had to buy a new one... so I went to the store and bhought a 500gb extra slim ps3 + uc3 gotye + gran turismo ae bundle...

 

things I did:

- hooked it up to the internet, downloaded the system update, signed up for playstation network with my old account Matthijs_17, synced throphies

- played Tomb Raider, downloaded title update (88mb), finished the single player (it was awesome), then played a couple of multiplayer matches (good, but nothing really special)

- then I played Uncharted 2, downloaded patch 1.09 (258mb) and some installing stuff (219mb), finished the single player again, played some multiplayer matches with friends

- then I had some router problems, so my ps3 is currently disconnected from the internet

- so I played Uncharted 3 (not the game of the year edition, used my old disc), it had to install something I guess, because I see at the game data 451 kb, then I played the single player again (had some issues btw I didn't experience on my 40gb fat ps3, it wasn't so smooth as usual, the screen sometimes shocked a little, don't know how to descibe it)

 

ok, and now comes the problem: I wanted to play ratchet and clank: tools of destruction again, so I put in the disc, and then it says: not enough space, 419 mb is needed for installing the game (something like that), I bhought a 500gb ps3, how can I not have enough space for that game? I hadn't this problem on my 40gb fat ps3...

 

I checked game data, it has used around 565 mb, and saved data is around 829 kb, on top of that I send and received a couple of messages, let's say around 25, but I guess that doesn't take much space...

 

then I deleted UC3 and UC2, and then I could install Ratchet and Clank and play it, so it is not a disc problem...

 

so, my 500gb extra slim ps3 is still disconnected from the internet, I used not more than 570mb of space, it is not a disc problem because it works after deleting some stuff, so what is going on? I think of 2 problems:

 

- in the box was accidently put a 12GB ps3, but still, I assume even a 12GB ps3 has no problems with 570mb of space and then installing 419, that's not even 1gb in total...

- somehow a internet connection is required for it (cloud saving or something?)

 

I don't really have any know-how about the technical things, so hopefully you guys have any idea what is going on! Smiley Sad


This is a problem with Tools Of Destruction. The game will say that you don't have enough space even though there is plenty. I had that once and I hat to format my PS3 :/ Well it was my first real game so I didn't mind since there was nothing on my HDD. This issue has never been patched. You might want to look on the internet to see if there is another fix than formatting your PS3.

Message 5 of 15 (339 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/21/2011
Offline
2402 posts
 

Re: HDD problems...

Mar 29, 2013

Just checked the internet, The problem seems to be that you have too much free space. Try installing some more heavy games and try it again Smiley Tongue. If you have Quest for Booty play that one first. It installs 4GB to your HDD. If it still doesn't work continue to play other games first.

Message 6 of 15 (337 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/21/2011
Offline
2402 posts
 

Re: HDD problems...

Mar 29, 2013

Sorry for the triple post but do you have the 500GB or the 12GB? If it's a 12GB I recommend going back to the store now and swap it. The 500GB is more expensive so they scammed you too.

Message 7 of 15 (335 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/13/2009
Offline
1011 posts
 

Re: HDD problems...

Mar 29, 2013

Hielke6991 wrote:

Just checked the internet, The problem seems to be that you have too much free space. Try installing some more heavy games and try it again Smiley Tongue. If you have Quest for Booty play that one first. It installs 4GB to your HDD. If it still doesn't work continue to play other games first.


Judging by the post I think he has a 500gb PS3. o.o

 

It's probably not worth it if you have more than 200gb free. I remember this was an issue several years ago when I first got a PS3 I saw tons of threads about it. That was back when 160gb was the top, so you'd probably have to get it really low. I saw tons of threads so I am assuming it's issue with stock HDD's whicih only got up to 160 (probably only 120). So if you have 500, you'd have to get it down at LEAST lower than 160, almost certainly more.

 

I'm sorry you're having issues, keep us updated because I'm curious.

Message 8 of 15 (332 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/20/2010
Offline
3654 posts
 

Re: HDD problems...

Mar 29, 2013

Hielke6991 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

first of all: this is not uncharted related, but I post here often and I know most people are here and the off-topic forums is as dead as it can be, and I really need your help here...

 

so, UC3 freezed so much that it caused my ps3 to break, so I had to buy a new one... so I went to the store and bhought a 500gb extra slim ps3 + uc3 gotye + gran turismo ae bundle...

 

things I did:

- hooked it up to the internet, downloaded the system update, signed up for playstation network with my old account Matthijs_17, synced throphies

- played Tomb Raider, downloaded title update (88mb), finished the single player (it was awesome), then played a couple of multiplayer matches (good, but nothing really special)

- then I played Uncharted 2, downloaded patch 1.09 (258mb) and some installing stuff (219mb), finished the single player again, played some multiplayer matches with friends

- then I had some router problems, so my ps3 is currently disconnected from the internet

- so I played Uncharted 3 (not the game of the year edition, used my old disc), it had to install something I guess, because I see at the game data 451 kb, then I played the single player again (had some issues btw I didn't experience on my 40gb fat ps3, it wasn't so smooth as usual, the screen sometimes shocked a little, don't know how to descibe it)

 

ok, and now comes the problem: I wanted to play ratchet and clank: tools of destruction again, so I put in the disc, and then it says: not enough space, 419 mb is needed for installing the game (something like that), I bhought a 500gb ps3, how can I not have enough space for that game? I hadn't this problem on my 40gb fat ps3...

 

I checked game data, it has used around 565 mb, and saved data is around 829 kb, on top of that I send and received a couple of messages, let's say around 25, but I guess that doesn't take much space...

 

then I deleted UC3 and UC2, and then I could install Ratchet and Clank and play it, so it is not a disc problem...

 

so, my 500gb extra slim ps3 is still disconnected from the internet, I used not more than 570mb of space, it is not a disc problem because it works after deleting some stuff, so what is going on? I think of 2 problems:

 

- in the box was accidently put a 12GB ps3, but still, I assume even a 12GB ps3 has no problems with 570mb of space and then installing 419, that's not even 1gb in total...

- somehow a internet connection is required for it (cloud saving or something?)

 

I don't really have any know-how about the technical things, so hopefully you guys have any idea what is going on! Smiley Sad


This is a problem with Tools Of Destruction. The game will say that you don't have enough space even though there is plenty. I had that once and I hat to format my PS3 :/ Well it was my first real game so I didn't mind since there was nothing on my HDD. This issue has never been patched. You might want to look on the internet to see if there is another fix than formatting your PS3.


ok, glad to know it's a problem with the game then, it's strange though because I deleted UC2 and UC3 and after that I could play Ratchet and Clank, I'll think I'll put batman arkham asylum in there when I go on the ps3 again, if I remember well that game needs at least 3GB of install space, so if that works, than the problem certainly is the Ratchet and Clank game...

 

what does formatting ps3's mean btw?

Message 9 of 15 (295 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/21/2011
Offline
2402 posts
 

Re: HDD problems...

Mar 29, 2013

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Hielke6991 wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

first of all: this is not uncharted related, but I post here often and I know most people are here and the off-topic forums is as dead as it can be, and I really need your help here...

 

so, UC3 freezed so much that it caused my ps3 to break, so I had to buy a new one... so I went to the store and bhought a 500gb extra slim ps3 + uc3 gotye + gran turismo ae bundle...

 

things I did:

- hooked it up to the internet, downloaded the system update, signed up for playstation network with my old account Matthijs_17, synced throphies

- played Tomb Raider, downloaded title update (88mb), finished the single player (it was awesome), then played a couple of multiplayer matches (good, but nothing really special)

- then I played Uncharted 2, downloaded patch 1.09 (258mb) and some installing stuff (219mb), finished the single player again, played some multiplayer matches with friends

- then I had some router problems, so my ps3 is currently disconnected from the internet

- so I played Uncharted 3 (not the game of the year edition, used my old disc), it had to install something I guess, because I see at the game data 451 kb, then I played the single player again (had some issues btw I didn't experience on my 40gb fat ps3, it wasn't so smooth as usual, the screen sometimes shocked a little, don't know how to descibe it)

 

ok, and now comes the problem: I wanted to play ratchet and clank: tools of destruction again, so I put in the disc, and then it says: not enough space, 419 mb is needed for installing the game (something like that), I bhought a 500gb ps3, how can I not have enough space for that game? I hadn't this problem on my 40gb fat ps3...

 

I checked game data, it has used around 565 mb, and saved data is around 829 kb, on top of that I send and received a couple of messages, let's say around 25, but I guess that doesn't take much space...

 

then I deleted UC3 and UC2, and then I could install Ratchet and Clank and play it, so it is not a disc problem...

 

so, my 500gb extra slim ps3 is still disconnected from the internet, I used not more than 570mb of space, it is not a disc problem because it works after deleting some stuff, so what is going on? I think of 2 problems:

 

- in the box was accidently put a 12GB ps3, but still, I assume even a 12GB ps3 has no problems with 570mb of space and then installing 419, that's not even 1gb in total...

- somehow a internet connection is required for it (cloud saving or something?)

 

I don't really have any know-how about the technical things, so hopefully you guys have any idea what is going on! Smiley Sad


This is a problem with Tools Of Destruction. The game will say that you don't have enough space even though there is plenty. I had that once and I hat to format my PS3 :/ Well it was my first real game so I didn't mind since there was nothing on my HDD. This issue has never been patched. You might want to look on the internet to see if there is another fix than formatting your PS3.


ok, glad to know it's a problem with the game then, it's strange though because I deleted UC2 and UC3 and after that I could play Ratchet and Clank, I'll think I'll put batman arkham asylum in there when I go on the ps3 again, if I remember well that game needs at least 3GB of install space, so if that works, than the problem certainly is the Ratchet and Clank game...

 

what does formatting ps3's mean btw?


Not sure if it's the correct English word, but it means that you clear you harddisk completely a long with the OS. Maybe the PS3 does keep the OS version it started with though.

 

But do you have the 12GB or the 500GB?

Message 10 of 15 (285 Views)
Reply
0 Likes