May 23 2012
By: King_Cobra97 Uncharted Territory 1571 posts

How to Train Your Dragon (Dragon Sniper Guide)

[ Edited ]
41 replies 1779 views Edited Aug 28, 2012

Thanks to Goldhawk for the suggestion.

Version: 1.30

Last Update: Edited most of the guide and cleared up a few things I thought were ....er... unclear.

CONTENTS:

Advantages

Disadvantages

Loadout

basics

Advanced stuff

Maps

Other

ADVANTAGES

The Dragon is the only weapon in the game besides the T-bolt that may shoot a person's head in cover, this provides a huge tactical advantage because if you or your teammates trap someone in cover you can still pick them off. The Dragon kills in two body shots and one shot to the head. It has a rather quick kill time. In hardcore the Dragon still retains it's two shots to kill in the body and one in the head.

To recap

• May shoot exposed heads and limbs in cover
  • Two shots to kill and 1 in the head for all modes
  • Quick kill time

DISADVANTAGES

The Dragon is incredible weak in close quarters. It has a rather low ammo count and a fierce recoil.

•  Weak in CQC
  • Low ammo
  • Strong Recoil

LOADOUT

MODS

The Dragon Sniper comes with four mods, callout, reload speed, max ammo and clip size. They're all useful in their own way. I suggest you get max ammo ASAP since the dragon starts off with a measly 20 bullets. Reload Speed and clip size are great to have on if your facing multiple opponents at once or if your exchanging fire with an enemy. Callout is good to have on incase a target escapes before he is finished off as your teamates are informed of his/her location. Draza's dragon and Sully's dragon are equal in terms of usefulness in my opinion.

SIDEARMS

For your sidearm I suggest your favourite Para9 or Arm Micro for the close encounters.

BOOSTERS

The most popular slot 1 boosters are Cloaked and Scoped-In. Scoped-In helps a lot  against G-malers and other annoyances as it negates pain wobble, while cloaked keeps you hidden and silent. Another good slot 1 booster is Weapons Expert, Max ammo + reload speed works like a charm and at level 2 you can switch instantly from your sidearm to the Dragon allowing quicker kills and better aiming at close range if you aim and fire a few shots with your pistol then switch to the Dragon for the takedown.

Most slot 2 boosters will work, but my favourite is ammo award. Ammo award gives you ammo for every 3 Dragon kills and you don't even have to taunt unlike daredevil. The more valuable slot 2 boosters include Monkey Man, Daredevil and Bargain. Monkey Man is very useful for Yemen as you'll be climbing to get to the good spots. Daredevil quickly stocks your Dragon with ammo but this may be hard as your sniping, if your running out of ammo with Daredevil try to get a sidearm kill then switch weapons so when you taunt the Dragon gets the ammo. Bargain helps you get more kickbacks.

KICKBACKS

The most beneficial Kickback is sniper (t-bolt) but most kickbacks will work just fine. I suggest Smokebomb, sniper or a grenade kickback.

PAID BOOSTERS

Paid boosters are always welcome to your loadout, here is a list of each of their benefits to a sniper.

• Ping- Helps you spot anyone who's trying to sneak up on you.
      • Bargain- Mo kickbacks,mo kills.
      • Explosives Expert- An extra grenade isn't much of an advantage.
      • Untraceable- A very useful booster. If you miss while sniping your target is unlikely to notice. 

BASICS

You do the best with the Dragon when your camping, even if your not fond of it, it's a sniper what are you going to do? Rush with it? So when using the Dragon find a place to set up shop, but survey your surroundings and don't stay there to long maybe three kills or couple of minutes. The Dragon has a wicked recoil that will take some time to master so try to aim for the head if they don't see you. If you miss or hit the body wait until the reticule is going back down then align it for another shot. Remember to switch to your sidearm when moving around. Don't be afraid to tinker with the aiming speed under options if it's moving to fast or to slow, I have mine at 60-65% full on the bar. Remember to be patient and to let your prey come to you.

ADVANCED STUFF

As you get better you will get used to the recoil and kill times will surely drop. In other modes such as Team Objective try to position your self so you have a good view of a zone and protect your allies by picking off unseen enemies or enemies they otherwise couldn't shoot.

If your trying to snipe someone who is returning fire the best way might be to strafe, try to aim the X axis with strafing, while the Y axis is normal aiming.

The Dot Shot

When trapped under cover by a non sniper move the center dot onto them (preferable the face) and quickly aim and fire, your bullet should go exactly where the dot was.

If your trapped in cover by a sniper remember to move, as they can shoot your head and anything that is exposed. You can try the dot shot trick but you may just have to roll and jump sporadically to get out of there.

MAPS 

Museum, City of Brass, Fort, Train Wreck, London Underground, Airstrip and Yemen are all good maps for the dragon.

• Museum- The T-bolt spawns are good spot for a quick couple of kills but don't stay there for long as it's a common area. I recommend the smallest roof by the Villain's spawn.

• Fort- The two end zones are good spots to pick off enemies but watch out for the sides as opponents can climb up and over via the boxes.

• Train Wreck- Snipe on top of the trains by the spawns or the middle trains.

• Airstrip- The Turret that you can't reach at the start is a excellent spot to snipe. The T-bolt spawn and roof will also land you some kills. At the starting sequence the Dragon is a formidable weapon.

• London Underground-When you spawn go to the cover directly above you and try to pick off the enemies coming out of their train. On the actual map go left of the mag5/RPG spot above the Villains spawn and you'll find cover with a perfect view of the tunnel area with the bookshelves and the area with the turret.

• Yemen-The two towers and the t-bolt spawns plus the rooms to the sides, truly a sniper's paradise.

• City of Brass- I have not tried this map yet. Feel free to send suggestions.

Make sure to avoid close corridors maps like Desert Village and Chateau as automatics will tear you to shreds.

OTHER

Helpful links:

How to get scoped in by Slaynman http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4598377

I'd like to thank everyone who has provide me with valuable feedback and to those who have corrected any mistakes and/or blunders that I have made.

VIDEOS

Expect a few videos showcasing a few sniping skills starring Derpgusta137 and I in the near future.

Thanks to everyone who helped me make this guide and a special thanks to Derpgusta137.

Message 34 of 42 (1,779 Views)
Gaming Beast
1876 posts

Re: How to Tame a Dragon

May 20, 2012

Scoped In, cobra and who says it not a CQC weapon:

I have tons and tons of clips like this, I'll upload them shortly.

EDIT: liked for soon(tm)

Message 1 of 42 (1,779 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Re: How to Tame a Dragon (Dragon Sniper Guide)

May 20, 2012

Good thread, you should also note that City of Brass is another great map for the dragon sniper.

Message 2 of 42 (1,778 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1571 posts

May 20, 2012

VenustasLuci wrote:

Good thread, you should also note that City of Brass is another great map for the dragon sniper.

I'll have to try that. "POOF" Its been added to the OP.

Message 3 of 42 (1,778 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1876 posts

May 20, 2012

Steel fisting with the DS FTW!

Message 4 of 42 (1,778 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

May 20, 2012

OP, I hate to rain on the parade but...

this guide has been done before -_-

http://www.saint-ism.com/2011/11/the-ultimate-uncharted-3-dragon-sniper-guide/

Message 5 of 42 (1,778 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1571 posts

May 20, 2012

It's outdated and not on the forums.

Message 6 of 42 (1,778 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

May 20, 2012

outdated? True, but nothing has changed about the dragon since then.

Not on the forums.....good point

Message 7 of 42 (1,778 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1571 posts

May 20, 2012

The recoil has changed since then, it no longer returns to the same spot ever time.

Message 8 of 42 (1,778 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2290 posts

May 20, 2012

Good guide, bud. It could use some spacing and be a bit more organized. Capitilazation and such to make it a bit more easy on the eyes? Good work nonetheless.

Message 9 of 42 (1,778 Views)
0 Likes