Naughty Paw
11463 posts

Re: How we could better cover so that is more important to multiplayer.

Jan 26, 2014
That desert walk was dope.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 161 of 201 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3511 posts

Jan 26, 2014

Aureilia wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:
But Math is saying it's not a shooter which it CLEARLY is.

I say it's an action/adventure game with platforming mechanics, cover mechanics, stealth mechanics, melee mechanics and thrid person shooting mechanics, I am not denying there are shooting elements in the game, it's just not a shooter...

Why can't it be all of those things?

It is action adventure, it has platform mechanics, it has melee mechanics, it has third person shooter mechanics...

I don't see any stealth mechanics though. I see stealth as something you really have to create yourself in the game.

because the definition of an action/adventure is that it has all those things, that is what an action/adventure is, a game with an adventurous story and with multiple forms of action, be it stealth, melee or gunplay, a shooter just let's you **bleep** things, and clear one room after the other...

lets pick the example of Mirror's Edge again, according to you it can be multiple things, because you have platforming elements, so you can call it a platformer, it has action and adventure, so you could call it an action/adventure, it also has shooting mechanics, but who in their right mind would call Mirror's Edge a shooter? just because it also has shooting mechanics? you define a game by what content it provides, a shooter gives you hectic gameplay with constantly incoming enemies where you shoot one after the other, and in an action/adventure you mix it up with platforming, puzzlesolving, brawls, stealth, gunplay, set-piece-moments and other stuff, Uncharted is clearly not a shooter...

Compare the enemy count of Mirror's Edge vs the enemy count of Uncharted..

Uncharted gives me hectic gameplay with constant enemies. I honestly see more shooting than platforming.

The only time your actually taking a break from shooting or getting shot at is Chapter 1, 2 the one where Drake goes crazy, and the most boring thing ever, that sandstorm.

your memory is not very good then, or you thought the shootouts were the only thing memorable, which seems the more likely since you think Uncharted 3's single player was bad Smiley Wink

but I already said it before, and you can check it for yourself if you want, that 12 of 22 chapters have no gun combat at all, and only 6 out of 22 have a shootout here and there, and only 3 out of 22 are (mostly) shootouts only, and then I haven't even mentioned that you can use the environment or melee in those shootouts too...

and I dare to place a bet on the fact that you can kill more enemies with guns in Mirror's Edge than you can kill with guns in Uncharted 3, if you factor in that Mirror's Edge is a 3 hour game and Uncharted 3 a 9 hour game at least...

Message 162 of 201 (376 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14231 posts

Jan 26, 2014

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

I say it's an action/adventure game with platforming mechanics, cover mechanics, stealth mechanics, melee mechanics and thrid person shooting mechanics, I am not denying there are shooting elements in the game, it's just not a shooter...

It is action adventure, it has platform mechanics, it has melee mechanics, it has third person shooter mechanics...

I don't see any stealth mechanics though. I see stealth as something you really have to create yourself in the game.

because the definition of an action/adventure is that it has all those things, that is what an action/adventure is, a game with an adventurous story and with multiple forms of action, be it stealth, melee or gunplay, a shooter just let's you **bleep** things, and clear one room after the other...

lets pick the example of Mirror's Edge again, according to you it can be multiple things, because you have platforming elements, so you can call it a platformer, it has action and adventure, so you could call it an action/adventure, it also has shooting mechanics, but who in their right mind would call Mirror's Edge a shooter? just because it also has shooting mechanics? you define a game by what content it provides, a shooter gives you hectic gameplay with constantly incoming enemies where you shoot one after the other, and in an action/adventure you mix it up with platforming, puzzlesolving, brawls, stealth, gunplay, set-piece-moments and other stuff, Uncharted is clearly not a shooter...

Uncharted gives me hectic gameplay with constant enemies. I honestly see more shooting than platforming.

The only time your actually taking a break from shooting or getting shot at is Chapter 1, 2 the one where Drake goes crazy, and the most boring thing ever, that sandstorm.

your memory is not very good then, or you thought the shootouts were the only thing memorable, which seems the more likely since you think Uncharted 3's single player was bad Smiley Wink

but I already said it before, and you can check it for yourself if you want, that 12 of 22 chapters have no gun combat at all, and only 6 out of 22 have a shootout here and there, and only 3 out of 22 are (mostly) shootouts only, and then I haven't even mentioned that you can use the environment or melee in those shootouts too...

and I dare to place a bet on the fact that you can kill more enemies with guns in Mirror's Edge than you can kill with guns in Uncharted 3, if you factor in that Mirror's Edge is a 3 hour game and Uncharted 3 a 9 hour game at least...

I think the story was bad and some parts which left you walking slowly.

Mirror's Edge isn't a 3 hour game Smiley Tongue I have a full playthrough of it on my youtube, I totally done it faster than 3 hours Smiley Happy

I dont think Uncharted 3 was that bad though, It was bad by Uncharted standards, As a game despite it's story spiraling out of control and it's sand level... It was still one of the best games ever created.

As far as last generation goes I'd put Uncharted 3 in my top 5 easily.Sadly it's behind the other two Uncharted games though.

Uncharted 1 had a good story, good premise and slightly odd gameplay. Uncharted 2 had a perfected gameplay and even better story, Uncharted 3 had slightly worse gameplay and a out of control story. slightly worse is slightly below perfection, it's not that it's bad. It's that it's not as good as Uncharted 1 in the story department and it's not better than Uncharted 2 in the gameplay or story department.

So nah. I don't hate Uncharted 3. I know ND could have done better. I've seen them do better.

Message 163 of 201 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
802 posts

Jan 27, 2014
(Just my two cents) Uncharted 3's SP is great. The story however, is a disjointed mess. Had a great start but ND really dropped the ball. Uncharted 3 is a 9/10 while I'd put Uncharted 2 a 10/10. for the record I'd put UC as an action/adventure Smiley Happy
Message 164 of 201 (363 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14231 posts

Jan 27, 2014

Uncharted is almost dead anyway, hardly anyone ever plays it on my list these days.

Message 165 of 201 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3511 posts

Jan 27, 2014

kratos_snake__ wrote:
(Just my two cents) Uncharted 3's SP is great. The story however, is a disjointed mess. Had a great start but ND really dropped the ball. Uncharted 3 is a 9/10 while I'd put Uncharted 2 a 10/10. for the record I'd put UC as an action/adventure Smiley Happy

all hail kratos_snake___ Smiley Tongue

anyway, indeed the story is disjointed, I doubt it's Naughty Dog's fault though, I heard some actors moved on to other projects during development of the game, which I don't know is true, but if it is, I don't blame it on Naughty Dog, and Amy Hennig is a fantastic writer, it's definately not her fault Smiley Happy

anyway, I still liked UC3 story, but I hated the gameplay, it felt so clunky to me compared to the fluid movement that was in UC2, and some design choices that were horrible (for instance giving grab and cover the same circle button, so that you want to take cover next to an opponent you accidently grab him...) or the jump on enemy mechanic for which you had to line yourself up perfectly, while it works in Assassin's Creed from any position perfectly for years or the melee with armored guys, what ND employee ever thought it was fun to have the same melee animations as normal enemies, but then extended, so that you brawl with one of them for 30 seconds until you finally pop his helmet off, and then another 30 seconds of the same animations to finish him off, while in Uncharted 2 all enemy type had different animations and combo's, the soldiers with grey clothes required just 3 punches (3xsquare), the soldiers with slightly heavier armor and black clothes could counter (so 3xsquare + triangle + square to finish him off) and then you had the armored where you had different animations (soldier grabbed Nate by his throat and then Nate slaps both hands against his ears to get free or the animation where the soldier grabs Nate's fist and Nate has to avoid an incoming fist to the face), succeeding those animations will result in either pulling or kicking the armored soldiers helmet off and then he becomes like a black clothes soldier, and many more design choices I disliked, it's not a bad game, I just enjoyed UC2 a lot more Smiley Happy

Message 166 of 201 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3511 posts

Jan 27, 2014

Aureilia wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Matthijs_17 wrote:

AKyemeni wrote:

I think the story was bad and some parts which left you walking slowly.

Mirror's Edge isn't a 3 hour game Smiley Tongue I have a full playthrough of it on my youtube, I totally done it faster than 3 hours Smiley Happy

I dont think Uncharted 3 was that bad though, It was bad by Uncharted standards, As a game despite it's story spiraling out of control and it's sand level... It was still one of the best games ever created.

As far as last generation goes I'd put Uncharted 3 in my top 5 easily.Sadly it's behind the other two Uncharted games though.

Uncharted 1 had a good story, good premise and slightly odd gameplay. Uncharted 2 had a perfected gameplay and even better story, Uncharted 3 had slightly worse gameplay and a out of control story. slightly worse is slightly below perfection, it's not that it's bad. It's that it's not as good as Uncharted 1 in the story department and it's not better than Uncharted 2 in the gameplay or story department.

So nah. I don't hate Uncharted 3. I know ND could have done better. I've seen them do better.

I was being generous with the 3 hours of mirror's edge indeed, but that was in your advantage you know Smiley Wink

point is, if you want you can kill more enemies with guns in Mirror's Edge than you can in Uncharted in the same time Smiley Happy

Message 167 of 201 (345 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3622 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 27, 2014

Uncharted isn't a game, it's a lifestyle choice™

Do you feel me?

Message 168 of 201 (338 Views)
Fender Bender
3511 posts

Jan 27, 2014

duke_of_platypus wrote:

Uncharted isn't a game, it's a lifestyle choice. 

at least that willl end the discussion Smiley Tongue

Message 169 of 201 (334 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1097 posts

Jan 27, 2014

If you wont have well thought-out MP map design(U3), even the best cover system do nothing for you.

A multiplayer is supposed to feel the same as the game before it. You made that mistake with Uc3 but it was manageable. Now with Uc4 this is just ridiculous.

DeFy Sushi
Message 170 of 201 (307 Views)
0 Likes