Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 19 2011
By: pdiss88 Treasure Hunter 5842 posts

Is this really what we wanted?

107 replies 293 views Edited Apr 19, 2011

What's the over/under on the extra number of days the casual MP shooter fans play this game as compared to UC2? I mean, that's obviously who ND is trying to attract through these massive changes to the MP. These things were added in spite of the hardcore fans of UC2 MP, obviously not aimed towards them. ND knows that these hardcore fans will buy the game regardless of what changes they make and thus it doesn't affect their bottom line one bit if they're unhappy with the changes from UC2 to UC3. I must admit, it's a clever marketing marketing strategy: ignore the suggestions of your disheartened but loyal fans and instead look to take a bite from another shooter's crowd. Very, very ambitious.

ND clearly stated that UC2 did not accomplish their vision of what they wanted their MP game to be, as it was their first outing. Because of this, they (at least IMO) treated their final product as some sort of open beta to test for what would be the real deal in UC3. Evidence of this includes 1.05 where the bullet damage was increased. This obviously wasn't done to appease more casual players, as the game had already been out for 4 months and the casual players who complained that it took too many bullets to get a kill had quit UC2 MP three months and three weeks before. It also certainly wasn't done for the current UC2 community, since the feedback was overwhelmingly negative from these types (even though most continued playing). It was clearly done to push their vision of what their MP should be even if most of the fans who had made the MP the success that it was thus far had to move forward with the vision kicking and screaming.

Another thing I wasn't a big fan of was the direction the map design seemed to take in the DLC maps. The simple yet beautiful map design (thanks to the amazing textures and lighting effects) of maps such as Temple and Village got thrown out for massive, asymmetrical maps that seemed to value form far over function. Maps such as Flooded Ruins or Highrise looked beautiful the first time I booted them up and explored them in a private match, but the honeymoon ended shortly after I realized how unfair the asymmetrical map design was. For instance, the Villains are at a serious disadvantage on Flooded Ruins as soon as the match boots up if the Heroes team knows what they're doing. I don't think anyone can argue with that. I still hope that the fact that all four UC2 DLC maps were grossly asymmetrical is just some sort of coincidence, but it seems to indicate otherwise and I see that as detrimental moving forward. I want my maps to play well and be fair, not just look really cool.

Bottom line: I can kind of see where ND's aspirations lie just through their patterns in UC2 and what has been announced for UC3. My guess is these casual fans will play three or four extra days before they complain that it's still too hard to aim or players take too many bullets to die. Unless you essentially institute auto aim or snap-to L1 aim and reduce the damage you can take to 3 or 4 bullets, you're never going to hook these sorts of players for long.

Message 1 of 108 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2471 posts

that  is certainly your opinion on that matter but I don'...

Apr 19, 2011

that  is certainly your opinion on that matter but I don't think it reflects the opinion of all the core loyal fans this game has.

Some of us are optimistic about the next game, think the changes sound awesome and like maps like High rise and flooded ruins far more than maps like the temple and the village...

ND reads their tweets.
Tweet to them the need for an All competitive playlist. Maybe they'll listen.
Message 2 of 108 (293 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

hopefully they will make some sort of playlist where all...

Apr 19, 2011
hopefully they will make some sort of playlist where all the BS is turned off and players can just play and let themselves do the talking. no boosters, no buddies, no late game balance shift, no harry potter disappearing stuff, no curses, just me and my gun.

thats where you will find the hardcore gamers, in the real "ranked" playlist. they can still cater to the noobs in the booster-fest playlists. we only need 1, they can have the rest.
Message 3 of 108 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
831 posts

Yeah I also hope some sort of playlist without kickbacks...

Apr 19, 2011

Yeah I also hope some sort of playlist without kickbacks and those attachments like uncharted 2 but with new maps and skins. Well said pdiss. :smileyhappy:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 108 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
730 posts

I totally agree, theres really nothing unique about UC3 a...

Apr 19, 2011

I totally agree, theres really nothing unique about UC3 and its not at all recognisable to uc2, but what can we do

Message 5 of 108 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3376 posts

core game elements always stays which is important, and c...

Apr 19, 2011

core game elements always stays which is important, and changes to other things are just stuff that spices up gameplay its an inevitable trend with sequels, otherwise its same old stuff. Those who cant accept change will be like socom zombies who keeps lingering behind zippers backs but always get ignored coz they keep living in the past, although i gotta agree zipper messed up with socom 4, they gravely change core game elements which made the game feel very different

Message 6 of 108 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
562 posts

As long as it still feels like Uncharted, it should be go...

Apr 19, 2011

As long as it still feels like Uncharted, it should be good. Y'know, the pump taunting, the climbing, the cover, the BBQ's,  the red flashing grenades, the AK's and FAL's. If the core gameplay elements don't change, then the game won't feel drastically different.

I agree with some people who think ND are trying to make the game more 'COD like' and I'm gonna urge ND to NOT do that. Uncharted 2's multiplayer was as simple as they come and it was still far better than anything COD has ever offered.

I guess we'll find out on June 28th if ND have ruined Uncharted or not. The fact that PS+ subscribers get the beta a week early actually made me go out and shell out 40 quid on a subscription :smileyvery-happy: It better be worth it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RFFN Website
Message 7 of 108 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3077 posts

The Meek Shall Inherit...what?

Apr 19, 2011

LOL!  

There isn't a shred of doubt, IMO, that pdiss88 is a VERY skilled and talented player, and I've enjoyed his posts over the past year or so...

From experience...i've ended up in couple of games AGAINST pdiss88 (and murderous crew) and it did not end well for ANYONE on my team (mostly randoms)!

pdiss88's point is well taken...his analysis is VERY reasonable...especially the part about UC2 MULTI essentially being a MASSIVE open beta in which NDI tweeked and tweeked and tweeked, regardless of the results...

When I first started playing UC2 MULTI...I found myself often saying..."where the hell are all the low ranks, like me?"  pdiss88's point that these changes may only keep the WEAKEST of players (like myself) around for maybe a couple of weeks more than UC2 makes sense as a prediction...but remains to be seen.  

And, yes...as a casual player, unskilled, after playing UC2 MULTI for about 3 months I hit the wall.  Couldn't stand it anymore.  It was a combination of my lack of skill coupled with lag and/or glitchers that helped me to put UC2 down and move on to another game.  

Of course, the EXACT OPPOSITE may happen...it's possible that the changes of UC3 will keep the "FISH" around (like myself) for "SHARKS," like pdiss88, to murder and murder and murder and murder...it may just be enough to keep the fish happy so they can CONTINUE to go down to more talented players like pdiss88.  

If i've said it once...I've said it ONE THOUSAND TIMES..."Don't tap the aquarium."  

YOUTUBE SLEAZEVISION

Uncharted 3 Co-op Certification Center: Uncharted.VarHyid.com

Message 8 of 108 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6018 posts

Sorry; but these aren't MASSIVE changes to the Multiplaye...

Apr 19, 2011
Sorry; but these aren't MASSIVE changes to the Multiplayer; it is a different game.

A massive change would be an update, which yes, have caused fury in the past, but the difference is, this is a new game that we have to pay for; should we want to play it.
Displaced NDF individual :smileysad:
Message 9 of 108 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
223 posts

That is a great idea! :smileywink: ND should defintely ad...

Apr 19, 2011

ZOMBOB_ wrote:
hopefully they will make some sort of playlist where all the BS is turned off and players can just play and let themselves do the talking. no boosters, no buddies, no late game balance shift, no harry potter disappearing stuff, no curses, just me and my gun.

thats where you will find the hardcore gamers, in the real "ranked" playlist. they can still cater to the noobs in the booster-fest playlists. we only need 1, they can have the rest.

That is a great idea! :smileywink: ND should defintely add a hardcore playlist 

Message 10 of 108 (293 Views)
0 Likes