Wastelander
686 posts

basically this, it was very well said by the korgon. the...

Apr 19, 2011

korgon117 wrote:

I think we are rushing to judge this a bit too fast. I agree with all your points about the lackluster support for Uncharted 2 MP, but I also believe we may be getting blinded by what happened in U2 MP. Here are my reasons.

1) We haven't heard of all the playlists that will be in the final game, so for all we know, they could have a no kickback no booster gametype that many of us have wanted for a while, I mean they added free-for-all, which was requested by many, so why not add a bare bones playlist like many have requested for too?

2) It's not like all that was announced was bad, I mean, the really deep character customization is really nice. The Airstrip map sounds really cool and more might start out similar to it with the crazy set piece. The Three TDM sounds fun when you don't have many friends online to play with at the moment. And yes while the changes are a bit jarring at first glance, none of the kickbacks sound too overpowered. Yes some of them are kinda silly like the smoke bomb one, I think instead of vanishing it should stun all those around you like Assassins Creed Brotherhood. Anyway, the rest of them seem fine. And they remind me more of Resistance 2's Berserk system than COD's Killstreak system, which is a very good thing. Also the Uncharted TV is a nice little touch. The SA replacements should be axed however, that I agree should go.

3) We haven't tried it yet. There are two easy ways available to get into the beta to try it out first, so until the beta I reserve judgment on if the changes are good or not.

It is never good for a game series to just copy and paste the same thing over to the next game. Look at the COD series. They haven't changed a bit over the years and the most recent entry Black Ops is one of the worst FPS games I have ever played in my life. If you just copy and paste the entire time, your series will die sooner or later. It's different yes, but that doesn't mean it will instantly be a bust.

basically this, it was very well said by the korgon. the changes are a bit overwhelming, yes but afterall, look at uc2. you remember the labs that they have been trying out for the past year? did you see any of them mentioned yet for game modes? well, it wouldnt be a surprise to us if they did mention it so im guessing theyre saving it for when we actually get the game. im almost certain there will be a deathmatch no power weapons one, which i bet will take out kickbacks since you can spawn a power weapon in your hands.

bottom line: most people are judging it too early, the beta is only 2 months away, im sure you can hold your thoughts/ complaints until you actually play the game.

Twitter: @HeaneyWeeny
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePattyCakeChamp
Message 41 of 108 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Challenge accepted.

Apr 19, 2011

Oo_E2M_oO wrote:

This has nothing to do really with the hardcore, theres no unique identity from what I'm seeing. I would love change but the core gameplay is going to be totally different with sprint and customizable weapons. ND could have been certainly more innovative to make this game appeal to casual players rather than be completely replicative. They've made something I don't recognize. If I wanted to play a tps with customizable weapons and sprint I would go and play socom. TELL ME WHAT CAN YOU SEE IN UC3'S MP THAT IS UNIQUE?

1.  2 v 2 v 2 game mode.  I've never seen that before. 

2.  You can now kick someone off while hanging next to them.

3.  The fact that you get to play as awesomely well-defined characters from the Uncharted universe in the MP, OR you can essentially create your own bad-ass. 

4.  Fighting from MOVING VEHICLES in multiplayer. 

5.  Some of the boosters are very original and unique to the uncharted story and universe. 

Message 42 of 108 (158 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1337 posts

Bad Company 2 had 4v4v4 I believe but all the other thing...

Apr 19, 2011

ryaniscool47 wrote:

Oo_E2M_oO wrote:

This has nothing to do really with the hardcore, theres no unique identity from what I'm seeing. I would love change but the core gameplay is going to be totally different with sprint and customizable weapons. ND could have been certainly more innovative to make this game appeal to casual players rather than be completely replicative. They've made something I don't recognize. If I wanted to play a tps with customizable weapons and sprint I would go and play socom. TELL ME WHAT CAN YOU SEE IN UC3'S MP THAT IS UNIQUE?

1.  2 v 2 v 2 game mode.  I've never seen that before. 

2.  You can now kick someone off while hanging next to them.

3.  The fact that you get to play as awesomely well-defined characters from the Uncharted universe in the MP, OR you can essentially create your own bad-ass. 

4.  Fighting from MOVING VEHICLES in multiplayer. 

5.  Some of the boosters are very original and unique to the uncharted story and universe. 

Bad Company 2 had 4v4v4 I believe but all the other things seem pretty unique.

Message 43 of 108 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Fair enough.  I never played BFBC2, but I wanted to lol.

Apr 19, 2011

Fair enough.  I never played BFBC2, but I wanted to lol. 

Message 44 of 108 (158 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1060 posts

As a shortened version of my earlier wall of text:   I th...

Apr 19, 2011

ryaniscool47 wrote:

I think the statement in your OP I was taking the most issue with was when you said ND was instituting changes "in spite of" the hardcore fans.  I really think they're doing the best they can to make the fans happy, but they're really in an impossible situation in that regard, since they NEED to make it a new game, and they need it to be popular. 

As someone else stated, we haven't seen the full playlists yet, there may be a "classic mode" or something which would be more traditional.  We'll just have to wait and see.  Bring on the beta!  *hurries up and waits* 

As a shortened version of my earlier wall of text:

I think this is the crux of the debate. People aren't upset because things are being changed or added. They are upset because the additions don't feel like Uncharted. I don't remember Drake sprinting, customizing his weapons, or disappearing in a puff of smoke. This is part of the reason why people hated SA; it feels completely out of place.

The UC2 skins were all carefully crafted in order to fit the character in the SP campaign. So when Winter Drake runs around in MP, it feels like Drake because it is the exact same Drake ND had meticulousyl created.

A purple Drake with a yellow hat won't feel like Drake at all, because it is really some random person's Drake. Some people like character customization because now they "can feel unique and be themselves". I don't want a game that feels like a collection of unique individuals, I want a game that feels like Uncharted. 

Additions like gun mods and kickbacks feel similarly foreign to the Uncharted I've come to love, but are even worse because they also affect gameplay. Personally, I would prefer that people express their individuality in the way they play the game, rather than have it forcibly instituted into the mechanics and environment.

I don't speak for anyone other than myself, but I think that is similar to what a lot of people are thinking. What "feels" like Uncharted can obviously change, I just don't think the new additions are the best way to go about creating that change, if ND is so inclined to make it.

Message 45 of 108 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2892 posts

U3's MP may not be entirely "unique", but it is...

Apr 19, 2011

Oo_E2M_oO wrote:

TELL ME WHAT CAN YOU SEE IN UC3'S MP THAT IS UNIQUE?

U3's MP may not be entirely "unique", but it is DEFINITELY "inspired"!

Naughty Dog has commented more than a few times that they are making "games that they want to play", and they play all the games out there!  Their games are inspired by other games, but man do they seem to always take it to the next level!

U3 GOTY 2011!

:smileywink:

2544133150[1].png

Message 46 of 108 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6586 posts

It's me! I'm skeptical at this point, there are things I...

Apr 19, 2011

pdiss88 wrote:

Let me just run down the UC3-related comments on my PSN friends list I'm seeing on my friends list right now before people continue to call me cavalier (in other threads) and insist that I don't speak for anyone else:

"UC3... Hmmm"

It's me! I'm skeptical at this point, there are things I don't like and there are things I do like which make the game look amazing. But I'm reserving judgement until I play to see if it is any good or not. Currently though, I have faith that this will turn out much better than UC2.

Message 47 of 108 (158 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30083 posts

My Opinion

Apr 19, 2011

I have watched the trailer several times and read the blog post a few more, and I have the feeling we're focusing in on one or two items and making a mountain out of a molehill.

First of all, none of us have played U3 Multiplayer and watching a glimpse of a feature doesn't really give a full representation of how it will feel to us playing it.  The development team at Naughty Dog has had a lot of time to work on the new multiplayer features and judging from their past games, I seriously doubt anything was just added on a whim.

Secondly, we've seen a tiny bit of two new maps.  One of them is dynamic and changes halfway through the match!  How many more may adopt this feature?  We don't know.  I really think its too early to complain about maps, when we haven't even seen how they will be laid out.

People like customization of characters.  It brings immersion to the game because the player can identify with their particular character, and if they've been able to customize them, then why not?  We have characters from other games running around in U2 now.  It all goes to an individual's preference of how they'd like their character to appear to them.

The last issue I'd like to address is the "Veteran vs.. Casual" argument that seems to crop up at every turn.

This is an attitude that seems to instantly divide any community.  Attitudes such as "Clans vs. Randoms" and "The developer isn't "catering" to the "Right" crowd.  Everyone should be able to pick up the game and have fun.  That's what gaming is about.  Nobody wants to go into a game and be insulted by "Veterans."  "Casual" gamers have just as much right to play the game as anybody else and being a "Veteran" doesn't give one group license to be rude to everyone else.

Finally, you have to ask yourself, "How did I become a "Hardcore" or "Veteran" player?"  You did it because you were once a casual gamer.  You picked up a game and enjoyed it.  Why would you then want to reduce that player base giving other people less of an opportunity to have the same enjoyment you have experienced?

This is Naughty Dog's game, just as any game made by a studio is that studio's game.  Yes, they make it for us to play and enjoy, but nowhere does the Terms and EULA's give greater rights to players that call themselves, "Hardcore Gamers."

Play the beta.  Decide then if you like it or not.  Getting bent out of shape because you've seen one thing that reminds you of another game isn't doing you any good.  In the end, its about the style of play and how fun it is.

Judging by Naughty Dog's previous titles, I'm betting I won't be disappointed.

(The views in this post are of a personal nature and in no way the opinions of Naughty Dog, Sony or Lithium)

Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 48 of 108 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7372 posts

But Cobra, don't you work for ND? At the end you sound li...

Apr 19, 2011

But Cobra, don't you work for ND?

At the end you sound like you are a customer?

Just curious :smileyhappy:

Message 49 of 108 (158 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30083 posts

I do not work for ND.   I work to moderate the forums thr...

Apr 19, 2011

samuelcd1997 wrote:

But Cobra, don't you work for ND?

At the end you sound like you are a customer?

Just curious :smileyhappy:

I do not work for ND.   I work to moderate the forums through an independant company and have no say in any aspect of any company's policies, game development, etc...

I am only here in an official capacity to moderate the forums.

When it comes to playing games or anything outside of the forums, I am a customer.   :smileyhappy:

Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 50 of 108 (158 Views)
0 Likes