Treasure Hunter
9167 posts

Agreed, really.   What frustrates/bums me out the most is...

Apr 19, 2011

Agreed, really.

What frustrates/bums me out the most is that UC3 doesn't feel like it was shaped by the players anymore. Which, I know, obviously none of us can have direct influence over what Naughty Dog does with their franchise, but after over a year of nonstop suggestions and feedback as per their request, it is a little perplexing to receive this: filled to the brim with features that no one ever asked for.

I'm fully aware that you can't just release the exact same game again 2 years later, and expect that to fly. You have to add new aspects. But what I don't understand is, why the abrupt shift to... Well, this? Blatantly borrowing ideas from Call of Duty is pretty disappointing to me indeed, and has turned the game into something almost unrecognizeable.

I know, none of us will be able to decide for sure until we play it. Heck, maybe the haters will love it, and the lovers will hate it. Who knows. It's absolutely up in the air. And I'm aware that I will relax considerably as long as I know there will be a mode without all these kickback/buddy/etc. shenanigans. I'm hoping Naughty Dog is wise enough to include as much, as that's really the only way to please all of their community, not just half.

I just am more confused than anything, at this point.

Also, I agree completely with your map discussion. The new ones look incredible, to be sure. No argument there. But after having played them countless times, it becomes heavily apparent that you need that general symmetry for an even playing field. All of said maps (except perhaps Facility) have either team at a noticeable advantage/disadvantage upon initially spawning, and that can be extremely frustrating. I'll take functionality over aesthetic appeal any day, and it's not like the old maps weren't also beautiful to look at. The new ones just seemed a shade too grandiose/ambitious, and as a result left their competitive playability behind.

We'll just have to see.

Message 51 of 108 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
750 posts

Superb post, thanks!

Apr 19, 2011

Cobra1 wrote:

a bunch of outstanding stuff

Superb post, thanks!

Message 52 of 108 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5921 posts

Interesting points...I'm not really sure how to approach...

Apr 19, 2011

Cobra1 wrote:

I have watched the trailer several times and read the blog post a few more, and I have the feeling we're focusing in on one or two items and making a mountain out of a molehill.

First of all, none of us have played U3 Multiplayer and watching a glimpse of a feature doesn't really give a full representation of how it will feel to us playing it.  The development team at Naughty Dog has had a lot of time to work on the new multiplayer features and judging from their past games, I seriously doubt anything was just added on a whim.

Secondly, we've seen a tiny bit of two new maps.  One of them is dynamic and changes halfway through the match!  How many more may adopt this feature?  We don't know.  I really think its too early to complain about maps, when we haven't even seen how they will be laid out.

People like customization of characters.  It brings immersion to the game because the player can identify with their particular character, and if they've been able to customize them, then why not?  We have characters from other games running around in U2 now.  It all goes to an individual's preference of how they'd like their character to appear to them.

The last issue I'd like to address is the "Veteran vs.. Casual" argument that seems to crop up at every turn.

This is an attitude that seems to instantly divide any community.  Attitudes such as "Clans vs. Randoms" and "The developer isn't "catering" to the "Right" crowd.  Everyone should be able to pick up the game and have fun.  That's what gaming is about.  Nobody wants to go into a game and be insulted by "Veterans."  "Casual" gamers have just as much right to play the game as anybody else and being a "Veteran" doesn't give one group license to be rude to everyone else.

Finally, you have to ask yourself, "How did I become a "Hardcore" or "Veteran" player?"  You did it because you were once a casual gamer.  You picked up a game and enjoyed it.  Why would you then want to reduce that player base giving other people less of an opportunity to have the same enjoyment you have experienced?

This is Naughty Dog's game, just as any game made by a studio is that studio's game.  Yes, they make it for us to play and enjoy, but nowhere does the Terms and EULA's give greater rights to players that call themselves, "Hardcore Gamers."

Play the beta.  Decide then if you like it or not.  Getting bent out of shape because you've seen one thing that reminds you of another game isn't doing you any good.  In the end, its about the style of play and how fun it is.

Judging by Naughty Dog's previous titles, I'm betting I won't be disappointed.

(The views in this post are of a personal nature and in no way the opinions of Naughty Dog, Sony or Lithium)

Interesting points...I'm not really sure how to approach this, though, since I don't want to engage a moderator in a debate.

The one thing I will say is that I don't think I was being "rude" to more casual players anywhere in this thread.

Message 53 of 108 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7372 posts

Ah, i see, thanks for clearing that up, I was always unde...

Apr 19, 2011

Cobra1 wrote:

samuelcd1997 wrote:

But Cobra, don't you work for ND?

At the end you sound like you are a customer?

Just curious :smileyhappy:

I do not work for ND.   I work to moderate the forums through an independant company and have no say in any aspect of any company's policies, game development, etc...

I am only here in an official capacity to moderate the forums.

When it comes to playing games or anything outside of the forums, I am a customer.   :smileyhappy:

Ah, i see, thanks for clearing that up, I was always under the impression all mods and devs were ND employes

Message 54 of 108 (159 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30083 posts

Its okay to debate as long as everyone abides by the rule...

Apr 19, 2011

Its okay to debate as long as everyone abides by the rules.  :smileywink:

I wasn't necessarily saying that "You" specifically brought up "Veterans" vs. "Casuals" but it is in the thread.  I wanted to address it in a single post and I replied to the topic through your original post.   

Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 55 of 108 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
483 posts

Do you get the red paw next to your name when you play?

Apr 19, 2011

Cobra1 wrote:

samuelcd1997 wrote:

I do not work for ND.   I work to moderate the forums through an independant company and have no say in any aspect of any company's policies, game development, etc...

When it comes to playing games or anything outside of the forums, I am a customer.   :smileyhappy:

Message 56 of 108 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7372 posts

That's a good question.

Apr 19, 2011

WavyneSs wrote:

Cobra1 wrote:

samuelcd1997 wrote:

That's a good question.

Message 57 of 108 (159 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30083 posts

I do not have a red paw.  Let's not derail the discussion...

Apr 19, 2011

I do not have a red paw.  Let's not derail the discussion though.

If you have a question for me outside of this topic, please use the forums messenger service.

Thanks  :smileyhappy:

Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 58 of 108 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3088 posts

I agree with pdiss.  And some of you are saying ''U2 was...

Apr 19, 2011

I agree with pdiss.  And some of you are saying ''U2 was unique but U3 isn't!''  U3 has the SAME mechanics (hopefully refined loads as well) + a sprint button which we can not judge yet.  We can still climb, jump, roll and do everything that made U2 unique.  What features were unqiue in U2?  Boosters?  No, picking up guns around the map?  No (any arena shooter).

The only thing im skeptical about is the loadouts.  Am i allowed to spawn with a sniper in hand?  Would that be fair at all?  Once U3 comes out U2 is going to collect dust.  Everyone should buy it anyways for the SP, as for the MP, totally new game. 

Why would naughty dog just refine a game that lost so many players over its life?  Why would they settle and try to make little progress?  (thats what a improved version of U2 would do).  They are want to be the ''go-to game'' this means appeal to everyone.  But this also means we should expect a hardcore playlist, so EVERYONE gets what they want.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - teffyz
Message 59 of 108 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
483 posts

Don't worry I'm not going to derail the thread. I only pl...

Apr 19, 2011

Cobra1 wrote:

I do not have a red paw.  Let's not derail the discussion though.

If you have a question for me outside of this topic, please use the forums messenger service.

Thanks  :smileyhappy:

Don't worry I'm not going to derail the thread. I only planned on posting here once.

Relating to the thread topic, I don't think I even care anymore. Now that I know my desires for Uncharted 3 isn't considered as valuable as the $$$ they make from the new temporary gamers they hope to bring in, I'm just a little eager to play the beta and hope it's better than the U2 beta was, because the U2 beta had me HOOKED.

Either I will like it or I won't. As I said in another thread, I give ND the benefit of the doubt, because UDF and U2/U2 Multiplayer are excellent.

PS: You should demand a paw from ND!

Message 60 of 108 (159 Views)
0 Likes