Sackboy
378 posts

Re: It's getting stinkin' ridiculous...

Jun 4, 2013

yodude2002 wrote:
Why is it that players who cause lag (i.e. with "bad Internet" seem to be the killers in the game, take multiple clips of bullets, and can turn around and quickscope you with a para while you reload?
Is that supposed to be blamed on their Internet?
How is this type of "lag" justified as crappy Internet?

What's your NAT type?

If you have "good Internet" or the best connection out of the other players, probably means you'll be hosting the match most of the time putting you at an advantage over those with "bad Internet". 

Also if you're playing late at night, there's a good chance you're not even playing in your geo-location or region which could make you the one with the "bad Internet" relative to the others. 

Message 21 of 40 (339 Views)
Wastelander
685 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 4, 2013

I’m not an expert but I believe the statements of the creator/narrator of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reNPK8XD-k4

Although it applies specifically to MW3, his assertion about lag compensation being implemented in online shooters makes sense from any software company’s business perspective – particularly Uncharted since it has such a broad international appeal.  As we all know, many countries have poor internet infrastructure and even players from countries that have good internet suffer when there is great physical distance between players in a match.  How do you allow for that?  Basically, lowest common denominator…the player with the slowest connection more often than not becomes the standard reference for resolving in game synchronization conflicts.  That’s why one cheater, lagger or lag switcher in a match often ruins it for everyone.

Bottom line…gaming companies can either implement some form of lag compensation in an effort to appeal to the broadest audience which roughly equates to greater revenue (through a larger player pool) OR implement no lag compensation and those with good quality internet would tend to have an advantage over those that don’t but the player pool would be much reduced.

Message 22 of 40 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

Jun 5, 2013
I do have issues with foreign lag, like anyone does..but when it happens against people who you know are right here in the USA, and you get picked off 2-3 seconds after being safely secured by a wall, there's no overseas issue to account for that.
Again, with foreign lag and poorer Internet structure, by default, should hold them still, not me. Their poor Internet structure does not suck the bandwidth out of my router, temporarily rendering my entire home network (computers, laptops, tablets, smartphones) virtually internetless.
Sorry, overseas lag doesn't account for that. There are cheaters using software manipulation to literally steal my bandwidth.
Message 23 of 40 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

Jun 5, 2013
Any time it happens, I notice a strong solid 8-10 mb download speed and good solid 3-5 upload speed drain to 0.05 or less download speed by testing it with speed test.net
And when I reset my ps3 it climbs back up to a strong connection.
That is not foreign lag causing that, nor is it someone else's poor Internet. It's called online game cheating, and ought to be stopped.
Message 24 of 40 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 5, 2013

yodude2002 wrote:
Their poor Internet structure does not suck the bandwidth out of my router, temporarily rendering my entire home network (computers, laptops, tablets, smartphones) virtually internetless.
Sorry, overseas lag doesn't account for that. There are cheaters using software manipulation to literally steal my bandwidth.

That sounds like WiFi mooching.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 25 of 40 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

Jun 5, 2013
It happens when I get held still around certain players. And the reason I know is because other teammates vouch for the fishy player's lagginess
Message 26 of 40 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Jun 5, 2013

Have you examined your WiFi AP?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Message 27 of 40 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

Jun 5, 2013
I also keep a close check on my wifi to make sure someone isn't on my network. Plus, it would take multiple moochers to drain my bandwidth that drastically...then it returning back to normal after my Playstation resets.
Too much evidence suggesting lag switchers and software hackers who are hacking me through my Playstation by using a hardwired lag switch or lag switch software.
Message 28 of 40 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 5, 2013

yodude2002 wrote:
1) I also keep a close check on my wifi to make sure someone isn't on my network.

2) Plus, it would take multiple moochers to drain my bandwidth that drastically...then it returning back to normal after my Playstation resets.

3) Too much evidence suggesting lag switchers and software hackers who are hacking me through my Playstation by using a hardwired lag switch or lag switch software.

1) Do you use WPA2 AES and a strong password?

2) Not really. One moocher can steal your entire bandwidth via downloading torrents.

3) Conspiracy theories are nice and all, but lagswitches can't technically "steal" bandwidth from other players. It doesn't work that way. Only WiFi moochers and people in your house can steal your bandwidth.

In theory, it's possible to flood someone's connection with many packets, but it's neither "stealing" nor lagswitching as you claim it to be.

There is a catch though: the attacker needs lots of upload to flood your connection and he needs to know your IP address (that's not easy to be found). For example, if you have 50 Mbps downstream, then the attacker needs to have at least 50 Mbps upstream to flood your connection. How many people have more than 1 Mbps of upload?

Not to mention that they would "freeze" (white plug icon) as well if they drained their upstream to flood your downstream, unless they have dedicated botnets for that job. Well, botnets are not exactly easy to be acquired in the first place and I don't think that anyone would waste them to flood UC3 MP players.

Trust me, very few people, if any at all, in this game possess the required knowledge to launch DoS attacks. Most of them are average Joes that were told where to buy a hardware lagswitch or how to use a software lagswitch. They know nothing about hacking or networking protocols.

Message 29 of 40 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

Jun 5, 2013
If a hard reset of my ps3 didn't usually correct the problem when this happens, I would consider your answer valid. If it's mooching, it would happen without even being on the Playstation. This issue NEVER happens while surfing on my phone, computer, or even while running Netflix on my ps3. Only while playing competitive UC3 (the main mp game I play)
Message 30 of 40 (236 Views)
0 Likes