Ghost of Sparta
13011 posts

Re: It's getting stinkin' ridiculous...

Jun 5, 2013

Then you had better download Wireshark (it's free) and investigate where that "flooding" comes from when you play UC3 MP. ND needs some solid proof, otherwise they won't bother.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/The-Last-of-Us-Multiplayer/Ping-filter-toggle-SUPPORT-for-less-lag/m-p/40782623
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 40 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

Jun 5, 2013
I will look into that. Thanks for the idea.
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 40 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2799 posts

Jun 6, 2013
Sounds like a DDoS. But that usually results in eventual interuption of service not just lag. And it requires a lot of effort on the offending party. Maybe too much to expect 1 time in a random lobby.
http://YouTube.com/0oBLiTZoo
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 40 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 6, 2013

@yodude2002

I’m not a network engineer (nor am I privy to ND’s Uncharted 3 code) so I have no definitive explanation for the effect you’re describing but have experienced it myself and so have my friends – so you’re definitely not alone.  The solution (actually, workaround) is to restart your system which is, of course, incredibly frustrating.   Network throughput  (and the potential impact that lag has on it) was not what I was commenting on though…I was talking about in-game lag and the lag compensation that purportedly exists in most (if not all) online shooters.  The result of which is that your kills don’t register for seconds afterwards,  getting shot around corners, etc, etc.

From my experience, it doesn’t matter whether in-game lag originates from players with poor connection speeds, physical distance between players or outright cheaters (lag switchers) – the lag compensation algorithms that are coded into the game will almost invariably favour laggers or lag switchers.  I hadn’t really heard about lag compensation until a few months ago…which is why I posted that link.  IMO, the video does a good job of describing what lag compensation is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reNPK8XD-k4

I’d suggest watching the video because the narrator describes the overall concept quite well.  In a nutshell, modern shooters have to have some sort of algorithms for resolving synchronization conflicts between different connection speeds.  One player’s connection will be the reference and if your connection speed differs significantly, then you will either benefit or suffer depending on whether your speed is slower or faster than that reference.  For those of us with good connection speeds, we usually come out on the losing end.

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 40 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1674 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 6, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:

What if you're getting distance lag? When I play with certain people, either I give them whiteplug or THEY give ME whiteplug.

Were you lagging today? You kept standing still. White plug? That Plunder match on Chateau was great, it was pretty intense.

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 40 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9751 posts

Jun 6, 2013
Yep dude. It got okay around the end part, but it was REALLY bad at the start.
Currently looking for GTA Online friends who aren't obviously bad sports.
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 40 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1674 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 6, 2013

TheStuntDouble wrote:
Yep dude. It got okay around the end part, but it was REALLY bad at the start.

What's your download speed, upload speed and ping? Go to www.speedtest.net and tell me your results. Just curious :smileyhappy:

By the way, if you can, use a wired connection for your PS3, rather than wireless. Wired is more stable. Also, go to the Network Settings on your PS3 and make sure Media Server Connection is set to "Disable"

I use a wired connection, my PS3 has a static IP address and that IP address is in the DMZ. I also have UPnP disabled, but if your PS3 doesn't have a static IP address which is in the DMZ, I would leave it enabled, provided your router supports UPnP and has it enabled.

DMZ = Demilitarized Zone and UPnP = Universal Plug n Play.

Sorry for rambling, I guess I'm tech savvy.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 40 (148 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9751 posts

Jun 7, 2013
Oh, I've done that before. Max speed 1.5mbps, I'm using an ethernet cable.

My parents just won't buy a better Internet because we have this free one.
Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 40 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1532 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

This is something that I always find weird. I'm sure Americans make up a large number of the player pool and you're all in the one continent and you guys always get lag.

Here in Australia, third person shooters are always given the cold shoulder for Call of Duty and the other war games which I can't be bothered remembering their names. Anyway, not a lot of Australians play Uncharted and the ones that do use very cheap tactics like RoF, Revenge, Quick Boom and all the other stuff that makes me sick to my stomach.

Australia doesn't exactly neighbour a lot of countries or continents who actively play Uncharted besides the Philippines (TSD :3) meaning we should get heaps of distance lag but that's the thing; we get next to none. Everyday, if I play for eight hours straight (so when I can't be bothered to go put on make-up and I'm sick of people) I might run into two laggers. Tops.

Weird thing is that everyone always complains about KSA and Mexico lagging and everything when it's the complete opposite here. I don't usually find a Saudi with a bad internet connection and as for Mexico, they are just always lucky. I have about four Smexi Mexi Chica's (Melina <3) on my friends list and if they can always seem to get a bit of a laggy grenade throw (like 1 sec delay) and they can blindfire T-Bolt's easy and all. Either way, I end up thinking, 'You son of a...'

Funny enough, the people who lag me to death are Japanese guys. You know those stereotypical Japanese'(s?) who always have the skeleton skin at a surprisingly low level and get you with a shotgun through cover and make you want to burn them, get high on their fumes and then ride into the sunset on your trusty alpaca? Yeah them.

Anyway, I kinda drifted off from the main point of this... so uhh, in short:

Australia = No lag

Mexico/KSA = No lag

Japanese = Silence, I kill you!

Bang Bang! #SniperQueen

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 40 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9751 posts

Jun 7, 2013
I'm PRETTY sure there's only like 10 people or less playing Uncharted in the Philippines though, so I understand the lag.

Most of my friends play (in order of preference, increasing): Counter Strike, CoD, MK, MvC, Soul Calibur, BF, Tekken, SF, [insert MMORPG game here] and/or Facebook (not really a game but they're there all the time).
Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 40 (93 Views)